Have you ever had the lock malfunction on your S&W ? Poll

Has your personal S&W locked up due to a malfunction of the ILS ?

• Yes

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • No

Votes: 89 77.4%
  • Other

Votes: 17 14.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jimmy10mm

I've got two late model Smiths with the lock. I've been reading the thread on disabling the lock with interest. So far my 340PD and my 386PD haven't locked up with 357 ammo or +Ps.

Has anyone on the forum actually had the lock tie up their Smith when firing ? Not "heard" about it or read about it but actually happened to me ? I would rather not mess with it if it is working why fix it ? OTOH, if there is the real potential for the gun getting locked up I'll take the thing out. Thanks to any who reply.

Edit, I added 'other' anticipating that it would be needed. :)

Last edited:

pilpens

It did not happen to me but would seeing it happen count.
I have seen it once on a N or X frame S&W. This was a 1 to 1.5 years ago in Toledo, Ohio.
I have not seen any since but at the range I go to frequently, only few shoot revolvers and fewer shoot S&Ws with locks.

If the revolver is for self defense, I do not want the lock.
If the revolver is for just range/fun shooting, I would not worry about the lock.

I voted other because the revolver was not mine.

Kreyzhorse

I've put several hundred rounds down range in my S&W 637 including +P rounds and have not had an issue with the lock. I trust to gun and have no concerns that it will lock on its own.

I will admit that I've never engaged the lock by the way, don't want to tempt fate I guess..... :eek:

Ike666

I've got three post-lock guns: a 625, a 686, and a 60.

I've put about 1000 rounds through the 625 with nary a problem, loads varying from very light to very heavy.

The Model 60 had about 500 rounds through it - 95% factory ammo both .357 and .38. No problems.

I just got a 686 and have about 150 rounds through it, factory and reloads, no problems.

I don't even take the key out of the box and have never operated the lock on any of them. Don't plan to either.

On another thread there was mention of one weapon that seemed to be having the lion's share of the problems. How many different S&Ws have actually had the lock-up occur inadvertently?

velocette

I have no problem with the lock on my 637. That's because I removed it.
Not hard to do. Never take any risk that you don't need to.
Remember Murphey's law: If it can go wrong it will. If it can go wrong it will and at the worst possible time.
I removed Murphey from my revolver.

Roger

cole k

Quote: Kreyzhorse; Today 01:20 PM
"I've put several hundred rounds down range in my S&W 637 including +P rounds and have not had an issue with the lock. I trust to gun and have no concerns that it will lock on its own.

I will admit that I've never engaged the lock by the way, don't want to tempt fate I guess....."

I too have fired several hundred rounds in my M637 and my M60 with NO lock problems. I have NEVER engaged lock, nor do I intend to.

psyshack

I was at LGS today. They had a new 686 Plus 6" with wood stocks on it. $719.00 plus tax. I just could not get over the lock. And right by it was a Ruger GP100 6" for $200.00 cheaper. I dislike the transfer bar in the Ruger and the lock on the Smith. I left empty handed. :(

Why do lawyers have to screw crap up! :mad:

Jimmy10mm

I chose other because I dont own a Smith with a lock.
I knew it would be a good idea to put "other" in the poll. :) I appreciate your explaining your vote. I just wish those who have had a lock seize the gun up would give some details in addition to their vote. I'm about ready to watch the you tube video and go get the screwdriver. :confused:

orionengnr

I sold all my ILS S&Ws about three years ago after an acquaintance had his 360 "auto-lock" while dry-firing. At the time I had about six ILS S&Ws, including a 360 and two 340s.

I took it as as one of those moments..."learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself".

I have never felt the need to drive into a tree to prove that the airbag would work, either. :)

I divested myself of all ILS S&Ws.

About a year ago, I happened upon a 25-13 that the previous owner had "de-locked". The pistol arrived with a small plastic bag containing the offending parts.

I bought it and have been happy with it.

Oh, note that in post #9, someone has had his 25-13 "auto-lock". Glad mine no longer possesses that capability. Because I don't own a gun I don't carry.

Last edited:

bdb benzino

I have had 2, a 686+ and a 638. Both had the ILS taken out with in a short time. I had no problems with them but, only ran a couple hundred through them before pulling the ILS.
I like the new S&W's but not as much as the old ones, and agree that if you are using them for self defense that the lock should be pulled!;)

davem

Never had a problem but... I'm a big S & W fan. On one (Model19) I've probably put around 5,000 of the 38 special rounds through it and maybe 600+ full charge 357 magnums, including my top of the pressure chart reloads. Never had a problem.
BUT BIG QUESTION. All my S & W's are I suppose getting sort of old. I haven't bought a new one in years and on a lot of them the under lug goes all the way to the muzzle, not half way like on the older guns. How's the quality on the newer S & W's- still up to par- a good question for those that have owned both old and new S & W's.
Personally I like the looks of the older guns. I can't see why they ever changed. Those guns were perfection itself IMHO. :cool:

JackL

I chose "other" because I don't have one, don't trust 'em, and am not inclined to buy one. Right now, the poll at the top of the page is running just over 7% "yes" answers. If that's accurate, I don't like those odds.

Would I buy a Smith with a lock? Maybe, if it was a good deal, but not without doing some legal research into any potential consequences of disabling it. There are still a number of good pre-lock S&Ws out there.

Jbar4Ranch

In August of '03, I bought my first S&W .500, and had it lock up solid one day on round #4. I couldn't open the crane, pull the hammer back, or fire it double action. The little "SAFE" flag wasn't up, and the key did nothing. I emailed S&W, and handgun product manager Herb Belin personally called me the next morning. After explaining there was still a live round in the cylinder, he said he would send a rep from Denver to my door the next day to take possession of the revolver for repairs. We agreed on 4:00 o'clock, and sure enough, at exactly 4:00 pm the next afternoon, S&W rep Don Roden drove up my road, gave me a receipt, and took possession of my revolver. Eleven days later, a brand new X-frame arrived on my doorstep via FedEx. Herb called me and said that at the time, this was the first and only factory verified failure of the new lock system, and to the best of my knowledge, it still remains so.

(Herb, you still owe me one round of ammunition ;))

EdInk

I vote. "other" because the only ILS S&W I ever bought with one was for my mother and it was removed before she received or even fired it. Why risk it?

Webleymkv

I've had two ILS equipped revolvers, a 21-4 and a 629-6, and the lock has never given me a moment's trouble with either of them. Also, please realize that a poll like this, while interesting, cannot be considered scientific due to both the anonymous nature of internet forums and the internet echo chamber.