HD: Codes?

Big Calhoun

So I came up with a list of 'codes' that my wife and I could use to communicate in the event of an emergency. The 'codes' are basically numbers with each one representing a different action. As an example, if I were to shout "1 1 1", my wife knows that means go to the bathroom, lock the door, dial 911, don't come out until I give the correct all clear.

Just wondering if anyone uses a similar method. No need for details, just wondering if I'm overly cautious or being smart.

DonR101395

Personal opinion, you're complicating things. Using plain language gets the point across and doesn't require either of you to remember what "blue 42" means under stress. Comm is always the first thing to go bad when the shtf so there no need to complicate it IMHO.

Samurai

Yeah. When I say, "Hey, Honey. Go unlock the cabinet, get your 1911, and come kill this guy," she knows what that means. She'll usually also bring my sword, too. But, we haven't quite worked out the code language for that...

;)

bennnn

Make one for her once in a while...
I agree with don, regular language works the best, Why do you need a code?
I believe that having a simple basic plan, and a little practice, will go alot farther then complicated codes.
If you shout "Get Down!" I'm not likely to jump up. In my house, the only codes are the way my dogs bark, wish they'd learn english so I don't have to learn "dog code"...

PaulBk

What code should I use to tell my wife "make me a sandwich"???

Not sure what the code would be at your house, but at mine it would result in a 911/EMT visit to put me back together again :D

-PB

atlctyslkr

My wife knows that in the event of a breakin my job is to man the 870 and secure the premesis. Her job is provide backup with her snubbie and cell phone.

Dwight55

BC, . . . with absolute positive assurances, . . . either you and your wife will have to practice, practice, practice and did I mention, . . . practice your codes until they become like three day old underwear (stinky and sticking to you like a second skin), . . . or you will forget them, . . . someone will do something the other didn't intend, . . . and all the best plans you made will fall apart.

Better idea, . . . either tell her what she is supposed to do, . . . or ask her what you are supposed to do. Either way, . . . you are both on the same page and you both understand what you are supposed to do.

When stuff hits the fan, . . . secret codes do to.

May God bless,
Dwight

Blackwater OPS

For that situation plain language is best, but a code word is a good idea. I have one and it is a word that would not normally be used but would not arouse suspicion, and it's used as a duress code and in the negative as an all clear.

azurefly

I favor what Blackwater OPS said. Unfortunately, I have a girlfriend who is a bit of a blissninny when it comes to preparedness for things like home invasions, etc. At least she is good about locking the doors before heading off to bed. The rest of our defense is something that rests with me. She abhors guns. :(

Otherwise, I would love to set up a group of simple codes that could be used covertly to give each other directions without anyone being the wiser. This kind of thing could be especially good over the telephone, if one were forced to lure out their partner, let's say, into an ambush. Some code to indicate, "I'm in trouble: call/don't call the police," etc.

I'm happy, for the moment, that she allowed me to teach her the international phonetic alphabet the other day. :D

-alpha zulu uniform romeo echo foxtrot lima yankee ;)

Speaking in codes can be tough. Speaking in codes under stress can be tougher. Having a complicated coding system further increases the difficulty in properly encoding the message on the sender end and properly decoding the message on the receiver end...all made worse under the stress of the information being time critical and danger being involved.

Still, I liked the code of "BR549" which means, "Honey, sell the old car. We are bugging out!" :D

dfaugh

My sons and I have one...It's "BANG!" (may be repeated as needed. 1st signal brings the other 2 "locked, cocked and ready to rock... They would already be on low alert because of the dogs barking.