Heads up! Some MD laws effective 1/1/2002 & some questions.

rob_p90

From the NRA/ILA Firearms Laws section:

"Effective January 1, 2002, a person must compete a firearm safety course that meets state police standards and approval before acquiring a handgun or regulated firearm."

--Does reguated firearm also refer to a long gun, meaning that I would also have to take this course for such arms?

"A person who is not a regulated firearms dealer may not sell, rent, transfer, or purchase any regulated firearm without going through a regulated firearms dealer. "

--It would appear that the govt. wishes to stop the willing of and "simple" gift giving of arms.

"A dealer may not offer for sale or transfer any handgun manufactured on or before December 31, 2002, unless the handgun is offered for sale or transferred with an external safety lock that is attached to the handgun with a key or combination lock. Beginning January 1, 2003, handguns manufactured after December 31, 2002, may be sold or transferred only if they have a disabling or locking device that is built into a handgun and is designed to prevent it from being discharged unless the device has been removed or deactivated. The police and military are excluded from this requirement."

--FYI. Buy one a month, it's the law. I suppose the external lock in this case refers to the goofy little gadgets such as magazine locks and those silly looking combinations locks found on the side of revolvers. Would this be correct? We could very well be looking at a de facto ban on handguns as companies may not wish or are not able to ship handguns with these specifications.

The full text of the MD law, effective 2001 here:
www.nraila.org/GunLaws.asp?FormMode=Detail&R=MD&T

dZ

MD code:

(r) "Regulated firearm" means:
(1) Any handgun as defined in this section; or
(2) Any assault weapon as defined in this
section.
(s) "Regulated firearms dealer" means any
person who possesses a valid Maryland regu-
lated firearms dealers license issued by the
Secretary.

MikeK

rob;

How long have you lived in MD? Regulated firearms do not include most long guns. You may obtain a list from any gun store or the state police.

The locks effective in 2003 have to be built into the gun, so your assumption is probably correct.

If you would like to do something to fight some of these rules visit www.mcsm.org

The next meeting is Tuesday 8/14. It may be a 45 minute or more drive from Baltimore depending on which part of the city you live in.

If you can't make that, try www.mcdl.org or join one of the clubs at Associated Gun Clubs - web search will get you more info.

Hope to see you next week.

rob_p90

Unfortunately, I'll be away on vacation at the time, so maybe in the future. Plus, I live a bit north of Balto. (Cockeysville). I've lived hear all my life. The shooting hobby went on hiatus for awhile for me, but I've been getting back into it over the past 2-3 years, so some things are still new to me. Except, of course, my opinions.

I'll cruise the sites as soon as I can.

I also have mixed feelings about MSP certified training. They'll have my name, but it wouldn't take too long to look it up anyway and "restrict" me. OTOH, I kind of think it would be cool to have training by the MSP.

dZ

Much has happened since our last report to you: The state defends its case in much the same way as it adopts
regulations, which is to say, getting them to produce anything is like pulling teeth. They do everything possible to run
the clock while avoiding going in front of a judge. They've missed legal deadlines, and avoided answering some
questions on the record. It took a court order to get them to even partially answer interrogatories (some of which
remain not fully answered) and to produce Mr. Don Hopkins, Executive Director of the Police Training Commission,
for a deposition. Much of what we are about to share comes from either his answers to our questions or from records
made available to us after extensive delays.

Put this in perspective: This administration enacted legislation behind the premise that people die daily for want of
safety training. If they believed their own bull, it wouldn't take a lawsuit to make them do their job; they'd have had it
up and running the moment it was signed into law. What drives this mandate has nothing to do with safety.

Where are the regulations? Only after we filed our lawsuit did the administration publish a draft proposal for
implementing the new law. The state wants you to believe it was working hard on deep technical details from April of
2000 (when the legislation was signed into law) to June of 2001, when it published its first draft. But the truth? The
proposed regs directly mirror the law, and nothing more. Normally regulations describe how the state intends to
apply a law, but the state has chosen to leave the training regs ambiguous so they can fill in the blanks later. Even a
bureaucrat should be embarrassed to have the law and regs presented side by side, exposing how little was done
over 14 months of alleged effort. Even if you believe the regs have substance, the record shows the commission
approved them in this form in November 2000, then did nothing further on them … until we filed suit. The Dept of
Public Safety wants you to believe this mandate wasn't their idea, and that they were surprised to get it. The truth?
Records show that training mandates date back to 1999, when Secretary Stu Simms inserted it in his final report of
the Task Force on Childproof Guns, responsible for drafting SB 211 in the first place. (In fact, the administration has
handled the law as Simms first proposed it, not how the legislature enacted it.) Simms also told the legislature that no
funds were either required or budgeted for the implementation of this mandate. The truth? Budget records show
the Police Training Commission received $285,810 this fiscal year, and apparently need that much again in order to
get the program off the ground. This is how new million dollar bureaucracies are born.

If the draft regs don't say what police intend to do, then how would we find out? In short, we wouldn't have.
Apparently they intended for the public not to learn specifics until after the restrictions take effect. (Just like with
ballistic registration.) Only through court orders and our process of discovery in the lawsuit are we starting to get a
picture of what they really have in mind for us: a de facto licensing system for handgun owners.

They intend to compile a new Maryland State Police database of authorized handgun purchasers, disguised as a way
to check training. This is governmental overreach incarnate. The justification? "Make it easy for state police."

Here is what's coming to light: The class will only consist of a two hour video administered by troopers. (There is no
evidence they began work on a video script before we filed suit.) The script is authored by someone who is
apparently unfamiliar with gun handling, and most of the material upon which the script is based came directly from
anti-gun groups such as the Violence Policy Center and Handgun Control. To get your regulated firearm in Maryland
you must first listen to propaganda presented by the Brady Bunch with full attribution to them.

Your name and identifying information will then be used to register you in the new MSP database of authorized
regulated firearm purchasers. At the same time you will be issued your ID card. The draft made available to us clearly
indicates NO CARD, NO GUN. The restriction will apply to all regulated firearms, not just handguns. Want to buy an
AR-15 rifle? You'll need to show you took the handgun class and present your new ID card.

The law theoretically allows someone who has taken an approved safety class elsewhere to be exempt from state
training. So far the Commission has no contemplation of what other classes may suffice, and is not familiar with NRA
classes. Should outside classes be accepted, then the instructor will be required to register his students. (Just
imagine that: NRA certified basic firearms safety instructors having to report their students to the state police.) They
may intend for someone teaching another class to just play the state's tape; that would mean that an NRA class would
be required to present Brady material in order to remain legal in Maryland. If you are exempt by virtue of being an
honorably discharged vet, then you may make application to get into the MSP database by supplying a copy of your
DD214 and supporting information to be determined. They'll then send you your card.

The state contends it will have courses in place by sometime late fall, but at this point, we simply don't know what to
believe. Many issues remain open. No sites have been determined for classes, but it appears they are planning one
per county; they are investigating use of MSP barracks and Guard armories. There is no resolution on whether sites
will be handicap accessible, or convenient to public transit, nor do we know at what times classes will be offered. We
don't know if the class will be given in Spanish as an option. We don't know how long it will take for your registration
data to be entered in the new database (a new waiting period) before you will be permitted to apply for your
handgun purchase. These are all things you'd think would have been clarified in regulations.

All the evidence available so far paints a plain and simple picture: The state was lazily creating a new barrier to
handgun ownership (stretching out class preparation beyond when the restriction will take effect) when it was
surprised that we objected. At that point the scramble was on to slap something together to show they were doing
their jobs, then repaint history as best they could in order to minimize their exposure. But some things they can't
hide. One look at the draft regs will confirm they had no contemplation of exerting themselves to actually clarify
ahead of time how things would work. And we now know more effort was being invested into creating the new
bureaucracy than in creating a valid safety class that might just save lives.

Bottom line. Now that they are exposed, administration leadership intends to wait to the last minute, deploy a token
"class" that even legislators who voted for it candidly say wasn't what they intended, then cry 'no harm, no foul' as to
how they got there. I think they truly believe prospective gunowners will shrug their shoulders and be grateful to
find some new ritual for buying guns, and so overlook the fact that the way this works introduces new bureaucratic
machinery that is abhorrent to us. We've fought licensing proposals before in Annapolis - computer databases and ID
cards to track citizens who are eligible to buy guns, instead of focusing police attention on those who break the law.
Now Maryland State Police are poised to simply take that which they never won legislatively, all using the excuse of
giving safety training. That's wrong, but so far the legislature casts a blind eye on the grab.

You can still send your request for the course to the Police Training Commission. Large numbers demonstrate the
breadth of our community's interest and concern, but the evidence mounts that they simply don't care. Therefore
now more than ever, your legislators need to hear from you. Ask them to confirm what's going on. Ask them if a
fundamentally new licensing scheme can take effect without ever appearing in either law or regulation. As them
why we need a General Assembly if police now make the laws. Our lawsuit is scheduled for a hearing in Rockville on
August 21. We will continue to report on what we learn.

The state gets in deeper. They've done a poor job keeping stories straight. In the 23 July deposition they gave a
nearly 3 inch thick stack of documents not previously made available. They thought they were making a case for how
much progress they were making, as if to say 'sure we're behind, but golly, look how hard we tried.' But in the
process all they did was expose how much they stonewalled our earlier attempts to find out what's going on. As a
result, we filed another lawsuit, seeking punitive damages for their blatant failure to comply with state law.

http://www.direct-action.org/

JBP

That's why I'm doing my buying now even though my DD-214 should exempt me from having to take another safety class (my club requires one for membership).

hammer4nc

dZ,

I've witnessed this same strategy used by environmental groups, to pass land-use laws in Oregon. They lobby for "shell legislation", containing little, if any substance, and amidst the most benign propaganda, for those who will be affected. The teeth of the law is contained in the "management plan" (analagous to the implementation regs mentioned in your article), which is only published AFTER the law is passed. When everyone finally realizes what they're in for, its too late!

An advocate once admitted to me "there's more than one way to skin a cat", as far as achieving their agenda is concerned. It's no accident, by the way, that the politicos can play both sides of the fence with this strategy, claiming "it wasn't what we intended", to one group, while satisfying the goals (in this case gun owner registration, harassment, costs increases) of the advocates.

The implementation regs are often harder to reverse than are the laws themselves...judges often presume mid-level bureaucrats, who draw up the regs, to be "experts" unaffected by political bias, and they are loathe to order changes.

rob_p90

I was under the impression that regulated arms were military styled weapons and what I've seen here and elsewhere bears that out, thank you. I wanted to verify this and I'm sorry that I didn't make that clear originally.

Here's a dangerous thought and I fear treading here, for the future of handgun sales would be in jepeorady. If the new regs take effect as they are, a de facto ban would reuslt (no official training => no card => no gun) and couldn't this mess be done away with at that point because it then infringes on the 2nd, preventing people from owning arms. I realize that a half-a$$ed program would probably be put into place to prevent such a thing, but it's still a nice thought. PLus, it could be argued that folks would have access to rifles and shotguns, just not handguns.

I'm going to have to ask the folks at my local range what their thoughts are on all these strange goings-on and what their plans are for dealing with the changes come January.

dZ

welcome to the Peoples Republic of Maryland

I'ts way past the time to get the non voting, non confrontational, never show up, they are not after my turkey gun, gunnies involved.

I doubt things are going to get better when our govenor is a Kennedy

Join The Maryland TRT

I for one am not going to silently watch an HCI video to qualify for a right.

The future of handgun sales has been compromised for over a year

check out the direct action link & read how the ballistic fingerprint sham has stopped most handgun sales

<thething>It's CLOBBERING TIME!</thething>

Libertarian

Ever since a sitting Vice President got jerked out of office to face corruption charges while serving as Gov. and learning that Agnew's actions were just business as usual in Annapolis, I have had less than no respect for MD.