Have you picked up / seen ...fired a Punt Gun?

TXAZ

I'm reading about punt guns which were apparently an 1860-1920's weapon used wo drop a a large number of birds at once. The barrel was up to 2" diameter.
Has anyone here ever held one? I understand most were mounted on small boats ("punts") but apparently there were some that were shoulder fired.

Blindstitch

I thought they used one on a show like Mythbusters but i'm not sure. Big guns, lots of shot and if you done your job right lots of whatever was in the way.

Virginian

Used to see them at East Coast waterfowl shows regularly. They were black powder guns. There is a group in England that still builds and shoots them - they are still legal there. One guy had a YouTube video about building one.

dahermit

Used by market hunters to shoot into waterfowl floating in large flocks (rafting), resting on the water. Many would be killed, many only wounded would escape. I have never seen one in person, but have seen many photos of them over the years.

aarondhgraham

There are a few at the J. M. Davis gun museum,,,

There are a few at the J. M. Davis gun museum.

Just a big clunky black powder shotgun,,,
Nothing elegant or pretty about them at all.

Aarond

T. O'Heir

"...an 1860-1920's weapon..." No market hunting in the 1920's. Banned in 1918.
A punt gun was basically a swivel cannon fired off the front of a row boat(a punt boat). Joe Salter is listing a flinter, 73" long, punt gun at $2395.

Pahoo

Boat mounted and thank goodness !!!

Has anyone here ever held one?
Have seen one and not likely that you or I want to hold it. Ones of my wife's relatives has on, in his garage as well as pictures of his relatives in a boat with this big bore. The boat has a cutout at the nose of the bow, where it was mounted. It was used in the back-waters of the Mississippi river. ..... :)

Now, don't forget the older large gauge SxS. ..... ;)

Be Safe !!!

JWT

Have seen several of them. All too big to shoulder. Not sure I'd want to 'ignite' one of them. The recoil and muzzle blast would have to be very strong.

Deja vu

I shot a black powder version that was pretty common inside forts in the old west. It was mounted on a swivel and stuck into the ground. I believe it was a 4 bore. The shells where very impressive.

It was very fun but too heavy to carry into the field... I Would guess it weighed close to 40-50 LBS.

FITASC

iu

iu

iu

Like these examples?