Heavy Barrel or pencil? (Model 10)

shafter

I just wanted to see if there was a barrel preference on Smith and Wesson Model 10's. I have a 4'' pencil barrel on the one I own and I love it. I have my eye on one of the heavy barrel ones from Bud's so I want to see what you all think. I may pick one up for my sister to use occassionally. Are they alot heavier? Should I go for one?

Corona

I have a Model 10-5 with the 4 inch tapered barrel. Nearly 100% on its deep blue finish. Only one word to describe it.

Elegant.

But go get the heavy barrel. They make a nice pair.

wpsdlrg

3" heavy barrel is my favorite. I have a 10-8 from 1981... most accurate hand gun I own. Never liked the pencil barrels, they just do not look right to me.

Webleymkv

It's really more a matter of personal preference than anything. I, personally, like the more "vintage" look of the pencil barrel. The only practical difference that I've ever heard of is that some people prefer the pencil barrel because they feel that the taller front sight is more prominent and easier to pick up at speed though I've never noticed much of a difference myself.

Lightweight barrel for me.

Don't much care for the medium weight.

And, fortunately, they've never put the heavyweight barrel (full lug, a la 586) on the Model 10.

carguychris

Are they alot heavier?
I don't notice the extra weight as much as I notice the more muzzle-heavy balance.

FWIW I find that the 4"HB balances very much like the 5" standard barrel, but the latter is easier to aim precisely. OTOH the 5" guns are generally harder to find.

skoro

I have both styles. I prefer the looks of the tapered barrel but when it comes to shooting, they work equally well.

Bob Wright

I, for one, have always preferred my guns to be muzzle heavy, so would go with the heavy barrel. The Memphis Police Dept. at one time issued the Model 10 Military & Police with a 4" Heavy barrel.

The S&W Model 586 is just Wright for me.

Bob Wright

aarondhgraham

Depends upon barrel length,,,

Depends upon barrel length,,,
And I'm talking pure aesthetics here.

3" barrels I want to be stout,,,
4" barrels and longer I want to be tapered.

The one thing about the Colt Detective Special that turns me off is that anemic little barrel.

There is a 5" tapered barrel Model 10 at the Evil Pawn Shop,,,
I wish he would sell that thing before I succumb to the temptation.

Someone earlier used the same word I use to describe tapered barrel K-frames.

I wish those Model 10's that Buds is selling were tapered barrels,,,
At $269.00 each I would have bought two of them.

Aarond

CajunBass

Back in the day, I didn't care for the tapered barrel. I thought they looked quaint and old fashioned.

Today, I do like them, because they look "quaint and old fashioned."

100_0146.jpg

ThomasT

Like Cajun I like the classic old style look. I had a model 10 RHKP I stupidly sold. I have a model 65 357 that just a heavy barrel model 10. Nice gun but I am on the hunt for another skinny barreled model 10.

I helped my buddy find a model 10 with a 6" skinny barrel and that sucker is a pure shooter. I shot it a week ago and could kick my own butt for not buying it myself. He told me when he croaks its all mine. I am counting the days.

That same buddy bought one of the Buds police trade in guns. It was pretty worn on the finish and his must have started out as a skinny barrel gun and had a heavy barrel added. The barrel doesn't quite match the front of the frame so keep that in mind if you get a gun from Buds.

shep854

A 4" light barrel M10 is the most graceful pistol there is. 'Elegant' is an excellent word for this revolver. The heavy barrel is the revolver version of a Glock; eminently functional, but lacking any character.
#2 is a 4" Python, with a 3" M10 or 13 taking the bronze.

Just my humble opinion.:)

Wyosmith

The idea of making most handguns heavy is in opposition to the reason I carry a handgun in nearly every case. I don't mind a non tapered barrel on a 44 magnum or a 454 Casull, but I hate full underlugs and ribs on every handgun. To my way of thinking full under lugs and ribs not "features". Such things are just a way for the factory to not finish the work and try to convince people that it's a "feature"

KyJim

I prefer the pencil barrels for balance, at least in barrels of four inches or more. I have a couple with the medium, three inch barrels and they balance fine as well.

IDAHOMIKE

I say you need both. Those pencil barrels are darn good lookin, but the heavy barrels have areal business those look to them.