Have NIB HK P9 - do I shoot it? Whats it worth?

GeorgeF

More and more I am amazed at what I inherited from my dad. I thought I had a HK P9s but it turns out to be a P9. After quick research I now discover that there were only 485 of these things made????

This one was mae in 1972 and has not been fired. I plan to take it out ot the range tomorrow with the CZ75 Bauska from a few weeks ago.

What would you do? Leave it in its box or take it to range and shoot it?

MDman

It might be worth more of you leave it in the box, but its going to be alot more fun firing away at the range.

My father has a rare 1970 SS mailbu 454 convertible all original, with 43k miles on it, they only ever made 23 cars like his. He drives it every chance he gets..

JohnKSa

Administrator
Find out what it's worth before you do anything with it... Otherwise your range trip could end up being the most expensive one of your life.

If it were me, I'd sell it, use the money to buy a P9s and use the difference to either buy something else or to buy a lot of ammunition for your new P9s. ;)

GeorgeF

Hmm, I retract part of that - it looks like it has had maybe two or three mags through it. Field stripping it (wow is that easy) showed it still has some residue inside.

I'll have to get pics up later - too late right now to fiddle with camera and lighting.

And its against my nature to sell any firearms :) Which I guess kinda makes the point moot about making it a safe queen. I always feel if there was some crazy universal ban on all guns, I would feel pretty stupid about all those I put aside and did not fire.

Thanks for tips though!

BUSTER51

put it back in the box and do not fire it .I belive you can sell it for around $3000.00 if it is truely nib. there is some H&K colector who will grab it .you may think that is a lot but who know's what it my be worth in 5 years . one thing is for sure there ain't many nib P9 pistols floating around now a days .:eek:

GeorgeF

Thanks much! I checked out Schwing's book on firearm values - some stuff is WAY undercosted. P9 in mint is allegedly $900.

BUSTER51

Please note a mint pistol is not a NIB original one owner pistol .just hang on to it and some one will have to have it and cost won't be a factor .:D how many NIB p9 pistols you figure are avalible world wide? :D If anyone has a p9 in mint condition I would be a buyer at $900.00. and I bet I could turn it for $1500.00 without breaking a sweat.

GeorgeF

Well I did take it out to the range - I didnt feel it would be an issue since while initial cleanng I noticed that it had been fired. So its not truly NIB - just barely fired :)

I put four mgazines through it - WOW. 15 yards and obliterated the 10 ring. Now is the P9S just as accurate? Or is the only difference between the two 'rarity' and the 'DA/SA vs SA'?

Quite an impressive pistol regardless!

rock185

I have a P9 from 1972, unfired in the box with manual, test target, extra mag, tool, etc. I have only seen two or three P9 ( not P9S ) for sale in the last 30+ years. I found mine quite a few years ago when a dealer was liquidating a nice collection of pistols they'd bought. I saw a similar P9, unfired with box, etc, sell on an auction site several months ago. If I remember correctly, the winning bid was about $1800. Over the years, I've seen two rferences to production numbers on these guns, one said 485 the other said approx. 500. I tend to believe these numbers might be in the ballpark. Neat, high quality pistols in any case.

BlkHawk73

As it was a family hand down, keep it. Fired or not, continual use will detract from it's value. The P9S models are easily found and affordable enough to buy one and shoot it instead. They are very accurate as you discovered. I love both my 9mm and my .45 ones.

GeorgeF

Damn - no disposable income to speak of right now - one more thing to add to the list :)

Rock185 - what kind of marking are on the right hand side? Mine looks to be imported by 'SACO'. Was wondering if there were different importers for this firearm - will have pictures up tonite.