Heard some stuff today...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was in Wal-Mart today looking at their selection of ammo. There was another customer and I looking when the sales assoc behind the counter say's "this is all we have, and our DC is out too. So when this is gone, it's gone." Then she replies that she had another customer come in today that works at the Lake City Ammo plant nearby and he states "we're shuting down production and we're going to start manufacturing *perishable* ammo" such as give a certain shelf life. Is there any validity to this? The clerk also said it's to help with all the stock piling going on:rolleyes:

Your input please...any facts in regard to this or is this more BS to add to the fire.

Chris_B

I call bull. To make deliveries they will have stock sitting in storage. They will waste their own shelf-life

bacardisteve

i call bull. how are they gonna make perishable ammo reliable. and lake city at that c'mon they make a lot for the military and there is now way the military is gonna take perishable ammo.

fastforty

Electronic label on box:

"This ammo will self-destruct in 5... 4.... 3....."

I'm sure there are those who *wish* that this could be done, but it's a pipe dream.

Tom2

Gee I guess if they start to make perishable ammo, that will make my stock of primers just like little gold coins, and my powder like gold dust. Tell you what, whatavya got to trade for a carton of real, honest permanent primers? Got a Rolex or a sports car cluttering up your garage? :D

rickyjames

i was in a walmart in phoenix today and they had more ammo there than i have seen in months. the shelf was stacked 10 wide 6 high and 3 deep on both federal and winchester 9mm. 223 ammo was plentyful as were 38's and 357's. i only saw 1 box of 45's and no 380's 22's and 22 mags were plentyful as was a wide variety of hunting rifle calibers. anyway it looks like good news at least at that store. they did have a 6 box limit tho.

SigP6Carry

We're still pretty dry here in CI for certain calibers and swimming in others. And the only place that'll talk straight about ammo shortages is a small shop I frequent. Prices are all over the places (from $10 to $25 for a box of 50 WWB 9mm) and I hear a new rumor about ammo every day.

Orlando

Dumbest thing I have heard yet. Lake City to close down and make perishable ammo? You do know they supply out troops with ammo and you really think they would do such a thing?

rcupka

We just had a new Walmart open up in Saline MI. Plenty of rifle and shotgun rounds but completely out of Handgun rounds and bulk .22lr

MTT TL

Was in Wal-Mart today looking at their selection of ammo. There was another customer and I looking when the sales assoc behind the counter say's "this is all we have, and our DC is out too. So when this is gone, it's gone." Then she replies that she had another customer come in today that works at the Lake City Ammo plant nearby and he states "we're shuting down production and we're going to start manufacturing *perishable* ammo" such as give a certain shelf life. Is there any validity to this? The clerk also said it's to help with all the stock piling going on

It must be true. I can verify I heard the same thing at a gun show nine years ago.

shortwave

Perishable ammo, Hmmmm. Wonder if it has to be refrigerated? Could it be canned or smoked(as in curing)?:confused:

Last edited:

koolminx

Can ANY of you honestly come up with a way to make the nitrocellulose have a shelf life?

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnKSa

Administrator

2cooltoolz

This old meter's gettin' old. but I gotta break it out for this one...

attachment.php

Attachments

• BS Meter.gif
    BS Meter.gif
    2.9 KB · Views: 655
Status
Not open for further replies.