Heavier bullets in 9mm for SD

hgmeyer

I don't want to debate using reloads for self defense. I have all the confidence in the world that I make reliable, safe and effective ammunition.

I am, as an Illinois resident, going to be applying for a concealed carry license. I have settled on a small 9mm for a carry pistol.

My opinion has always been that for defensive rounds a heavier bullet is a better choice. So, in 9mm I am looking at 115, 125 and 147 gr loads.

Comments on bullets would be appreciated. My initial idea would be a 125 "Keith" LSWC pushed hard (fast as possible)

Clark

The most power I can get out of a 9x19mm pistol with with 158 gr .357 bullets, a throated chamber, Power Pistol, double compression of the powder, and re sized loaded ammo.

Just experimentally, the recoil is intolerable even with a 48 pound recoil spring assembly in a Glock 19.

DannyB1954

Since I don't really know what the circumstances where I will need it will be, I go with the Hdy XTP 124. It seems a good compromise between the extremes.

Marco Califo

The most power I can get out of a 9x19mm pistol with with 158 gr .357 bullets, a throated chamber, Power Pistol, double compression of the powder, and re sized loaded ammo.

Just experimentally, the recoil is intolerable even with a 48 pound recoil spring assembly in a Glock 19.
:eek:

If this is not published somewhere as a safe practice, then I do not think you should be suggesting it here, certainly not with out the required disclaimer.

I carry factory 9mm Winchester 147 gr Silvertips (also available as components so you can load your own) as my duty round, and would not bat an eye at switching to a +P 124 or 125 gr load. If these do not meet your needs, I do not think a pistol is your solution. I carry a Glock 26, fitted with a G19 magazine and grip extension, which enables up to 15 rounds = a snub nosed mid-sized auto with magazine capacity!

I do own, and prefer 40SW, but can live with 9mm performance.

Last edited:

Cirdan

124 grain JHP is good enough.

Before stepping up to +P, make sure the gun will take it. The Glock 26 will, but they warn it will wear faster.

I like and use 124/125 gr. JHPs in my defense loads and I like them charged with Silhouette that produces excellent accuracy, pressure stability and ballistic uniformity that you can confirm with a chronograph. It's also treated to give the lowest flash possible.

I like 147 gr. JHPs, but only when pushed supersonic. Data is hard to come by but once published by Vihta Vouri and 3N37 works very well. For lower pressure with higher velocity, AA#7 is about as good as it gets. With 3N38, the Lapua website gives V-V load data for the 147 gr. XTP @ 1.142"/29mm rated 1207 FPS from a 4" test barrel at Standard Pressure. Not +P. ;)

Clark

I like 147 gr. JHPs, but only when pushed supersonic. Data is hard to come by but once published by Vihta Vouri and 3N37 works very well.

That old 1994 VV1 book has the only published data that shows 9mm making the majors, but published load data is like cooking recipes.... not much science and engineering.

Power Pistol will make more power with heavy bullets in 9mm with less pressure than 3N37, by a wide margin.

Well Clark it was both the #1 and #2 load guides. As far as your Over-Loads, if that held up in the real world why do NO IPSC loaders making 9mm Major use Power Pistol? They're not out to push pistols to the brink or just short of failure as you do. Their aim is to get the highest possible velocities with STABLE pressure. That field is dominated by 124 gr. JHP charged with Silhouette, 3N37, HS-6, True Blue and now Autocomp. ;)

Clark

I don't know for sure why they do stuff, but I recently heard a shpeal as to why they use less spring than would be good for the gun or their hands.... it gets them back on target faster.

Urban_Redneck

I've been experimenting with 147gr plated bullets for IDPA, they shoot very well, but, impact is noticeably higher. I'm debating a new front sight vs. going back to 124gr loads at this moment as I need to order more bullets :eek: (I carry Rem Golden Saber 124gr +P)

Just something to think about.