Have semi autos taken the place of revolvers as kit guns?

2damnold4this

The traditional kit gun is a light weight revolver chambered in .22 rimfire or one of the .32 cartridges. Are semi autos a better choice now? How about a different caliber? What would you choose for a kit gun?

Doyle

Not for me. For CCW, I carry a small auto. However, if I'm walking anywhere in the woods (the whole idea behind a kit gun) I'll have one of my revolvers strapped on.

aarondhgraham

I don't think anything has taken their place,,,

I think the whole concept of a kit-gun has gone out of style.

I was born in 1951 and as a kid,,,
It was a rare truck glove-box that didn't have a small revolver in it.

My Pop and all of my uncles had a small revolver somewhere in their tackle boxes.

This isn't just wispy thinking,,,
Almost every adult I knew had a gun handy somewhere.

When we would hit Turner Falls or any of the camping venues,,,
Mom always had her Colt Frontier Scout,,,
Pop always had his "Owl Head".

Nowadays, there really isn't an equivalent to the kit-gun,,,
In most cases it's illegal to have a loaded handgun in your car,,,
Unless you have gone through the hoops and obtained a CWP for yourself.

Even then people mostly keep it on their person,,,
I forgot I had a mouse-gun in a locked/cabled case in my truck,,,
I loaned the truck to my lady friend and she got stopped for speeding.

The cop thought she was antsy and asked for permission to search the truck,,,
It was only her femininity and charm that talked him out of charging her,,,
Even though he wasn't positive there was a gun in the box.

I'm afraid that the whole concept of kit guns has sorta gone the way of the dodo bird.

Aarond

BarryLee

My Grandfather always carried a Ruger Mark I or II as his fishing tackle box gun, so not sure kit guns have always been revolvers. I suspect, for those who still use them, kit gun selection comes down to personal preference and can go lots of different ways. The truth is now those who can legally carry usually carry all the time and generally prefer something besides .22 caliber.

Joe the Redneck

The Colt Woodsman was one of the most popular "kit guns" ever made.

Gun makers "push" the semi auto now because you can sell more "things" for them, just like a GI joe doll. With a revolver, you just add some ammo and that's it.

No big deal. Carry what works for you.

pinetree

My kit gun is a Walther P22 - so I say no. A Kit gun to me is does not have to be a revolver, but small light, 22lr, that is accurate and so easy to carry it is always around.

deputy tom

The Colt Woodsman was one of the most popular "kit guns" ever made.

True,they called it the "Woodsman" for a reason.Others will stick to the S&W J-frame .22 revolver as "The" kit-gun. I'm one for diversity and either will do.By the way the Ruger 22/45 MKIII makes for one dandy kit-gun/trail gun.And as a bonus you don't have to worry about using/damaging a collector's item.tom.:cool:

Willie Lowman

the whole concept of kit guns

Yep. I don't even know what that phrase means.

Are you old timers talking about tackle box guns? Camping guns?

In your posts it seems you are referring to car/truck guns. By definition a kit is a set of items for a specific purpose.

What is it that you wanted these long lost .22 revolvers for?

2damnold4this

Joe and Barry are correct to point out that semi autos have been kit guns for a long time.

To me a kit gun is a small, light handgun using light weight ammunition that is an accessory to other gear. It might be found in a tackle box, a backpack, on a hiker's hip or a variety of other places. It might be used for plinking, shooting a varmint or poisonous snake, getting camp meat or self protection in a pinch.

Aarond makes a good point that the kit gun might be dead. Most people that carry a gun today are toting a firearm dedicated to personal protection. Could it be that the concealed carry gun has taken the place of the kit gun?

Bailey Boat

In my world the Kit Gun is alive and well!! If I'm headed to the woods with a shotgun or a centerfire rifle then I have a 2" S&W 34 on my side. If I'm armed with a .22 rifle for squirrels then my "Kit Gun" becomes a 2.5" Mod 19. If I'm sticking to the pavement it's a either a S&W 342PD or a .45 Colt Defender (depends on the weather and clothing)

So I guess "Kit Gun" can be streched to mean many different things, something different for everyone. Mine is mostly a revolver but my Grandfather's Kit Gun was a Colt Woodsman with a short barrel, flattened grips and carried in his right rear pants pocket. And he was deadly with it but I never saw him use the sights, he looked at what he wanted to hit, clicked the safety and pulled the trigger, it was hit!!!

Kit Guns forever!!!

skidder

How could one substitute a small revolver for an auto in a tackle box.:confused: That would be like voting for Obama in 2012. :(

Here is my trail/kit/tackle gun: 9-shot sportsman 999

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 999InHolster.JPG
    999InHolster.JPG
    171.5 KB · Views: 406
  • 999OutHolster.JPG
    999OutHolster.JPG
    176.2 KB · Views: 415

Hook686

Different strokes for different folks. The concept 'Kit gun' to me means the gun that I automatically include with the rest of my kit when I head for the outback. For example when I go up into the Sierra Nevada Mountains fishing my 'Kit gun' is a Desert Eagle .44 magnum ... when hiking it is a S&W 329PD .357 magnum. If fishing, or hiking within an incorporated area it is a S&W J-Frame .357 magnum. It is simply a standard part of my personal kit that I assemble for an outing.

Win73

My "kit" gun is a S & W Model 317 Airlite .22 revolver. It is a double action eight shot revolver with a three inch barrel and adjustable sights. It only weighs 9.9 ounces. In a holster on my hip, I can't even tell it is there.

P4170022.jpg

L_Killkenny

Nothing has ever said kit guns had to be revolvers and as already stated semi's have been used in that fashion for decades. Heck, a kit gun doesn't even have to be a .22 for that matter. I'm sure many .32's and .38's have filled that role too.

I have an article saved someplace from a magazine that talked/compared different kit guns a decade or more ago. Among others on the list were the S&W (duh), the Ruger bearcat and the Phoenix Arms HP22. The whole concept has always allowed for semi's and both types of guns will fill the role as long as we have guns. IMO, the reason most associate kit guns with revolvers was the term was actually coined (by who I have no idea) for the S&W.

BTW, my kit gun is a Bersa .22.

LK

bamaranger

kit guns

Smith dubbed their .22 revolver the Kit Gun and the phrase has always been synonomous with revolvers to many folks.

I'm not sure how a Ruger Mk would compare to a S&W kit gun for size and weight, I bet the Ruger is bigger and heavier.

I stumbled up on a Ruger Bearcat a few years back, .........talk about light and portable.

The little Berretta 21 might be in the same league weight wise, and the longer bbl version (3"?) might even be as accurate.

But to many of us, kit gun means .22 revolver, likely a Smith.

jaughtman

My kit gun.....

I set out a couple years ago to buy a "kit gun" specifically for fishing trips and it came down to a Baretta tip-up or a Ruger Mk 1 - the Baretta of course was smaller and lighter, but after thinking, it was never going to actually sit in a tackle box anyway - either in a hip holster or my tackle "bag" so I went with the longer barrel for more accuracy. A revolver was never in the mix.

J

salvadore

Kit

A collection of clothing and other personal effects used for travel.

A container, such as a bag, valise, or knapsack, for storing or holding such a collection.

johnbt

"Pack up your troubles in your old kit bag
And smile, smile, smile"

- WWI marching song written by George Asaf & Felix Powell. Spike Jones did a WWII version. Small guns were also carried by travelers in their zippered shaving bags - shaving kits - for use at hotels and motor lodges. (When did the term motel come into common usage?)

John