Have I found a good value?

DRice.72

I was browsing through my local pawn shop and happened across a Winchester Model 70 30-06 with scope for $399.00. I did a brief search on Gun Broker and the prices are on average well above that mark for a rifle alone. The gun was used but clean, with a bright bore and smooth action. Considering I won't be able to shoot this gun first. What else can I check to see if this is worth the asking price, or should I just leave it alone.

gaseousclay

was it the push feed version or the one with the claw extractor? I can see the push feed M70's selling that low but the newer FN ones or the pre-64's will cost more

Slamfire

$400.00 with scope is a reasonable price. If it is a claw extractor version, the action is worth that alone. If it is a pre 64, run to the register and buy it before the store figures out its error.

A push feed M70 is a fine rifle. I have been squadded with many shooters firing target push feed M70's. They were a reliable and a slick action.

taylorce1

What kind of stock did it have? A lot of the old M70 Super Shadow's ran that much new with scope at Walmart before Winchester shut down a few years ago. Try talking the guy at the Pawn Shop down a little. If it came out of "pawn" I'm sure they have less than $399 in it.

p5200

I bought a Sear's and Roebuck model 53 30-06 which is actually, a Winchester mod. 70 with a cheaper stock for almost nothing that just needs a crown job as far as I know so far. But, I'm sure someone will question why you are asking and don't just go buy it and shoot it and find out for your self. at least I've, gotten (some) replies like that but, not all. :rolleyes:

DRice.72

I have a couple of reasons for asking. First I have never purchased a firearm of any kind in my life. What little I have were given to me by family members. Also money is very tight, this purchase would be a lay-away thing, as well as meaning I'd have to pick up extra work for Christmas. I was wanting to make sure I looked at all the things I need to look at before I took the plunge.

To answer a question above. The rifle has a black synthetic stock. It also has a longer barrel than any of the other rifles they had on display. I'm guessing 26-28"? I'm not positive on the length.

Buzzcook

Buy it. The longer barrel makes it worth the more.

Just make sure it is rust free and that the action works ok. Test the safety.

taylorce1

Sounds like it could be a Super Shadow since it is the black synthetic stock. More than likely a push feed as well, quality could be hit or miss as the last few years of Winchester at New Haven they had some quality issues. Doesn't mean it isn't a good rifle, just that there might be some problems that need fixed before it shoots to the fullest potential.

Another thing is that most of your .30-06 rifles at pawn shops have a lot of life left in them. It takes far more rounds to wear out a rifle than what the average joe puts down them in a lifetime. If you really want it, make them an offer 10-15% less than asking price, if they accept it or you buy it anyway. Take it home give it a good cleaning, pick up a couple boxes of different factory ammo and take it to the range.

If it doesn't shoot well check the scope and mounts first. If they are loose tighten them. Replace the scope if you have one (don't go buy one if you dont) that you know is good and see how it shoots. If still it doesn't shoot then take it to a reputable Gunsmith in your area and have him check it out. Talk it over with him what your capabilities are and your expectations and what you are willing to spend on the rifle. It might be as simple as a bedding job, trigger tune or a recrown to get your rifle up and shooting the way you want it.

hooligan1

Drice, I've been painstakingly working to keep pawn shops a secret!!!:rolleyes: Hey if you like it, then maybe get a hunting buddy or someone more familiar with rifles, to help you inspect it.;)

woodguru

I usually pass on rifles that don't have good scopes, pay attention to what the scope and rings are unless you are okay with budget components. If you aren't okay with the scope you are paying for something you'll replace.

Otherwise why ask, buy it and try it out.

If you are worried about the shape it's in look at the crown on the inside edges of the rifling. You can usually tell if a rifle has been cleaned backwards from the crown or not. A rifle like that is usually only shot sporadically to check sight in and hunting so a few boxes is typical.

Take the action out of the stock to look for rust or tinkering abuse, you can usually spot roughly handled screw slots.

If it looks clean and lightly used try it.

hooligan1

Wooddude, what's the scope got to do with a good buy on a good rifle? Never let the scope determine value OR worth when you are at a pawnshop. You know the old Bushnell Sportview on the old Mark V Weatherby trick!!:rolleyes:

Rifleman1776

Don't sweat the push feed thing. My Winchester Ranger (poor man's Mod. 70) in 30-06 has never failed me. With TLC and proper handloaded ammo it gives .69" groups. And that was with a $3.00 garage sale scope.
Go for it, sounds like a very good value.Enjoy.

DRice.72

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm going to have to let that one go. I just can't find room in the budget for a rifle with Christmas coming. I think after the first of the year when everyone is done hunting (deer season where I am ends Jan 1st) I may look around again.