Heads Up on BP revolver tool

denster

I came across this a few years ago while wondering around a Harbor Frieght and thought it might be useful for gunsmithing BP revolvers as something is always getting stuck. Most notably nipples.
It is a 1/4"drive impact driver and as such you can use the bits from your gunsmithing screwdriver kit but where it really shines is with a 3/16 nut driver bit that has been slotted to fit a nipple. I have yet to have it fail to remove the most stubborn nipple or screw. The trick is light tapping not heavy pounding. Right after I bought mine HF stopped carrying them and though I've done several searches in the last few years I could not find them. Until today and now it seems like everyone has them. Best price is on Amazon at a few cents less than $14. Check the sight for Performance tool W2503. Seriously get one it will save you more grief than you can imagine.

colima

I went looking for such a tool on Harbor Freight.
Could not find it.
Then I read your post more carefully and tried Amazon/Performance tool W2503
That worked. Is the right tool included - or do you need to make one?

Last edited:

denster

There are several bits included but they are most useful for general maintenance not gunsmithing. The tool will accept any 1/4" shank bit like those found in interchangeable bit gunsmithing screwdriver sets. For removing nipples you just need to get a 1/4" shank 3/16 nutdriver bit and slot it to fit over the nipple shoulder. This is something you should have a couple of in your kit anyway as they make a great nipple wrench when combined with your scredriver handle for taking out the nipples for routine cleaning.