heavy bullet in 6.5x55

hornetguy

Does anyone have any real-life experience using the 160gr bullet in the 6.5x55 on deer sized game?
It was suggested to me that I try it, and it had crossed my mind a time or two, but was wondering if anyone has done it?
I'm mildly attempting to find a good, accurate load that doesn't result in quite as much blood-shot meat as I usually get with the 140gr. I've been shooting it at about 2600-2650fps.
I was thinkin the 160gr at about 2200fps might be a little less explosive.

They are also more EXPENSIVE.. :eek:

There is also casting, which I've never done for the Swede... I've been told it's a little difficult getting accuracy above about 1800fps with the very tight twist in these Mausers.

SHR970

The 160 round nose was made to expand at the lower velocities so you will see about the same expansion as some 140's at their standard velocities. You can easily do one of two things to reduce your rapid expansion that is no doubt anchoring your animals. Either work up a load at lower velocity (say 2400 fps) or change bullets.

What slug are you using now? Something with a polymer tip made to expand like crazy?

hornetguy

No... I've been using the Hornady 140gr interlock.

I had thought about going slower with the 140 as well, but I get such good accuracy with it at 2650, I'm almost afraid to change anything.
Who knows, though... it might actually get better..:rolleyes:

Jo6pak

I don't have any experience with handloading. But I have used 160gr round nose bullets for whitetail in the past. I bought a box of 160s before I went on my boar hunt with plans to use them, but never got around to rezeroing the rifle before I went on that hunt. So I used my usual Winchester Super X 140gr soft points, which worked like a charm.

Anyway, the following year I decided to use the 160gr bullets for whitetail. I did notice that my groups from the bench did open up a bit. The 160s did not seem to group as tightly as the Win. 140gr that my Swede loves.
I did shoot two large doe that year with the bigger bullets. One was a direct engine room hit at about 50 yards. Obliterated the heart, passed all the way thru, and dropped her on the spot; not much different than the 140s do at the same range and shot placement.
The second doe I hit a little forward and the heavier bullet broke both front shoulders and exited on the far side of the lower neck. I've found the same hit with a 140 will usually only break the near shoulder and stop inside the animal.

I was actually suprised that the heavier, slower, round nosed bullet seems to have more penetration.

Sorry, I don't know the load data for the 160gr cartridges. I bought them from a local guy who used to have a small gunshop in the area.

mete

Sadly the newer SAAMI specs lower the velocity .But even the old Norma specs show 2490 for the 156 gr so you're pushing it a bit ! The old Norma 139 gr was 2780.
Accuracy depends on twist but I don't know what rifles you have .
I've always used the 140 , either Norma or Hornady and never had excessive meat damage at 2750 and most of those shots were within 75 yds !
I had a discussion with European hunters recently especially in Sweden where SOME rounds are legal for deer but these were all heavy bullets. I asked if the performance of premium 140s equaled the heavy and they said yes [ Nosler Partition or Barnes all copper or similar].
It's a great cartridge especially if loaded to the original Norma spec.:)

SHR970

Have you considered tougher bullets like the Barnes X flavors or the partitions? Doesn't matter what you use, you are going to get some blood shot meat.

oneounceload

My old Swede carbine liked the Sierra 120 the best. While 140 and 160 were decent, the 120 really shined in the 100 year old gun

stu925

I haven't used the 160s, but my rifle really likes the 140gr Sierra Gamekings. They're very accurate and puts whitails down in a hurry. Never had one run more than 50 yards with my handloads. The only way I end up with any amount of wasted meat is if I actually hit the shoulder which I try to avoid, I hate wasting venison. I'm sure a 160gr through the shoulder would end up causing lost meat also.

Stu

jimbob86

attempting to find a good, accurate load that doesn't result in quite as much blood-shot meat as I usually get with the 140gr.

That's easy: don't shoot them in the meat.

Lungs are not usually considered meat, and are a large target on deer ..... true, a deer hit in the lungs may not drop to the shot, but they never go very far, and with a good expanding bullet driven at sufficient speed, leave a blood trail Ray Charles could follow.......

hornetguy

The Barnes X, or TSX, whatever the current iteration is, might be a good choice. Might even go with the 120gr'er at moderate velocities.

Lots of good suggestions here.. looks like I'm in for some "spearmintin".