Headstamps

Bucksnort1

Here are some questions about head stamps.

Regarding head stamps. While sorting 45 ACP brass, I've come up with a few mystery head stamps. I can't find them in my head stamp site.

1. One case has FC (Federal, I assume), 62 (year) and NN (?).

2. I can't find HPR.

3. I can't find WMA.

While looking for FC NN, I noticed another FC from Yugoslavia.

When I see FC as a head stamp, is this the U.S. Federal? According to the site, one is U.S. and the other is Yugoslavia.

Xfire68

HPR is a company out of AZ. I personally love their ammo.

http://www.hprammo.com/

The WMA seems to be showing up in Winchester white box but I am not reporting from a first hand experience.

Not sure about the NN on the FC brass.

Nick_C_S

I can't find HPR.

HPR stands for HyPeRclean. They're a small boutique company out of Arizona.

They make excellent ammunition BTW.

I bought a bunch (about 800 rounds) of their 10mm ammo out of desperation (nothing else available; and I had no brass to load my own) during the peak of the shortage. The bullets themselves are Hornady XTP's. Hot rounds. Anyway, I've been reloading the brass for over two years now, and they seem to be holding up pretty well - that's a good 10+ cycles or so; and 10mm isn't known for its longevity.

I have since purchased a bunch of Starline for 10mm; and comparing them with the HPR's they seem identical (save the headstamp). So I think HPR is getting their brass from Starline; but I haven't verified it.

P.S. Oops, didn't see post #2. Coffee hasn't kicked in yet :D

Metal god

I don't buy a lot of factory ammo but when I buy 45acp it's Winchester white box from walmart . None of that brass has a head stamp WMA . It just says Winchester 45 auto

Nick_C_S

I don't always buy factory ammo; but when I do, it's Winchester White Box :p

IMO Winchester makes the best brass.

I recently bought a new 1911 (Kimber - not particularly impressed; but that's for another post) and 300 rounds of WWB to break it in. Especially for 45 ACP, I consider WWB (230 Hardball) to be the "baseline" ammo. If a 1911 doesn't digest WWB, then it's probably not going to digest anything right.

Sitting on a towel in front of the TV, is the 300 pcs of brass drying from the ss pin tumble. They're all processed and ready for reloading ;)

RC20

If you want to check mfg to head stamp, weigh the cases on an electronic scale.

Same mfg will fall in the same range weight no matter whose stamp is on the head.

I did that with Barnes and confirmed its RP.

Interesting they all have a range and so far none I have check overlapped.