Hawkens Model Hastings 50 cal Rifle

Pahoo

Well, recently purchased a used "Hawkens Model Hastings 50 cal Rifle". Have to admit that I have never seen one before and can find little information. I know that it's a sacrilege to list it as a Hawken but that is what is stamped on the barrel. Looked it over plenty long and have to say that it is closer to a real Hawken than the Lyman Great Plaines. I have held two genuine Hawkens, Ithaca plaines rifle, Browning Mountain rifle and of course the Lyman. But, never this one. Would one of you gentlemen kindly enlighten me on this fine SideLock !!! ......

Be Safe !!!

bedbugbilly

Pahoo - I've never seen/heard of a Hastings and I've been shooting BP for 50 + years. You learn something new every day! :)

Sounds like a nice rifle you ended up with. Any chance you could post some photos of it? Any indication in the markings as to where Hastings was located?

I had the opportunity to handle one original Hawken many many years ago that was in a gentleman's private collection. Trust me . . . NOTHING feels like an original! But then, very few builders, even though the work is high quality, can match the feel of a good, used original.

An example would be all of the reproduction Civil War muskets. I have owned both original rifled muskets and reproductions as well. Once you have shot both, a blind folded individual can be handed one or the other and be able to tell the difference.

Sounds like your rifle is a nice one - congrats on your find and I'm sure it will be a god shooter! have fun and enjoy!

Wyosmith

Those were the ones Cebelas was selling a few years ago. I have never seen one "in the flesh" but I am told they were well done.

Pahoo

She's a brute !!!

Pahoo - I've never seen/heard of a Hastings and I've been shooting BP for 50 + years. You learn something new every day!
Well, that makes two of us or maybe more. Look at the top three postures on the link below and you will get a better idea of what they look like. I think they were made down south, USA. Have not had time to pull the barrel and see what's stamped there. It weighs right at 9-Lbs. :rolleyes:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?...en+rifle&qpvt=hastings+hawken+rifle&FORM=IGRE

Be Safe !!!