Have your tastes changed?

AndABeer

Started shooting handguns as soon as I could legally so I now have about 14 years under my belt. When I first started buying I would only purchase pistols that were stainless and had adjustable sights. Then I discovered Glocks but quickly gave up on them because I could not shoot them. Then I discovered Colt 1911s but gave up on them because of reliability and breakage. Then I decided that the only handguns I could shoot well and would always work were revolvers. Then I tried a Kimber and that proved I could shoot autos well if I had a really good trigger. Then I tried Glocks again and still hated them and bought a bunch more Kimbers. All this while I would occasionally flirt with a SIG or a S&W (which I eally hated) or some other TDA pistol but would not really see the point of a TDA trigger. So then I tried Glocks again and they started to take so I bought a bunch of them. Then I got some more Kimbers and some Springfields. Finally I decided I really liked the 10mm chambering so I looked for a pistol that would feed it reliably and ened up with my current fave in the S&W 10xx series. So am I finished looking or is this just the latest pit stop? :confused: Got me but it has been a fun ride albeit a bit on the pricey side. :D

How about you?

KSFreeman

Yes. When I was young (around 11 or 12) I resolved to own a huge collection, I did it. However, as I grow older, I realized ownership was feckless without knowledge. As I went to skul and gained knowledge (but not much wisdom yet), I realized owning a museum did me no good.

I have started to focus my efforts to particular weapons I like and give away everything else. This way I can direct money toward only certain calibers and it frees up money for education (software trumps hardware).

Nothing wrong with wanting "one of everything." Buy want you want and get it out of your system--some never do!:D

Hkmp5sd

Yep.

Started out buying the slick semi-auto pistols and black plastic rifles that were all the rage in TV and movies. Once I got an actual job that paid a salary (ie discharged from the military), started into the NFA guns. Progressed (or would that be regressed?) into older single action revolvers, mostly Ruger 3-screws. Got my C&R and fell head-over-heels in love with all of the classic military rifles, which are still the majority of the new additions to my collection.

I like and give away everything else.

BTW, if you're looking to give guns away, I'd be more than happy to pay for shipping them to me.:D

Kermit

Originally, I was going after the "more the merrier" ideal gun collection. I wanted ALL OF THEM. Then I realized I didn't like this caliber or that, the grip on this manufacturer's guns, the triggers on another and have, as a result, trimmed my collection down to a few guns that I really enjoy on a regular basis.

KSFreeman

Hk, you can run a search on the guns for sale forum and see if I put any there or you can pm me for any you are looking for. I'll give you a price and you pay the freight (novel concept, paying for stuff).

Blue Duck357

Oh yeah:eek:

Some consider it time and money wasted as I usually end up selling for substantially less than I bought for (buying used helps though). I consider it a valuable part of the game not a waste

Not having shops that rents is a pain in that if I want to try it I pretty much got to buy it. But thats given me a chance to get familiar with nearly every operating system there is in a way that renting a gun for an hour never could. Yes I've even gone back and forth a few times (owned many Glocks and 2 different 1991A1's).

It's enjoying the journey, not getting to the destination
:cool:

Laz

What a great and pertinent thread! I have only been seriously into buying and shooting firearms for about 10 years and can echo everything said here. My tastes have evolved and continue to evolve and, yes, I have spent a good deal of money buying and then trading various types and brands of firearms. Sometimes I think I overdid it but usually I realize I knew in the beginning that doing so would be part of the overhead involved in finding my niche. I have semi-auto pistols (for their caliber mostly, even polymer) but mostly have gravitated to single and double-action revolvers, lever-guns, and, of course, shotguns for hunting, sport and all uses for which a shotgun excels. My action-type and caliber choices are all getting leaner. It's good to know I'm following a normal progression. :D

deputy tom

Other than a few examples that I keep of different types and actions I bounce all around in My quest for another firearm.I've been told that I change guns like some people change underwear.LOL.I've owned hundreds of firearms in My lifetime. I really do wish I had all of the money I've lost in transactions over the past 35 years.No exaggeration but I'm sure it would buy Me another house or at least a very high end luxury car.tom.

kahrma

I wan to here more about what conculsions people have come to after many years of buying and trying different guns out. Has anyone ever found the "perfect" gun for them?

I have been buying and selling guns for the past 15 years an an attempt to find out just what I really like. Here are some of my findings.

Shotguns:
I like 12ga only. It is the best all around cal and it is the cheapest with the most loads availiable. I like pumps the best. I can shoot them as fast as a semi and better than a double. I like light wieght and a short bbl (18-24" is fine). The best shotgun I have found was my Ithaca 37 feather light.

Rifles:
I have learned that I am not as interested in rifles as I once was, probably because I don't hunt anymore. But I do like heavy target rifles, 8-10lbs seems to suit me. Also I hate pistol grips on a rifle! A rifle should feel natural and come to the shoulder fast and neat.

Handguns:
I like both revolvers and semi-autos. I like my handguns to be smaller than average (they seem to fit me better). In revolvers I like 2-3" S&W J-frames in .38 the best. In semi-auto, I like 9mm because I can shoot them faster and better than either .40 or .45. Also there are alot of loads availiable for the 9mm and they are on of the cheapest centerfires you can buy. I can actually get used to a gun in 9mm because I can afford to shoot it enough. The guns I shoot the best have been the Kahr K9, Ruger P95, Beretta 92fs, and Sig 220 (O.K. one .45 cal).

I have learned that what looks like the ultimate pistol on paper or in a magazine sometimes doesn't work for everyone. A Glock 30 shold be the ultimate due to its light weight, small size, 10+1 capacity of .45 and all that but it dosen't fit my hand for nothing! I would actually feel more confident with a three inch bbl .38 than a Glock 30! And I thought the .38 was obsoleate!

629 shooter

Have been shooting handguns for over 15 years now and basically my handgun likes and dislikes have remained the same. I started with a S&W revolver and have owned several. I would still say the S&W revolver is my favorite type of centerfire handgun.

Never cared much for most semi-auto centerfire pistols when I started and there are few today that I would care to own. There are a few exceptions - I have owned a few Sigs. Custom 1911s such as a Clark or Les Baer are the semi-autos centerfires I find most appealing.

I do enjoy accurate rimfire semi-autos and have competed in 22 bullseye with a Ruger MKII and a S&W 41.

Never got into the high capacity 9 mm craze. Never had any desire to own a Glock - especially after firing one - or any other plastic gun. Owning and shooting an accurate handgun is probably what I enjoy the most and most of the semi-auto centerfires I have fired just don't cut it.

I also enjoy the TC Contenders because of their rifle like accuracy. I doubt my handgun preferences will change any time soon.

spleenandideal

My personal handgun tastes have moved into two distinct and bipolar directions.

I have been bitten by the SiG bug and plan on owning them all. I've never been enamoured with one particular brand before, but within the past couple of years it's gone outta hand. To the point where I'm trading too many good guns for SiGs. SiGs are just soo genteel and so perfect.

Otherwise I have a fascination with cheap ex-commie handguns; Started simply because they are so cheap, but like anything else, I need them all. Have most of the Maks, some Hungarian and Czech guns, Toks. Now adding a Romanian .32 to the arsenal.

Besides these I have many other handguns, but besides my CCW Kahr, I don't give them the attention that they used to get.

old_yout

When I first started I was quite insistent about only shooting revolvers. I was, and still am, charmed by the design and the quiet satisfaction of saying that I carry a revolver. Then I met 1911 and there was nothing I could do to stop myself. I needed one. I got one. I carried one. I got another one and carried that, too. Then I felt bad and bought a 625 and carried that for a while but then contrived a reason to return to the ol' full-size 1911.
Maybe my taste will change again, but I could see myself sticking with the design for some time to come.

Well no ..... and yes!
No, because I still am infatuated with Colt 1911's and still buy more than I need.
Yes, because since getting into cowboy action shooting, I've had to stock up on those cowboy type guns. If I weren't involved in it, I doubt I would have hardly anything but Colt 1911's.

MikeJ

Really interesting question. My original goal, I started about 20 years ago, was to acquire a fine example of a handgun in these major calibers: .22, .380, 9mm. .38, .357, .44 mag and .45. Over the years I added the .32 and .40S&W to the list. I also wanted a gun that represented each of the different modes of operation; SA, DA/SA, DAO etc. I have accomplished this goal and realize that there are some guns that will simply remain in storage for the most part and others that I really like for either recreational shooting or defensive purposes. In some cases I have several examples in the same caliber like 9mm; a Beretta Centurion DAO, Browning Hi-Power (my first centerfire gun), S&W 5906 DA/SA etc. I've come to the point that now that I have reached that goal I may start thinning my collection to those that I really enjoy, but not any time soon, I still enjoy bringing them out every once in a while to simply admire and remind myself of the time I acquired it.

Pendragon

When I was young, I was fascinated by all the "hi-tech" pistols that "improved" on the handgun :rolleyes:

I wanted to buy several wundernines, but only poverty saved me from my ignorance.

For a while, my dream gun was an H&K VP70z - why? because when I was a kid, my friends played this pen and paper RPG about James Bond 007 and that gun was in the Q manual and had great specs - because you could add a shoulder holster (in europe maybe, if you work for MI6) and some models could do select fire and they held 18 rounds. When I finally saw one in person, it was over priced, had a horrific trigger and weighed a ton.

Now, I have swung the opposite way. I sold and traded away this year: Kareen (BHP clone), Colt Defender, Ruger Single Six, Remington 597HB

I got rid of those guns because I felt they did not align with what I wanted in a gun. I want proven designs with classic appeal in the "classic" calibers.

I now have a Valtro and 2 S&W .38s that I stole from a local gun store (well, I gave them $625 as I left giggling)

I do not need a .22 rifle and I did not enjoy shooting it. Ditto with the Ruger Single Six - the SA action is a PITA for 6 shots of .22. The Defender was a great gun that I could not use - especially after I got the Valtro and they Kareen had problems when I sold it (with full disclosure).

If I buy any more autos, they will be 1911s. I would like a couple more in the class of the Valtro - another Valtro would be great, but I think people who bicker over Baer vs Wilson are silly - the semi-customs are all pretty great.

Other than 1911s, I think all my other guns will be revolvers.

I want to get a good collection of .S&W snubbys going - an M65, some of the new scandium pieces, some classic airweights, etc - 2-3"

I want a 625 - maybe 2 and maybe a snub version :D

I need a BIG Revolver for hunting and because I just need one. .44Mag would probably be enough, but 454Casull is so tempting. Also - the BFRs in 45.70 or similar caliber...

I really like the T/C contenders, but they are not legal to sell new in CA and the used ones are scarce and spendy - probably get one when I move to TX in a year or so.

I really like lever action rifles. I am going to need several of these in .22 - .357 - .45-70 - yeah!

If I get a bolt, I will probably get a .308 and a .223 (iN cAsE i WnAt tO bEcOmE aN eVaL sNiPar!!!):rolleyes:

As for shotguns - I would like a nice "tactical" :rolleyes: 12ga pump with a sling - like the Wilson ones. An auto shotty would be fun too... And a gun or two to play the games...

After we get to TX, I will need some EBRs - the FALs seem pretty nifty - something in .308 and not .223 - if I need a social rifle, I want it in .308 for sure. If I stay stuck in gun hell CA, I will get a Garand

So - the lust for revolvers and lever actions and the relative lack of interest in Mall Ninja guns has been the biggest difference in the last 10 years...

Oh - one thing - I can see myself owning maybe 1 or 2 scopes - for a varmint rifle maybe - but nothing frosts me more than looking at a nice lever action and having the gun shop commando start telling me what scope I need with it. I have taken to giving them blank looks and saying stuff like "scopes are for losers who cant use iron sights" heh heh :)

New_comer

At present, I favor the hi-tech pistols.

Though my eyes are open for a good bargain that would fill a niche in my SD needs. Like something better than a USP as my CCW.

Lately I tend to gravitate towards the 1911's, maybe due to peer pressure at my shooting club. May buy one before the year's out.

I feel that I'm a bit stable when sticking to my choices, so mine should be an issue of filling a niche, rather than changing what's already there. ;)

Archie

More or less full circle.....

In the beginning was the 1911. (1965 or so.) Then I started shooting with some guys who cleaned my clock with double action revolvers. (1974)

I've owned a multitude of handguns since, including a Browning BDA in Super 38 and a TEC-9.

I still feel more comfortable with a Gov'mint Model/Commander or a Smith revolver than anything else. But I'm a dinosaur.

Blackhawk

It's a pit stop, but who knows where your next intense interest will lie?

I don't tend to acquire "several" of what I'm interested in. One or two examples will do while I really dig into them, sort of like exploring every part's design and materials while studying the action, etc.

My current favorites are DAO pistols, but SAs and DA/SAs have their places too. If it's something that's "gotta perform NOW", it's going to be a DAO pistol or revolver but I'm admittedly prejudiced toward the pistol for capacity and coolness.

My current favorite round is 9mm Luger for efficiency reasons: cheap, capable, ubiquitous, and with a nice touch of historical cachet. I was a .45 snob for a while, and never did cotton to the .38 because of the suicide revolvers issued to pilots during the Vietnam War.

My current favorite type handguns are compact, plastic pistols because it just amazes me that so much gun can be in something so small and light.

Despite all the above or maybe because of some of it, my next gun is going to be a mighty mouse Rohrbaugh 9mm aluminum/stainless pistol that's smaller than a Kel Tec P-32. Definitely something that's wooed me on paper only since I've never seen one....

ronin308

My story is somewhat similar to KSFreeman's: When I was about 10 I decided that a huge collection would be awesome. I started a fairly large one for my age, by the age of 16 I already had about 10 different guns. Then I came to college and starting shooting bullseye pistol...I realized I wasn't as good as others even though I had a lot of gear. TFLers caliban and ChrisII were completely kicking my butt in bullseye. So I started thinking about actually training hard. I started doing IDPA and I did alright. Then I met KSFreeman, who let me borrow some books and some videos...coupled also with some wisdom via TFL. Well since then, I've become a firm believer in hardcore firearms training. I never realized before that shooting is much more than gun ownership. Its a mode of existence. Thanks Caliban, ChrisII, and KS!

So now, my collection revolves around a core working battery. I try not to buy anything I don't really need. Admittedly, its tough when there are so many guns out there that "I've always wanted." Hopefully this will completely wear off soon.