Have decided on an M1A, now need to narrow it down

IZinterrogator

I've decided that my next rifle project will be an M1A. Unfortunately, I've carried an M16A2 or an M4 my whole career and have only handled an M1A one time, my friend's SOCOM. I'm looking for something to use as a long range shooter, something I'll probably be shooting off a bipod or a sandbag. I am trying to decide between the Scout model and the Standard. A couple of questions have arisen in my mind.

1. Can you mount a regular scope (not an EER) on the Scout with a regular M1A scope mount?

2. Is the Scout's muzzle stabilizer necessary or can it be replaced with a normal flash suppressor without loss of accuracy? (I'm thinking of replacing the Standard's flash suppressor/ Scout's muzzle stabilizer with a Vortex flash suppressor.)

3. Does the Scout lose anything in the accuracy department out to 600 yards when compared to the Standard?

4. Should I just go nuts and get the M21 model if the Standard turns out to be more in line with what I want than the Scout? If so, why?

Don't bother trying to sell me on the SOCOM, I didn't like it when I held it (too short) and I don't like what certain other members have said about its reliability thanks to the new gas system.

tINY

1) I don't see why not - but why?

2) Looks like it

3) Depends on the load - the 18" barrel will loose velocity to the 21" barrel. If the bullet goes transonic before 600 yards it will be a lot less accurate. You're probably fine with 168gr match loads... maybe.

4) If you don't want to use the irons, the M-25 is a better set-up

-tINY

wayne in boca

The Socom has the same gas system.Mine has been extremely reliable,zero malfunctions.And it is not too short either,it's just right.:)

Eghad

You said for "long range" use.... So I am assuming that a longer barrel would be in order. The SA Match or Super match would probably fit the bill. You can add a scope or a bipod to these.

Might want to take a peek at the Fulton Armory M14s also, they have an interesting tactical offering. You can also customize the M14s by adding items to the base rifle.

BCBR

M1a

None will serve you well as a long range shooter with out some up grades.
None will do well out past 300 yds or so will surplus ball ammo of just about any type,as far as accuracey goes.
Need some good match ammo for it,
Read up,there are several recent books
Also try http://m-14forum.com/upload/ for a ton of Specific info on this.
Very specific.
Good luck and good shooting

nbkky71

Optics are nice, but try shooting the M1A using iron sights. With a properly accurized rifle, quality ammo and some practice, you'll be hitting targets at 600yds before you know it.

I'd recommend sticking with the supermatch. I bought my M1A as a loaded-standard model a few years ago and had a gunsmith bring it up to NM specs. I ended up spending just as much as the cost of a supermatch.

Buy once, cry once.

IZinterrogator

Yeah, I'm kind of leaning towards the M21 because of the adjustable cheek rest. I can lower it and shoot with the irons or jack it up for scope use.

Wild, don't start charging my card number just yet. I have to go earn some money to pay for all this first. ;)

Quick question, can you see through the iron sights under the scope mount or do you have to take the scope off to use the irons?

tINY

Not to rain on your parade, but I think using the irons with the M21 stock will be near impossible. The lowest setting is quite a bit higher than the standard comb.

SA website doesn't say that it comes with a scope base, but the one in the picture is a 2nd generation that doesn't use the clip guide and sits kinda high and is designed to come off (leave the rings on).

The better bases like the ARMS use the clip guide and are meant to use with QD rings. There is a cannel in them that allows use of irons.

-tINY