Heavy bullets in .45 Colt.

AL45

The heaviest bullet I have loaded in a .45 colt is a 357 grain lead WFN. According to load data it was traveling at around 1100 fps. Recoil was not bad in my opinion. I have fired it in a Ruger Redhawk and Blackhawk and carry it when hiking in Black Bear and Mountain Lion country. Just curious as to what others load in their .45 colt when in large predator country.

TX Nimrod

This could devolve into yet another “whats the best bear load” pi**ing match.....but I will simply answer the question.

When I lived in Alaska I hunted Kodiak Island blacktails most of the 27 years I lived there. Saw brownies almost every trip, sometimes too close for comfort. My .45 LC was often loaded with 300 LFN bullets over 17.0 grains of AA-9. That gave around 1050 fps in the short BH barrel. Killed a couple deer with it but never had to fire it in anger.

AL45

Thanks Tx Nimrod and no I don't want to get in one of those "best bear load" debates. I should have worded it differently. Let me put it this way. My cousin claims that anything over 300 grains is just wasting lead and that a 300 grain hard cast lead bullet will penetrate man or beast just as well as 325 grain or up in a .45 Colt format. I'm not disagreeing with him, just wondered what others thought.

mkl

I would tend to agree with your cousin. If I want a bigger .45 bullet I go to my 45-70 (Marlin 1895 rifle).

T. O'Heir

There's 360 grain LFN 'Ruger, Freedom Arms and TC only' loads on Hodgdon's site. Around 1100 fps. are Max loads.
Both Yogi and Snagglepuss are way faster than you'll ever be though.

Pathfinder45

I feel that the 45 Colt is generally at its best with cast lead bullets of 255 grains or so. That being said, it also works well with 300 grain bullets, especially in a rifle. I'm sure there are still a few remote locations with exceptionally large and dangerous game that might justify even heavier bullets, but then you would likely be better served by a more powerful rifle. Everything has limitations.

Mike / Tx

I run a 7.5" Redhawk in several calibers including the 45C. I personally have settled on a 280gr RFN cast from the Accurate 45-280C mold. I worked up to the load using HS-6 published by John Linebaugh The 45 Colt Dissolving the Myth.

I'm not in toothy critter country but can readily testify that this load with my bullets will penetrate a 200+ pound hog length wise. A wider meplat will disrupt more tissue and if of a low enough BHN will also begin to flatten at higher velocities. While not a real bad thing, it could limit penetration to a degree.

If I need more umph around my stomping grounds I go to the 454 loaded with the Lee 300gr RF moving along at 1550fps. I haven't been disappointed with it either.

Your load is about where my Colt load is velocity wise and long as the nose doesn't distort it should plow through plenty of bone and tissue if needed. That said, I'd REALLY hate to be in the situation where I really needed it. I just don't get along like I used to.

ligonierbill

I load a 360 Cast Performance 1.5 gr below the Hodgdon max for H110 in a Blackhawk. From my 7 1/2" barrel, it goes 1,172 avg/19.1 Std. A real knuckle buster.

PS: I mostly shoot 255 Missouri Bullet over 9.6 gr Unique. Gives me 1,068 avg/7.5 Std. Very pleasant shooting.

Last edited:

GeauxTide

A Brian Pearce article in Handloader 268 turned me on the the 285gr RCBS SAA SWC. Under 10gr of Unique, it clocks 1050, and penetration is measured in feet.

black mamba

I load a 340 gr round flat nose to the second crimp groove for more powder capacity using 18.8 gr of Accurate 4100 for 1175 fps. with great accuracy and clean burning.

WlAZeKi.jpg

rclark

I stick with 255g SWCs as my woods load here in MT. Load 13.0g of HS-6 under it for around 1100fps. Safe in both my Ruger medium and large frame .45 Colt revolvers... YMMV of course....