hearing aids

rebs

For you guys with hearing aids, do you remove them and put on muffs or when shooting or put muffs on your ears leaving the hearing aids in ?

lamarw

I used to leave them in until I lost one. Different reason than you were inquiring about. I shoot out back and not at a range. Taking the muffs on an off caused me to accidental, and unknowingly at the time, dislodge the left hearing aid. I was not able to find it even with retracing my steps. The brown or flesh color camo'ed it with the environment.

Some muffs are better than others and some firearms are louder than others. Some folks like to double up with ear plugs and muffs. Then there are times when you need to hear enough when others are around and when there might be a range officer. If I am by myself which is most of the time, I remove them while using muffs. So, I guess it all depends.

TailGator

I take them out and store them in a pill bottle, then double up plugs and muffs to save what hearing I have left.

Lavan

I take them out and store them in a pill bottle, then double up plugs and muffs to save what hearing I have left.

Same here.
In addition, I remove them on the way to the range.

It keeps things in perspective so you have a level you can check when you leave the range.

SOME guns will defeat even the MOST occlusive hearing protection.

High intensity rifles with muzzle brakes should not be allowed to be near other shooters in any range. OR....as my club did...provide barrels to shoot THROUGH to minimize the insane blast.

BUT.... they didn't enforce their rule and ...THAT...is when I lost my hearing.

Right through Peltor active muffs.

:mad::(

Doyle

Pardon my ignorance on this subject but could someone please answer this:

Do any of the "normal" hearing aids function the same way as the "hunting and shooting" hearing aids? I.E. they amplify normal sounds but have a cut-out for high decibel sounds.

T. O'Heir

"...cut-out for high decibel sounds..." Mine does not. Suspect it has a lot to do with how much the bionic ear cost though. Mine was grand. It has an ear piece with the amp sitting behind my ear. It comes off if wearing ear defenders.
A Walker's Game Ear doesn't reduce the decibels enough. Their advertising says only 29 dB reduction. Typical gun shot is 140-190 dB. 140 minus 29 is 111. 85 is enough to cause hearing damage over an 8 hour day.

TailGator

Doyle, modern hearing aids usually have some sort of a cut-off where they stop amplifying. They also vary their response at different frequencies, and are programmed for the specific losses of the wearer. The cut-off thus varies with the frequency. That is my understanding as a wearer of hearing aids. FWIW, mine give me feedback when I cover them with muffs, giving me another reason to take them out as I prepare to shoot.

Doyle

Thanks for the info. I guess the Walker's Game Ear offers "a little" protection - enough to make it useful for the occasional shot on game while in the woods but not nearly enough for range use.

That is the information I was trying to get at.

DaleA

A friend of mine at a company I used to work for came to lunch one day with new hearing aids. He went on and on about the new technology and how great his new hearing aids were. When someone FINALLY asked him what brand they were, he looked down at his wrist and then looked them straight in the eye and said: "It's 12:32."

He was a never ending font of humor.

He'd been in the military and said as a junior officer they always made him go out and announce to the morning formation when it was time for the semi-annual hearing tests to which he said the formation of troops never failed to respond vigorously with "WHAT???"

David R

Some block the canal, some do not. The ones that do can be turned off.

My Phonak do not amplify gun shots and do not block the canal.

There are many levels of quality.

David

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

AzShooter

I keep my hearing aids in and use noise cutting muffs, Pro Ears for my muffs. This way I can still hear the range commands, my friends talking to me and the sounds of the shots are muffled as needed.

Gary Wells

Depends upon the hearing aids and the muffs. With good muffs you can generally leave them in. With cheap muff you generally cannot leave them in. Some shooters wear ear plugs on top of the hearing aids and under the muffs and that works well for some.