Haws Western Marshall/J.P. Sauer Co. 22

CajunBass

I spotted a nice looking 22 revolver at my LGS the other day. I THINK it was listed as a Haws Western Marshall/J.P. Sauer. I'm pretty sure it was a Haws/Sauer anyway. Finish was more flat black than blue, fake stag grips. Looked to a casual glance to have been in near new condition. It was fairly inexpensive. I was thinking it might make a good plinker.

I'll probably stop by and look at it again this evening, I was just hoping somebody might know something about them quickly.

I KNOW it's not a Ruger. I'm sort of a sucker for Oddballs.

aarondhgraham

Is it like this one?,,,

This is one I bought about a year ago,,,

attachment.php

It is the same frame size as my J. P. Sauer and Sohns .357 Magnum.

15-savannah.JPG

You know me and my sickn,,, eerrr passion,,,
For matching rimfire/centerfire guns.

It's not cheaply built at all,,,
It's mechanics seem to be the same as the .357,,,
They both have the same weight, heft, and overall feel.

The .357 is a great shooter,,,
One of my SASS buddies keeps trying to get me to sell it.

I bought mine from gunbroker sight unseen,,,
It's an okay shooter but nothing to rant and rave about,,,
This could just be my particular gun because it has been shot a lot.

I do think mine has just been worn out,,,
It was absolutely cruddy when I received it,,,
The poor girl was probably rode hard and put up wet.

Check the firing pin on yours,,,
I have noticed that the dent in my cartridges is shallow.

It's no Ruger single-six or Colt Frontier Scout,,,
But I can hit a water bottle with it at 15 yards or so.

Am I damning it with faint praise?

Possibly,,,
But she looks good encased with her .357 big sister.

I've seen several of them on gunbroker,,,
They seem to go from $100 to $175 dollars,,,
If I recall correctly I paid $145 + shipping for mine.

The bottom line is,,,
Mine is probably just worn out,,,
If I saw a nice new looking one for cheap,,,
I would probably adopt another homeless waif. ;)

Aarond

Attachments

• 130725-HawesCowboy22Revolver.jpg
    130725-HawesCowboy22Revolver.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 519
Last edited:

RJay

From The late 1960's until 1980 Hawes imported a number of single actions, all listed as some type of deputy or marshal. The German Guns were made by J.P Sauer and Son. At the time because the German mark was undervalued they could uncut Ruger and Colt in price ( That is no longer true ). For the .22 line of revolvers there was two frame sizes, small frame and large frame ( same frame as the large calibers, just a smaller hole in the barrel ). Good, well made firearms, the only problem is parts, Not being made for over 30 years parts are drying up.

CajunBass

I went ahead and picked it up. Looks just like yours Aaron. It's been fired from the rings around the front of the cylinder, but doesn't have a scratch on the ..."finish?" With the plastic stag grips it sort of reminds me of a "Fanner 50" I had as a kid.

I told my wife I need it for watching "Gunsmoke." Never know when Matt and Festus will need some help. :D

She rolled her eyes :rolleyes:...can you believe it? :confused:

aarondhgraham

She rolled her eyes?,,,

Oh man,,,
You are one fortunate dude.

Eye rolling means she is resigned to the fact her man is a boy at heart,,,
Women who know this and still don't konk him with a frying pan,,,
They are rare and far between and should be cherished.

Let us know how yours shoots,,,
Don't let any bad guy shoot Festus in the hangy-down part of his ear.

Aarond

aarondhgraham

Much prettier than mine,,,

Much prettier than mine,,,
I believe they were nicely made guns,,,
The one that I bought was simply shot to death.

Nice catch my friend,,,
The gun and the lady.

Aarond

Gus90

I had a Hawes single action in 357 mag for a while. It was a really good gun and very accurate. My only complaint and the reason i got rid of it was that the grip seemed to small for my hands, my hands are large and the trigger gaurd had the bad habit of eating the hide off my middle finger while firing... and i traded it towards a nice S&W ;) but overall it was a good gun, enjoy yours its looks like a beauty

dogngun

I have had 4 over the last 10 years or so...

They are NOT a Ruger, but they are very strong well made SA revolvers approaching a Ruger in stength. I have not seen much in the way of problems with them provided the owner did not shoot crazy high level hand loads.

The one I have now is a .44 Magnum - I have had 3 other .44's and a .357 Magnum before this one and foolishly sold them all, thinking I could always find another...Took me several years to find this one, and I'm keeping it.

First class revolvers, imported from Germany, made by Sauer, now part of SIG...quality stuff! Very few parts left - what remains is at Numrich - but some Ruger parts can be made to fit, should you ever need any. I doubt there are any grips remaining that would fit. Centerfire calibers seem to be selling around $300 these days, if you find one for sale. Most people keep them, being smarter than I once was...

Every one I have had has been an excellent shooter, very smooth and very cheap considering...Should I ever see another I will probably buy it without a second thought.Here's my .44...

Aarond - replace the base pin with a new Belt Mountain pin and the groups will tighten right up...that's usually the thing that wears most after 50 years of shooting these things.

Last edited: