Having an issue trying to break down my RIA 1911

Toms_2003_Stang

I know that you have to depress the barrel bushing and then turn the bushing link clockwise, but the bushing does not extend outside of its channel so it can be depressed.

Im not stupid so this seemingly "little" problem has me frustrated, can yall help?

Hansam

Don't depress the bushing. Depress the "button" beneath the bushing. Its the cap that houses the recoil spring. Then turn the bushing clockwise to 9 o'clock to release the spring. After you've removed the spring turn the bushing counter clockwise till its at the 3 o'clock position to remove it.

flintshooter

It sometimes helps to push the slide back a bit too. Especially if the barrel has a bit of flare at the end. Takes some practice but, gets easier.

Hansam

Glad it worked for you! Now go spend the $8 (including shipping) and get that bushing wrench... you'll love it.

Hawg

I just use the floor plate of a mag to depress it. I have a bushing wrench with two sizes and neither one fit.

Therealkoop

If it actually has a tightly fitted bushing, you can put the grip against your thigh, push the slide back, pull the pin, and take the whole slide assembly off before removing the bushing.

I know my Dan Wesson is 100% imposible for me to remove without a wrench unless I do it this way.

mrvco

Just be careful putting it back together... I n00b-scratched the frame on my Colt 1911 trying to reinsert the slide-stop lever pin. That scratch still irks me.

g.willikers

mrvco,
Sooner or later they probably all get one.
Take them apart and clean them enough times and it's inevitable.
And it only takes once.
You have plenty of company.
That's what those touch up bluing pens are for.