Have part of a Forster case trimmer but not all.

horseman308

My dad got a ton of random reloading accessories from his friend's estate. I'm sorting through the odds and ends looking for enough to get started on a basic reloading set up, but I'm not sure what some of the odds and ends are.

There is a Forster case trimmer base, but no attachments beyond the trimmer crank and bit. Nothing to attach a case to. Can someone explain what parts I need to look for to trim .45/70 cases?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

condor bravo

I'll try. I will assume that your trimmer is the original Forster model. You apparently have the handle with the cutter shaft. You need a collett to hold the rim of the case and a pilot that slides into the neck. For the .45-70 the best I can come up with for the collett is CT2004, also indicated as a number 4. For the pilot the best I can come up with is a number 458 that is actually .453 in diameter. I would order by phone for verification. Note there is a difference between the original and the latest models. Midway should have the items.

And one other thing if not there is the handle that holds the collett in place. Try to find a photo of the trimmer for a better idea of what these things look like.

Last edited:

Mobuck

Contact the company, they were very helpful when I was attempting to rebuild an old priming tool.

F. Guffey

Thanks. Can't explain why I didn't just do that....

And I do not know why you did not do that, I do not know why someone did not furnish you a link. When it comes to getting all of the stuff together you are just getting started. The L.E. Wilson case trimmer uses case holders, for the most part I have two sets, one for sized and one for fired cases. The Forster uses collets, so does the old RCBS case trimmer, problem one collet does not fit both,

https://www.forsterproducts.com/product-category/reloading-case-prep/case-trimmer-replacement-parts/

There are 4 collets available, a wild guess would be they cost $11.00 each.

F. Guffey