Heads up: there's some special-run Ruger SA wheelguns...

Jim March

Check this out:

http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/products/cfHandlebarDoc.tpl

The New Vaquero variants are kinda cool. Weirdest is a 7.5" barrel 357, which I wouldn't recommend unless your wrist strength is off-scale! So far as I know that setup has never shipped before.

But the real kicker is towards the bottom: a revival of the mid-frame 357 Blackhawk Flattop. Sure enough. And in both blue and stainless - the latter has never been seen before so far as I'm aware. Very nice.

For those not aware: these mid-frame Blackhawk 357s are a revival of the 50th Anniversary 357 Blackhawk Flattop, originally shipped in 2005. Now...those are all gone now, but about 16,000 were made last I heard. They turn up regularly in new or mint condition used shape on GunsAmerica, GunBroker or the like and seem to go for about $$450-500. So brand new, I'd try and pay less than $550 for the new blue variant, $600 for the stainless.

Put another way, this is the same gun as the new standard run of 44Spl Blackhawks except in 357. They're all basically the same gun.

The Taylor's website lists no special work done on the springs, trigger feel, sights, etc. They're "standard Ruger production" except for the grip panel medallions.

One more detail: Longhunter's Shooting Supply is both a Ruger and Taylor's dealer so while they're not listed in his online catalog, I'd be willing to bet he can score them and do his pre-tuning deal on them at a fair price. Call and ask. Probably cost an extra $50 or so overall but you get a well-tuned piece with any possible birth defect situation either corrected or sent back before you ever see it.

http://www.longhunt.com/

These are NOT showing up on Ruger's site under "distributor exclusives", for unknown reasons. They might show up later. No idea on the production runs of these but if typical the Blackhawks will get maybe 1,000 to 1,500 each of the blue and stainless.

David the Gnome

I noticed in the descriptions that it says "case hardened frame" rather than "case colored frame". Does that mean they have real case hardening this time instead of some painted on finish? Might be worth picking one up just for that if it's true.

Jim March

Yeah, I saw that. Call Taylor's and ask I guess. Odds are it's just a revival of the fake-case for those that are into that.

Whoever wrote the ad copy for this oughta be flogged. There's also a brief throwaway line about "custom action" of some sort...no idea what's going on there either. Spring kit maybe.