HEAVY TRIGGER PULL Mossberg 500

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
My 500 trigger went from normal trigger pull to requiring like 10 pounds or so while stored... Felt like I forgot to take off safety.

How can I deep clean the trigger group? Can it be dunked in boiling water?

It has never had a deep cleaning and is 20+ years old... Just sprayed it out with wd-40 or gun cleaner and a few drops of oil.

Brent

mete

Use a good quality gun oil , NOT WD-40 !! You can boil the trigger group with some detergent rinse and let dry. Then lightly lube with the gun oil.
Before you put it back in the gun check carefully to make sure everything is OK, no broken parts etc.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Yepper... Dunked in boiling water and scum, bugs and other debris was out before I even added the Dawn.

Oiled, re-installed and back to where she should be... funny thing... I hadn't even noticed 50% reduction in trigger travel until I got the TG working right. HUH... says me, that thing really has some travel again. All the creep and take up were gone when NASTY!
Brent

BigJimP

And see --- here I thought they made those things removeable ....SO THEY COULD BE CLEANED ...REGULARLY ....:eek:

Come on Brent, if they only wanted you to clean them once every 20yrs --- they would weld them in there .....:D ( those pins and springs are removeable / "some disassembly required" ....

scum and bugs and debris ....in there, oh my ...../ please tell me you'll clean it at least once a year ...please ....:D

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
BJP, I just might... Heck, for the first 10 years, my mossberg cleaning kit was a tall can od WD-40, a 3 foot stick of 1/4 inch dowel, a roll of paper towel and a can of 3-in-1 oil:eek: Shoot some WD down the barrel, wad up half a paper towel and jam down the pipe with dowel... use other half of paper towel to wipe off dripping WD, add shot of 3-in-1 and put away...:D

Of recent years, I sprayed out the TG with aerosol solvent cleaner and add a drop or 6 of oil to moving parts...

Brent

BigJimP

I know you like to live "lean" ....but cleaning a weapon is not a sign on weakness my friend ......

( put that can of WD-40 away ....and step back from the table ...) Repeat 3 times after me .....
I won't abuse my guns....
I won't abuse my guns....
I won't abuse my guns ....

Now that you feel better ....as you know .... 3:1 oil is ok ..../ just use a little more of it once in a while ( I mean, come on man, its only $ 0.40 a can ...) since I know you haven't bought any since 1960 ....

even Break Free is a better solvent that WD-40. But I admit, I do spray the outside of my guns with some WD-40 once in a while/as I wipe them down and put them away ( after they're cleaned) ...but not as a solvent, unless you have some WD-40 that still has Propane in it as the propellent ...

Stay well my friend ....you know I'm just busting your chops ....

as long as it works / keep doing it ...

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Yeah, it has been many years since I used the WD method... And I used to be more liberal with the oil until joining TFL and hearin' about over use...

now that i learn what the TG looks like in action (removed) when dirty and clean, I can determine when things are gettin' grungy... Them gun specific spray solvents are pretty high dollar... gonna replace the empty soon...

Brent