Heard from S&W

Mastrogiacomo

Just wrote to Smith and Wesson about my model 442. They said to send it to them and if the gunsmith can't find anything wrong, I'll be contacted. I'm sure they probably won't ease the trigger pull for me, but when dry firing the gun recently for both dominant and weak hand, I noticed a pinching on my fingers. They want a letter accompanying the gun with the problem cited. What should I tell them I want done?:confused:

I've also got to send it FedX. I don't want to freak out the postal worker. Do I tell them I'm sending a handgun?

alamo

Yes, you are required to. It shouldn't be a problem. I had a clerk not know what to do once and they checked with their supervisor and everything was fine.
FEDEX rules require you to ship it priority overnight (the most expensive way). If you are paying for it yourself, I wouldn't automatically ask to ship it that way. Both times I've used Fedex, I waited to see if the clerk would ask me how I wanted it shipped & both asked if I wanted to ship 2nd day, overnight or priority overnight. I chose 2nd day and saved a bunch. Priority overnight shipping it not a law, it is just Fedex's rules and apparently many of them don't know their own rules.

Pinching your fingers?

That's pretty easy to do with a J-frame. You have to adjust your hand and trigger finger position.

Mastrogiacomo

Mike -- do you think I should try and break in more and see what gives? I'd like to send it to Smith and Wesson for work but not if it's going to cost me and if they can't do anything with it. My NRA instructor didn't change the way I held the 442 so I'm not sure how else to hold it.:confused:

Well, if your finger is being pinched between the trigger and the trigger guard, you need to change the positioning of your finger.

How many rounds to you have through it?

38Mike

Maybe try experimenting with different grips. I'm in the process of breaking in a 442 also. I took off the boot grips that came on gun, replaced them with wood J frame grips and Tyler T grip adaptor. I'm shooting a lot better with this combo.....just a thought...

Mastrogiacomo

Yes, I changed those grips -- first thing to go! :D I don't want to rush to send this to Smith and Wesson. They may not do a thing to it so it'd just be an expense and a waste of time. As for how many rounds, I haven't actually counted. Out of a box of 50, I may have four or five rows left, give or take a row. I still have at least two more full boxes, maybe three of the target range bullets. Shows you have much I enjoyed the experience; I have only one box for the 9mm left. It hurt to fire the 442 so my instructor told me to switch to the Beretta, which helped me to relax somewhat and my hands to stop shaking.:p

Old Fuff

When I needed to send a gun back to Smith & Wesson they sent me an e-mail explaining a procedure where they, not I would pay the shipping charges. I would check this out with S&W Customer Service before I sent the gun in.

Part of you're problem is that the back of the trigger can pinch the finger against the front of the rear part of the trigger guard. If this is what is causing your trouble a small pin can be inserted inside the trigger return spring that will work as a trigger stop and prevent the trigger from going back far enough to pinch your finger. The trigger only has to go far enough to fully rotate the cylinder to the next chamber and release the hammer.

Simple, easy and not expensive - but it does require careful hand-fitting in each individual revolver.

Blue Duck357

I had a nasty pinch going on my trigger finger with my 65 when I first got it. It was getting me between the trigger and the frame and several pairs of grips did not help the problem.

Finally figured out the 65 bit me because the top of the trigger where it starts into the frame was not rounded on this gun unlike the older guns I had. 10 minutes with the dremel just to lightly break the sharp edges at the top of the trigger no more issues:)

Mastrogiacomo

What should I tell Smith and Wesson -- the trigger is pinching me? I don't know how to talk technical with them. :) This is the best way I can describe it but for me, it's part of what makes the 442 unpleasant.

RdB

Why don't you just take a ride down to the factory? I've read that your out of work...sounds like a nice ride, plus you get to check out the REALLY nice range they have there, and the factory store. I bet it's a lot less for gas than shipping!

Mastrogiacomo

Well, I am out of work (but still trying, keep getting passed over when they hear I don't have a Class A). However, I am still in school with my computer classes. A trip to Springfield just isn't possible which is why I'm trying to figure how to word the letter right for what I need done to the revolver.:)

Kentucky Rifle

Mastrogiacomo...

I'm from the "Tamara" school of thought on heavy triggers. She didn't use them on her 296, but I sent off to A-Zoom for some GOOD snap caps, loaded them into my 331 and snap fired the bejezus out of it. The double action is really quite light now.

KR

johnbt

My 442's trigger didn't pinch a big ole wad of skin behind it, but just a little - like you could get with a new pair of tweezers. The problem was that the rear edges/corners of the trigger were sharp. Somebody already mentioned this, but I'm not going to say take a Dremel to it.

I rounded both of those edges off using a small emeryboard. Ask around or buy some cardboard fingernail files. Use one of them on your nails to smooth it down a little or sharpen an old knife. The boards are pretty gritty when new. You can use a knife to cut it to a manageable size if you like and file away (little needle files work too.)

If you don't want to take the trigger out of the gun, then use masking or duct tape to protect the trigger guard and all around the trigger.

It still might grab skin, but it won't hurt as much.

If this isn't clear, or won't solve your problem - I'll be back later.

John