Have I gone off the deep end?

lev83

I have had a growing intrest in the Colt Diamondback .22 revolver for about a year now. At a recent gun show I was approached about trading my S&W Model 41 (A-prefix Gun) for a 1967 6" Diamondback. I did not complete the deal because the guy did not have the original grips for the gun just a set of worn out Pachmyars. Nevertheless, I have been thinking about trading off the Model 41 for another Diamondback ever since. So what do you think...have I gone off the deep end?

SW40F

Well, ya gotta ask yerself the tough questions.

1. Do I want to keep and shoot the Model 41? A lot?
2. Would I rather have the Diamondback and never see the 41 again?
3. Dang, can I find enough spare change to buy the Diamonback and keep the 41? :D

Really, only you can answer these. ;)

DrLaw

Since you found this forum, the answer is...

Yes, you have gone off the deep end. Just like all the rest of us.

The answer to your other dilema is - save $$$ up and then you have both!

The Doc is glad to give you this free psychological advice and is out now. :cool:

Ozzieman

Well I’m not a doctor like DrLaw but let’s see what proof we have of your “over the deep end”
You have made 187 posts to a gun forum and you want to own one of the best 22 revolvers made and you’re having a hard time letting go of another good gun.
This would place you on the upper level of “Deep end”.
But let’s ask another question.
Which do you want more?
And, Why not have both?
If you go ahead and buy the diamondback then you might be over the deep end and all I can say to that is “Welcome to the club.” (Notice the almost 2000 posts).
I have a lot of friends that ask me for advice on guns, I also work part time in a large gun store and I tell every one the same. If your having that hard of a time letting go of a gun for another gun then save your money and own both.
If I had a dollar for every gun that I was sorry that I let go I could probably buy several people a very good dinner.
Once a gun, especially a good gun is gone, you will kick your self for a long time afterward.
The following are a few of mine.
Smith 27 5 inch.
HK P7, 91, 93 and an SLR8.
I could go on but there is no need. All of us “over the deep end” have guns that we should have never given up,
The answer is Don’t give them up.
Just add to your colection.

pistolet1

lev83

I have to go along with everyone else; if the Model 41 is as fine as I think it is (and you would know this best), and you would have a hard time trading it for something that is not just as fine, then you need to hold onto the Model 41 and buy the Diamondback. Then you will be happy; at least for a little while till you start looking for that NIB S&W K-22 you've always wanted. Then there's that High Standard Supermatic Citation Military, the Colt Woodsman Match Target, the S&W M18, etc.

HOGGHEAD

Trade???

No way. Every 41 I ever shot was a real shooter. I can remember when they could not give Diamondback's away. Contrary to what a lot of people think, a Diamondback is not a Python. It has some of the characteristics and cosmetics of the Python. But it is no Python.

I will admit that the Diamondback was a good piece, but that 41 is one of the best 22's ever made. Tom.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
The Model 41 is a sweet, sweet pistol, BUT...

Compared to good .22 Diamondbacks, Model 41's are a dime a dozen. You could snag another 41 any time you wanted; I have seen grown men nearly engage in a hair-pulling slap fight over a nice .22 Diamondback at a gun show.

Gunfighter123

I tend to agree with Tamara , that a Colt DB is more rare/exotic then the S&W 41 and IF is was me and HAD to pick just one -- Get the DiamondBack.

A used S&W 41 is easy to find if ya want another.

Now --- just do what most "deep enders" do , just keep both :D

laytonj1

I have to disagree. I see a lot of diamondback 22's at the gun shows here, 5 this weekend. Look at all the Diamondbacks available on Gunbroker. Although no longer made, they are not scarce, Colt made a zillion of them. Having owned both a 22 Diamondback and a model 41 all I can say is you need to own both. I would NOT get rid of one for the other.

Jim

Scattergun Bob

lev83

God I hate that, didn't that guy in the Bible King Solomon have a problem like this with a Colt Python, oh maybe it was a baby.

I have made a career out of Buying HIGH and selling low so I won't say a word.

Rigby1962

The 41 is a nice gun and so is the DB. Thing is the cost of the DB is just out of site and hard for me to justify. Don’t get me wrong I will and have dropped serious cash on a gun that I want. But I look at the price of the DBs and just shake my head. Although that seems to be the case with all Colts. I know there is no rationalizing cost vs want but the cost of DB does snap me out of my hypnotic trance. But since theres no money involved, I’ll take a shinny blue revolver any day over an auto.

PS I am somewhat amazed at how many mint in the box DBs there are. Like everyone who bought one never shot them

Tom2

It is the pretty pretty pony on there, you know. Pretty pretty prancing pony. Grown men love that pretty pony on a gun and pay extra big bucks for it. Not that the gun is not quality made or anything. But the pony is just magic when the price is made up. Maybe S&W should stamp a cute teddy bear on their guns to see if that raises the prices too. :p

B.N.Real

Is your model 41 a fun gun to shoot?

If yes,then you might be trading a gun you really care about for a gun that might have problems.

You already said that Diamondback had ragged grips on it and it may have also been roughly handled as well.

Rimfire revovlers can have some really bad problems especially if someone tried to 'learn' the trigger by dry firing them.

That model 41 is one of the finest 22 semi autos ever made period.

Remember that too.

You were'nt trading a beat up Mark II or BuckMark for it( which still probably would shoot great anyway).