Hedging my bets..

9x19

Picked this up at the LGS this morning. I had to go get my 15-22 pistol and this was just sitting there waiting to be adopted.

Henry side gate model in .357 - Can top off the magazine via side gate, but can easily unload it without having to cycle every round through the chamber. Mounted a Leupold 1x-4x 20mm because my vision sucks. :D

umP8VXm.jpg

kenny53

I think you are so kind to adopt a poor lever action. I do believe you will be very pleased with your gun. My 357 lever is a Marlin and is lots fun but I think the Henry is the better firearm;.

jetinteriorguy

I’m waffling back and forth between one of these and a long ranger. I already have a BBS in both .357 and .41 mag so am looking pretty hard at a Long Ranger in either .308 or 6.5 CM. I’m already loading 6.5 but am thinking from a supply point of view I might go .308. But then again from the supply side maybe .223 would make the most sense since I already load for it too.

stagpanther

6.5 creedmoor is one of the only caliber rifles and ammunitions I see still available at big box stores that otherwise have bare shelves. Why? dunno. MY LGS charged me $100 for 2 lbs of winchester 760 powder which may have been the last rifle power available in the entire state. I paid it only because I don't see this shortage resolving itself anytime this year.

TBM900

Many are doing the same, which is driving prices through the clouds
So you did very well at $800
I’ve seen auctions for CSBLs pushed to near $3,000, same for Timberwolf’s

I’ve harped on buying such to friends for over a decade, some listened, some laughed
Yet here we are

I’ve been snatching up Timberwolf Carbines every chance I could since they came out
I did the same with the Remington 7600 Police series of pump-action 556 & 762 rifles, Ruger Model 44’s, etc
Some folks laughed at me then, but they too have been fetching well into the $2k range

I’m actually surprised Remington and others haven’t started producing existing/new more PC/Ban Friendly firearms as there clearly is demand, and there will be a need. It sucks that we have allowed it to get this bad, but here we are.

Sanch

Hi 9x19,

Congratulations on your most excellent acquisition.

This might appear counterintuitive. I have given a lot of thought to buying a fast-handling, lightweight rifle identical or similar to yours. I hunt the Rockies exclusively. Big bucks are usually bedded down in extremely thick brush by 9:00 am. The only way to get a shot at them is stalking. You'll usually spot their antlers moving which is an indication they're deploying their senses of hearing and smell. You'll rarely see their bodies and rack size until they bolt from their beds. When they do, one fast, accurate shot is the best a hunter will get. Hence, a lightweight, fast-handling lever action chambered for .357 Mag would exceed perfect, especially at ranges of jump shooting bedded bucks. A .44 Mag would work as well, but for jump shooting bedded bucks, with precisely placed shots, either will fill tags equally.

musicmatty

That’s a beauty to say the least! I think it’s safe to say that the magazine tube on the Henry is no longer considered the loading point but rather a fast & safe way to unload the gun.

eb431b49-3d3d-49d7-ac18-391eb9a019cf.jpeg

ballardw

I'm feeling left out again. All the years waiting for .41 mag, which I did get from Henry, but they don't make the side-gate versions in .41. I was kind of hoping to add .41 Carbine with a side-gate to the herd.

I understand that I'm a minor market but they still list the other .41 version. I have a hard believing the frame would be that much different from the .44.