Heavier Recoil spring?

Jevyod

Hello, am rather new to handguns. Just purchased a Ruger SR45 and am really enjoying the shooting experience! However, I read on Buffalo Bore's website that when running their ammo, it might be a good idea to get a heavier recoil spring. How heavy should I go? and is it a good idea to keep the factory spring for plinking loads? I also cast, and eventually want to try pushing a 230 Grain cast up close to 900-1000fps, so I assume I will need the heavier spring for that as well.

lee n. field

For a new shooter, I'd say, best to avoid the exotic ammo for a while.

How heavy should I go? and is it a good idea to keep the factory spring for plinking loads?

Yes, keep the factory spring.

Wolff gunsprings is the usual place to look for aftermarket gunsprings. Usually, they'll have a "caliibration pack" with multiple spring weights.

However, they don't list anything at all for the Ruger SR series. I'm not up at all on the SR guns, so I don't know where you might go, if Wolff doesn't have them.

---edit to add---

Galloway Precision lists some stuff for the SR9 and SR40. They might be worth asking about the SR45.

Last edited:

Dragline45

Unless you plan on shooting large amounts of Buffalo Bore's hot loads, than a heavier recoil spring is not necessary. Running a box through it here and there with the standard recoil spring is fine.

g.willikers

About the only reason to change parts for a particular ammo is if that ammo is going to be the standard load for the gun.
Otherwise, changing the recoil spring might be detrimental to how the gun shoots with the other ammo choices.
Like Dragline said, is the Buffalo ammo going to be the normal load for this gun?
If not, it shouldn't be harmed by an occasional hot load.
Probably everyone who reloads has had a few of those.

Jevyod

Thanks for the replies! No Buffalo bore/ +p loads will not be the norm for this gun. My plinking load will be either the factory 230 grn fmj, or a 230 grn lead load at around 750 fps. Most of my shooting will be with these loads. So I will just keep the normal recoil spring in place.

michael t

I leave BB ammo at the factory No need for it in a SD pistol Lots of normal and +P round that will work With out the abuse of BB ammo. I think just over priced hype to get your money

TMD

A heavier spring may be great for absorbing some of the recoil and slowing the slide down during its reward travel but there's a big trade off. It also makes the slide close faster which in turn will cause damage to the frame over time. Sorry but no free lunch when it comes to playing with hot loads in a gun that wasn't meant for them.

Jevyod

So if not BB ammo, what would be recommended for carrying in the woods? I often walk where black bear are prevalent, and figured their ammo would be as good as any. And I know people say its way too small etc. but it's what I have so it's what I will carry. As an aside, I was out shooting it this evening, and it jammed 3 times on a 10 round mag. Seemed like the slide was coming forward too quickly to feed ammo reliably.