hd shotty

rocky.223

hd shotgun

Good day gentlemen,
Just a few questions from a newbie. I just bought my first gun recently, and the wife says it needs to be in a safe. But a "BIG" safe, one that a thief can't just walk out with. That means my little FNP 9mm will be oh soooo lonesome in that safe!!:rolleyes:;) So the wife agrees to let me put a shotty in there for company! An AR as well but that's another thread!

1. whats a reliable brand for under $500

2. To train with it I'll go to my local range. But it's indoors and only allows slugs. Can you shoot slugs and shot out the same barrel?

3. whats the best general HD gauge? 12, 410, 20? which is bigger and which is easier to find ammo for/cheapest?

4. Pump, semi-auto, lever?

Thanks for the patience gentlemen your opinions are most appreciated. I think I have good grasp on the basics but it never hurts to ask those that already know, and to never assume you already know all there is!

Last edited:

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Here is a basic primer I found with just "shotgun 101" as my google search words...
http://www.learnaboutguns.com/2010/01/14/guns-101-shotguns/

12 is larger than 20. 20 is larger than 28... those are measured as "gauge" but the .410 is a nominal measurement as caliber.

12 and 20 are cheaper to shoot than the rest. .410 is high dollar with little usefulness in HD.

I am a mossberg man as I prefer the safety location.

remington is right in there with mossberg for cost and utility.

Brent

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
For hd you want a smooth barrel and you can use any slugs but will find the best bang for the buck will be with "rifled" slugs. The "rifling" is actually there to seal the gasses while allowing for the slug to swage down to not be dangerous thru various choke constrictions.

The 12 gauge has the largest selection of ammo.

The 12 also allows for the 00 buck shot the majority of us use for HD.

You will need to find some outdoors locations to shoot the ammo you will use for HD so you know that point of aim and point of impact are properly in sync.

You will learn many terms and one important one is "pattern board" used to see how your gun and ammo are putting the shot payload down range at various distance.

And you will also hear things like BUY AMMO USE UP AND REPEAT!

Know your gun like your tongue knows your teeth.

And wear marks are beauty on a utility gun.

Brent
P.S. Terms like SHOTTY and TACTICAL are frowned upon by most serious guys that have put in their time to the point that the info they pass along can be considered reliable... and post count on a forum doesn't a pro make.

jmortimer

For around $500.00 you can get a basic Mossberg 930 with 18.5" barrel. That would work real good. Otherwise for pump Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 or 590 A1 or Browning BPS or Benelli Nova. You can't go wrong with any of these but the best deal is the plain jane 930.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
BTW, The 930 is an auto loader... Many folks shy from the auto loaders for HD use due to the whole Murphy's Law thing...

I am one of them...

Brent

jmortimer

Same deal as revolver and semi-auto pistol. You can bet your life on 930, FN SLP or Benelli M2/4. My price range is the 930.

I have a good ole Mossberg 500 loaded with #4 Buck and 00 Buck shot for my HD situations. I think I paid around $250 for the gun brand new just a few years ago.

SCBondsman

You better look for a pump just because of your $500 limit and if you want something new.

I have both auto and pump for work and home. I see a benefit to both but have y'all priced new Remington auto's. HOLY SMOKES! They've gone through the roof! :mad:

Jake Balam

remington 870 20" bbl security model

No frills, safety that doesn't break, and around 350 bucks

Spend the rest on ammo and get that shoulder broken in :)

Hoosier_Daddy

Home defense Shotgun?
Slugs are great if you live in a rural area. If you live in a village or larger, a slug can end up leaving your house through the walls and end up in a neighbors home, uninvited.
If you are not rural, please consider buckshot loads instead of slugs.

rocky.223

Thanks for all the responses!
Hogdogs, my apologies for any offense given. The missus had just given the green light on more guns so I was understandably excited!:) I try to keep my posts respectful in tone and terminology and will do so in future posts.
As for reading, well I have been doing TONS since I became interested in shooting and more links and info is most appreciated!