HD Shotgun: Standard or Pistol Grip

raisitup

I'm going to be purchasing a shotgun for HD purposes (probably a Mossberg M590). Any opinions on the tactical effectiveness of a pistol grip vs. a standard setup in an HD situation?

TIA!
Raisitup

zippy13

raisitup,
With the Mossberg's safety location, using a AR-style stock (or any thumb hole style stock) makes operating the safety awkward at best -- stay with a standard stock on a Mossy.

If you mean a pistol grip only (PGO) stock, then go for it -- if you're like most folks, after some serious trigger time, you'll change back to the conventional stock a wiser man.

If you really want an AR-style stock, then get a Remington with the safety in the trigger guard.

Standard grip will allow you to pull the shotgun further back with less contortion than a pistol grip. (Safety location's already been discussed and answered.)

For what it's worth, I have a 930SPX and decided on standard grip.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Standard stock allows far more variations in grip, stance and firing position...

It is more defendable as well... All traits point me to a traditional stock... I have extensively used PGO, PGStock and traditional...

Brent

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Standard works for most folks. Assuming by pistol grip you mean a stock with a separate one like the AR, AK, etc.

A shotgun lacking a stock with JUST a PG on it is more of a toy than a tool.

raisitup

10/4 Dave and Zippy, I was talking about pistol grip with stock, that much I did know. :)

Thanks all for the responses, no pistol grip for me!

Raisitup

gotigers

zippy13

With the Mossberg's safety location, using a AR-style stock (or any thumb hole style stock) makes operating the safety awkward at best -- stay with a standard stock on a Mossy.

This is true. I like a traditional stock on shotties, but particularly with Mossbergs.