Heading to the range - caliber questions

Mastrogiacomo

My father has expressed interest in firing magnum loads this time to the range since we're taking out the tank, the 686, but we've also got .38s again. I'd like to fire both (not at the same time of course) but I hear using one than the other can hurt the gun. Which should I fire first - the .38s or the .357? I'll be taking my new SP DAO too.

jacobtowne

The shorter .38 Special will leave hard deposits just behind the chamber throats. In a Smith with tight chambers, this can make chambering the longer .357 difficult. Some people say forcing it can compress the case mouth, increasing pressure.
I don't worry about this with my old Blackhawk, since the chambers are, well, generous.
JT

Mastrogiacomo

So shoot the magnums first? I got the value pack of jacketed hollow points for the .357 - which was $27 :eek: But you only live once.....

PI Rob

I don't know about hurting a 686 based on shooting the order, but .38's will dirty up your gun alot faster than .357's. I shoot 3-4 boxes of .38's then fire a cylinder or two of my defense load in .357. I just shoot in that order because 6-12 rounds of .357 at an indoor range is about all I can stand and .38's are just fun. Fun first..concussion last. :D

Mastrogiacomo

I might do that. I have 100 rounds of the jacketed hollow point in a 125 grain so may as well save the bulk of it for personal protection.