Heckuva Steal!!!

jgcoastie

At least in my opinion.

I picked up a Kimber 84M Select Grade chambered in .260 Rem for $500 yesterday. It has a Bushnell Banner 3-9x40mm scope mounted on it for the moment, I may wind up swapping it out soon. Though I'll wait until I get it to the range and see how it does.

It has some very light surface rust from being kept in a gun case for too long, but it's nothing that some transmission fluid and some 0000 steel wool can't take care of.

I've read mixed reviews on these Kimber rifles and I figured that even if it doesn't put up 1/2 MOA groups, I should still be able to kill a deer with it. My granddaddy put meat on the table with a Winchester 30-30 for his entire life, and I doubt it printed 3/4" groups at 200yds.. :rolleyes:

Sorry, I do not have pics yet, but I will post them soon, along with a full range report once I get out to the range this weekend.

jmr40

I have a stainless in 308 that is a fine shooter. There are a few that some people cannot get to shoot for some reason. You may well have stumbled onto a great deal because someone gave up on it.

At that price even if it won't shoot you can afford a new target grade barrel and still be ahead. I still think that a lot of the accuracy problems Kimbers are blamed for are really the shooters fault. While most of the rifles are capable of good accuracy, many shooters cannot shoot a 5 lb rifle accurately if they are used to shooting a typical 7-8 lb rifle.

Scorch

The Kimber rifles had some issues with the magazines in the past, but I think they have it fixed now. Some of the early rifles did not shoot too well, but I haven't heard any owners complaining lately. Maybe like jmr40 says, they are a very light rifle. They are definitely a nice looking rifle.

aarondhgraham

I don't know anything about the Kimber,,,

But I am familiar with the Bushnell Banner scope.

I have one mounted on an H&R Sportster in .22 LR,,,
The Other is mounted on an H&R Handi-Rifle in .357 Mag.

The one on the .22 lives behind the seat of my pickup truck,,,
I've had it almost 2 years now and it's clear, bright, and hasn't shaken apart.

The one on the .357 Mag is treated better as it lives in a cabinet,,,
But well over 1,000 rounds through it over the last 2 years,,,
Still clear, bright, and hasn't shaken apart either.

I know they are at the lower end of Bushnell's inventory,,,
But they have performed nicely for me so far.

Don't be surprised if you end up keeping it.

7MMGUY

I own four Kimber rifles, they all shoot under an inch at 100yds with handloads from a good rest. Kimber hads some QC issues in their attempt to meet demand but were fast to make repairs on return to the factory. Not making any excuses for Kimber but i would not hesitate to buy another one. Accuracy was never a problem with mine.

Transmission fluid and oooo steel wool>

Really?

If several other people can confirm they have cleaned light surface rust off with this combo, I will try it (on a Rem 870 20 gauge).

Never heard of this procedure before now.

jmr40

Never used tranny fluid. But regular gun oil and 000 or 0000 steel wool works fine. Touch up with cold blue if you have to.

jgcoastie

I use transmission fluid for my general purpose cleaner/protector/lubricator. No problems after quite a few Kodiak winters....