• XD 45

Votes: 17 29.8%
  • Walther P99

Votes: 15 26.3%
  • Other (please state)

Votes: 15 26.3%

• Total voters

knight0334

Hello everyone. I'm having a tough time deciding on a new carry piece. Typically I carry what most would consider "outdated": 1911's and SA revolvers. As of lately, the weight of such iron has been starting to cause additional back pains on top of what I already have.

So I'm looking into some modern lite-weight Tupperware. From a few trips to the local gunshops, I've created a strong liking for the Walther P99, Glock 21, and XD45. ....Leaning towards the Walther and XD.

I do prefer 45acp over any other cartridge in the auto type pistols, with 9mm as second choice(only due to capacity and cheap ammo). 40S&W, 45gap and 357sig aren't options to me.

I also have another reason for a new pistol and that's to help teach a newly converted friend how to shoot. She was a long time anti-gun person until recent events in her life, and is also in her final stages of schooling to become a crime scene investigator w/LEO credentials. I transfered my Bersa Thunder 380 to her to get her started and so she could have some sort of home defense. But I also need to teach her how to handle and use a duty sized firearm.

Any suggestions with Pros/Cons and pics of stock/custom pieces are very much appreciated.

The Body Bagger

Choose the one that fits you best. You have listed two .45acps and one that comes in 9mm or .40S&W. Have you also considered a S&W M&P or Beretta PX?

hdawson228

I just bought (last week) the XD9 "service" model. With a full load of 16 rnds it is no heavier than my SA1911 with 7 rnds of .45. Actually, maybe less. I'm very satisfied. Similar grip angle and oh so much cheaper to shoot. So far, out of 100 rnds, only one flyer outside of center mass. Long trigger pull but light and crisp. I paid $469 plus tax. :cool:

knight0334

I did consider the S&W, but local price is about $150-200 more than the three in contention. I can get either of the ones I listed for $400-550. Budget is playing a part in my decision. Trying to keep as low as I can so I can pickup spare mags, holsters, mag carriers, ammo(if I go 9mm), etc too.

With the Beretta, I just cant get past the looks of it for some reason. ..that and I'm shooting for a nonexternal hammer this time. I know Beretta makes some very fine firearms, but that PX* is hard to look at(reminds me of those Hi-Points). Although, I'm probably gonna pickup one of their smaller other pieces as a BUG to replace the Bersa I gave away.

Officer's Match

Out of those choices, I'd probably pick the Glock, though I'd wait 'till the new SF model is available. Either I'd end up preferring its grip, or at the least it may push the "older" models price down a bit.

I would also strongly consider the M&P in 45 which is forthcoming, as well as the 24/7 in 45, which I find to have the best overall feel (to me) in a tupperfortyfive.

HappyGunner

Choices

Been carrying my Glock23 .40sw great handgun but wanted a .45acp my 3" Kimber 1911 is good but I have some questions about it feeding some Ammo. So I bought an S.A.XD-45 Service 4" really a good shooter feeds everything but a little large. Still wanting a .45acp for carry I looked at the HKUSP Compact .45 and really think it's a quality choice. Small enough great shooter and it's been proven to be a hand gun you can always depend on. I really like mine nothing wrong with my G23 or XD-45 but something about the HK is just really good to go.;)

Sturmgewehre

If you're looking for small and very light weight .45 ACP, you might want to check out the Kahr 45's.

http://www.kahr.com/newvr_pm4543.html

The 4543 is much smaller and lighter than even a Glock. I have a CW9 that is amazing. If you're having trouble with back pain, you won't want to miss checking out the Kahr line of pistols.

robone

if it were me and a new carry piece i'd sans the plastic ploymer degradation and go for a reliable standby. either a 1911a1 clone or the venerable browning high power. ain't nothing like the real thing baby! remember everything else thses days is made AFTER these two browning designs!
the plastic/polymer configurations are just that....get something that says style and class. maybe even a top notch s&w stainless is mighty fine too!

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
XD .45 ACP

And NEVER look back, as the people of Croatia did their homework before
bringing this baby to the market~! A few examples- steel sights and guide
rod, ambi magazine release, stainless steel "drop free" magazines, loaded
chamber indicator on top of the weapon, cocking indicator at the rear of
the weapon, grip safety, 1911 grip angle, plus the G.E.A.R. (which is a
$70 value)~! What is there not too like 'bout the XD? :D

knight0334

Robone,

I already have a 1911 Govt, which after about 12hrs of work and 15 miles of right-of-way/utility line walking - it gets to be very noticeable. I've never like the Browning HP, 9mm with only 8-9rds - might as well have another 1911 with 45cal and nearly same capacity.

Jason_G

If you are looking for good polymer framed pistols, I think you should also consider the PX4, the USP and USPc, and the S&W M&P.

Jason

Sturmgewehre

XD .45 ACP

And NEVER look back, as the people of Croatia did their homework before
bringing this baby to the market~! A few examples- steel sights and guide
rod, ambi magazine release, stainless steel "drop free" magazines, loaded
chamber indicator on top of the weapon, cocking indicator at the rear of
the weapon, grip safety, 1911 grip angle, plus the G.E.A.R. (which is a
$70 value)~! What is there not too like 'bout the XD?

When we got 4 XD-40's into the store I immediately grabbed one (the boxed set with 3 mags and a holster). I couldn't wait to shoot it.

During the first 50 rounds the gun failed to feed once. I wrote this off as a fluke. It happened again within 100 rounds. I was using Winchester white box ammo. It happened a 3rd time, again within 100 rounds. Since Winchester white box is my standard range ammo, I was a little disappointed.

I switched to Remington and the failures to feed continued.

Since I was the Range Master at this store/range, I saw a lot of XD's come and go. 3 other owners of the same batch of guns I purchased my XD-40's from had the same problems with their guns.

I never saw a problem with any of the XD 9mm's that came into our range and we had plenty of them. The problem only seemed to occur in the .40 pistols.

This turned me off of the XD series of pistols. If I do buy another XD, I'll go with a 9mm.

As for the new .45's, I fear that it may suffer from the same issues the .40's do (or did assuming it was something with our batch of guns that was hanky).

Willy T

Sturmwatever.
I generally expect such from CZ BLOCK contries. They have flooded our local gun stores but the quality lacks.

knight0334

I really wish I could get one of each. lol They all have some attractive feature.

If I go 9mm, capacity is desired. I'm kinda weird about small cartridges, gotta have as many as I can. I know there really isn't much actual energy difference between 9mm and 45acp, but I figure in "Bob's Bloodletting Factor" (see rules below). I'm definitely not trying to stir a caliber debate. ..Just trying to overcome my fear of lessor calibers, without giving in on my personal rule.

Bob's Bloodletting Factors:
1. Bigger bullet holes bleed more than smaller ones.
2. For lack of bigger holes, make lots more smaller holes.
3. Target pass-thru's add an additional hole. (one in, one out)

Mind you, this is all coming from a guy the carries (8+1) 45acp in a 1911 and (6) 45lc in a Ruger Vaquero and hunts groundhog with a 45-70.

From you all's suggestions, I probably should look at the S&W line again, as well as HK.

HK's are tough to find around these parts. I don't think I've ever seen one at the local shops(5-40 miles). I live in BFE Pennsylvania, but occasionally pass through Pittsburgh, Indiana, and State College.

Mark B

Glock model 30
Small, good capacity, durable, lightweight, accurate, Ability to change to an aftermarket 10mm.

allenomics

Don't rush your decision.

The G21 Short Frame should be out in the marketplace in less than two months. The Glock should last forever but, probably not be as valuable as Walther on the resale market.

Of the three, the G21 and the Walther or its S&W clone would be good values. What fits your hand best? Walther has a great ergonomic look and feel.