Held a Ruger American today

jmr40

Saw one at the LGS, $359, in 30-06. Not bad, felt pretty good for the money. The magazine looks pretty flimsy, but if replacements are cheap enough and readily available it could work I suppose.

I still think the Vanguard, or Howa at about the same price is the most gun for the money if you don't mind a heavy rifle. They run close to 8 lbs whereas the Ruger is just a hair over 6. If I were in the market for a budget gun and wanted a lightweight rifle for carrying it would be the Marlin XL-7 or XS-7, followed by the Stevens 200. The blind magazine is a big plus over cheap detachable mags in my opinion. Don't mind quality detachable mags, but these don't inspire confidence.

black mamba

Jmr40, of those blind mag bolt actions, do any have a safety position of "on safe, bolt unlocked" like the middle position on a Mod. 70?

Was thinking about getting a low cost 30-06. Interesting you say the magazine looks flimsy. I had the same exact opinion about the magazine that came with my Ruger model 77 in 357 Mag. I don't know how Ruger might be structured, but I now wonder if the "magazine department" or "team" might not be keeping up with satisfying the rifle customer experience?
For what it's worth, considering your comment about this 30-06 mag, and my observation with my model 77/357 Mag, I'd be inclined to look at different brands before I buy my next 30-06.

taylorce1

Jmr40, of those blind mag bolt actions, do any have a safety position of "on safe, bolt unlocked" like the middle position on a Mod. 70?

The Stevens 200 does have a 3 positon safety on the tang. Simple and convienent to operate. Can't vouch for any of the other blind mag rifles he mentioned.

jmr40

The Stevens does, on the tang as Taylorce1 stated. The Marlin is a 2 position that does not lock down the bolt. The older Vanguard is 2 position, but locks down the bolt. Howa uses a 3 position safety as does the newer Vanguard series 2.

You can often find the older Vanguards new for $350 or sometimes even less. I like the improvements on the Series 2 versions, but they are selling for around $400-$450. Still a lot of gun for the money if you don't mind a heavy rifle.

I liked the Ruger, but the Stevens, Marlin and Vanguard/Howa have proven themselves and sell for about the same or less. I have no problems with a good quality detachable mag, but the Vanguard/Howa floorplate has proven to be reliable and there is not much to go wrong with the blind mag on the others. The Ruger may prove to work just as well or even better. It is just a question mark for me as of now. Time will tell and I may come to embrace the Ruger.

Having a 3 position safety, or 2 position that locks the bolt handle down is preferable, but If I were interested in something in that price range I'd probably go Marlin for a lightweight rifle to carry lots of miles, or the Vanguard/Howa for a heavier rifle.

e-bear

I have been considering the Ruger American Rifle in .270. I have always liked Ruger products and have owned several over the years and I have had nothing but great experiences with their customer service too.
That said, I need a rifle (yes dear, another one) thats is light weight and will reach out there to 200 yds or better and do it accurately.
Even though I like natural wood stocks I think the composite stock will be easier to maintain. The adjustible trigger is a plus for me and I also like the flush rotary magazine concept with its nice clean look. I just wish it came in stainless steel.
Im thinking the American in .270 and a nice Leopold scope, I would be set-up for those deer I saw this past fall way over on the other side of the field.
To top all that, my biggest reason for wanting one is I aint got one.

Palmetto-Pride

Ok I waited long enough "I wonder when the recall is going to come out on this rifle" it just seems that just about every new firearm Ruger has introduced lately they have a recall shortly after it's been released. Ok I said what others were thinking.......lol

TX Hunter

Earlier when I Saw this Rifle, I was a little upset, but I thought about it, and it dawned on me, There are Americans building these, the economy is bad, but the folks at Ruger were good eneough to produce an inexpensive rifle here, paying our fellow Americans to build them. So my recomendation is to support them on it, and buy them. Im sure they will be accurate, and If I know Ruger, if there is a problem with the magazines, they will take care of it.
All is good, and our ''Banner Still Waves'':D

mdd

Palmetto, I don't think any of us like recalls. As for ruger recalling products, my LCP was recalled shortly after purchase. They sent a postage paid box to me to return the firearm at their expense. While in their charge, they fixed the issue and also replaced the slide lock tab with a new one that had a more aggressive texture thereby making it easier to operate. When they returned it to me, the box contained my firearm (obviously) as well as a spare magazine, a hat, two floor plate finger extensions, and a very nice letter of apology from the president of the company.
I was impressed with the service and have no doubt that any potential issues with the American will be handled in the same manner.

Joe Chicago

Ruger does have great customer service (as I learned when I sent back a Red Label because the safety came loose and would move to 'fire' as I carried it). I would rather, however, buy a firearm that did not require recalls or trips back to the factory.

SharkHat

While I think it's safe to say that everybody would prefer to buy a firearm that didn't require a recall/repair to make it right, at least Ruger has the integrity to issue a recall if they discover that one is warranted.

I respect that.