Heavy 223 bullets

USMC 77-81

My S/S Ranch rifle has a 1 in 7 twist and I wanted to try some heavy bullets. I picked up a box of 75 Grn. Hornady match bullets yesterday and will now assemble some loads using various powder and charge weights. Do any members have experience with heavy bullets?

Jimro

I've used IMR4064 and Alliant PowerPro 2000-MR under 75 and 80gr bullets.

I've tested up to max charges with both. Look for best accuracy between 23.8 and 24.5 gr of powder. One High Master told me, "Load 24 grains of powder under a match bullet and shoot it" and so far I haven't been able to disprove that advice. He was shooting 24gr of Reloader15 under 80gr Amax bullets.

I settled on 24.4gr of 2000-MR under the 75 BTHP and 80gr Amax bullets I use for High Power. Lake City Brass, Wolf KVBM556 primers. The ball powder meters much better through the Lee AutoDisk Pro, and 24.4 gr of powder was easy to get to with the double disk kit.

If I had to try another powder it would be CFE223. But pretty much anything in the 4895, Re15, 4064, Win748 burn range will do just fine.

Hope this helps,
Jimro

USMC 77-81

Gives me thought Jimro, I have IMR 4895,4064,7828, H 4895, Varget and W 748 with W748 metering the easiest. I'll be loading various charges from powders listed to test function in addition to accuracy. I'm wondering what sort of accuracy I can expect from the long bullets realizing of course that there will be other factors in play,so mine will be different than others but would like to hear how the heavy bullets shot for others.

Jimro

I expect my match loads to do between .75 moa and 1.5 moa with me doing the shooting using the irons on my service rifle, testing distance 100 yards.

The lot acceptance standards for Mk262 Mod1 match ammunition (using a 77gr SMK) is no more than 2 minutes extreme spread.

I'm sure I could develop a load that shoots tighter, but there is no need since I'm the weak link in the system right now.

Jimro

I've in the past tried 69 gr BTHP from Hornady. A bullet suggest by Hornady to use with a 1-7 twist and is stated so on its box label. Shot well out of my son's Colt. Haven't found a need to shoot anything heavier.

JimDandy

I've in the past tried 69 gr BTHP from Hornady. A bullet suggest by Hornady to use with a 1-7 twist and is stated so on its box label. Shot well out of my son's Colt. Haven't found a need to shoot anything heavier.

I went with Nosler 77 grain and 69 grain Custom Competition HPBT's in my Colt. My preference is the 69 grain as 77 starts to get into single shot length depending on the brand/design. For example I think the Hornady 80 grain A-Max can't be loaded to magazine length. Of course as I didn't have a large stockpile I ended up with 69 and 77's when I bought what I could find. I even picked up a batch of 55's. Unfortunately I haven't been able to make up and 69's or 55's yet as I don't have a ton of RL-15 to set up a load.

Edit to add: In a perfect world where supplies are back on the shelves, I'd save my 77's until I pick up a longer barreled upper for longer range shooting.

USMC 77-81

Thanks to all who commented, keep doing so as my eyes aren't tired yet. Regarding length, these 75 Grn. bullets are long, I am (relatively) confident that my 1-7 twist will prevent tumble to some range anyway. I've also taken into account magazine length restriction. I'll proceed by making up a dummy round to get the ogive close to the lands then adjust as needed to fit the mag while allowing the bolt to strip and chamber. Fireing function and accuracy (to include inspecting the target for clean round holes) will be done when the weather here warms a little. As a note to the Mini shooters here, I replaced the factory .080 gas bushing with a .045 and have not had cycling issues.

Jimro

The 75gr Hornady BTHP bullets are fine loaded to magazine length. The 75 AMaxs can be loaded to mag length, but are really best loaded to single load length for slow fire.

Don't worry about bullet stabilization with a 1:7 twist.

A 1:7 twist has stabilized even 90gr match bullets from a 20" barrel, although it is getting into the "iffy" range. The Kreiger 1:7.8" 20" barrels will not stabilize a 90gr bullet based on the reports of those who have tried it.

Jimro

USMC 77-81

Thanks again Jimro. I will need to go with mag length even if accuracy suffers a bit. I have numerous auto loading carbine length rifles and always take one with me when out on the ATV's, a second goes along when my wife and/or daughter go along. We have numerous critters here that can get you and the wolf packs here are becoming increasingly aggressive and territorial, dependability in funtioning is primary and, since in a tense situation shots would be relatively close, that would negate the need for precision accuracy.

MtnCreek

USMC, If your primary use for this bullet will be defensive (wolves or other med critters), take a look at Speer's 70gr Semi-Spitzer. Up to around 300 yds, it flies much better than it looks like it should.

USMC 77-81

i will take a look at the Speer semi spitz, I'm currently in load development mode for three .223 rifles, the Mini 14, AR 15 and a Kel tec SU 16 which, if the members here haven't look at the SU 16 for a truck/survival rifle I recommend doing so.

MEATSAW

I'll second the opinion on the Speer 70gr Semi SP. Its fantastic -- I shoot it out of a 1:9 HBAR and it is very accurate.

MEATSAW

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond or not covered by currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

My best groups with the 70 gr SP were 25.0 gr of TAC and 26.0 gr Varget. Primer was Remington 7 1/2 BR. COL = 2.205".

The Varget load averaged 2966 fps with a very low SD.

Your results may vary!

Last edited:

MtnCreek

My load with the 70gr speer is similar to that posted above. Bullets were moly coated and loaded with varget to a charge weight beyond hodgdon's max. Loading beyond published max is not something that I'm suggesting.

USMC 77-81

Completely agree with not recommending going above published max loads,I've been reloading for about a year now and while I read voraciously on a daily basis regarding reloading I still proceed with caution. I will state that my case prep is meticulous and I weigh every charge. Currently the only aspect I deviate from is COL in small increments. I hope others continue to respond with thier experince with the heavier .223 bullets, favorite powders, COL and other pertinent information regarding same. It's snowing again here but hope to get some shooting in starting in March but you never know. We have a saying here in No. Idaho, 'If you don't like the weather just be patient, it will change in about 5 minutes'.

MtnCreek

IMHO, don't invest a lot of time in prep'ing brass. Two important things for normal .223 brass through an autoloader are making sure the necks are within spec and the brass will chamber (properly sized).

Most of the bullets on the heavier side are match/target bullets. They're not really suitable to what you're looking for from your rifle. If you were loading for precision shooting, then additional brass prep and sorting (or purchasing high quality brass) would be needed.

But I'm not in North Idaho staring out a window at feet of snow, so maybe it's time well spent in your case. :)

Jimro

Sorting cases by year lots works "good enough" for shooting High Power at the club level. It is what I do and it produces ammo that mimics the performance for Mk262 Mod0 ammunition.

At the Bart B., David Tubb, Sheri Gallagher, or Nancy Thompson level, brass prep is probably much more worthwhile. Although Bart will say that you should shoot the absolute best ammo you can as it will eliminate one more variable from your shooting analysis on your road to getting better. It isn't bad advice.

Jimro