Have a Lee Classic Turret?

Beentown71

If you do I would like to see some pics of how you have yours mounted. Also, what height you have it at. I have mine on a bench that I built which has a deck height of 37 inches and it feels a bit low.

Thanks.

Lost Sheep

Could you get a lower chair? An adjustable height office chair can often be found in thrift shops. If the adjustable height device is broken, most offices just toss the chairs, but you and easily set them permanently with a drill and couple of bolts.

My press is mounted on the end of a 2x6 with carriage bolts and wing nuts. When I want to load, I just clamp the 2x6 in a folding workbench.

My chair height is 19". My press height is 35". I am 72" tall and sleeve length is 35". Your dimensions may vary. Try different combinations until you find what is most comfortable for you.

Aside from adjusting the chair (or stool) height, you may think to change the angle of the press. On my single stage that I started loading on 30+ years ago, it often sat inclined backwards at a lower height. But the incline gave me easy access that would have been difficult at that height if it were perfectly vertical.

Good luck. Thanks for asking our advice.

Lost Sheep

edit: GTOne's post pointed out that handle length is important, too. My Classic Turret's handle goes from 45" from the floor (and straight vertical) to 19" off the floor (at approximately 120* angular travel).

Last edited:

GTOne

I have a 2x4 basics bench at about 37", I use a 30" wood stool from Target and sometimes I stand. I'm 6' 2"
The stock handle finishes way too low for me no matter what, unless I sit in a lower chair, then I can't see into the case to powder check(I need to).

Solution for me was an ergo handle from inline fabrication.

Note, the handle is about the same height and finishes about the same as the Dillon 650 roller handle.
IMG_0042.jpg

One of these days I'm going to take off a few inches on the handle, as I don't need it that long. The leverage is awesome, though.

trapper300RUM

Lee Classic Turret Press

I am telling you the classic turret is a excellent press i had one for several years Now iam going progressive because my wife shoots a ton of her 9mm's & i need a faster press to keep up with her shooting .Iam still buying LEE Thier Pro 1000

Tooltech

My bench is 48", I stand 5'8". My bench is higher than most, but I find that it works for me. The press handles are right at shoulder height, which allows for great leverage, with minimal fatigue. The height also makes it very easy to see into each case. I usually stand, but a standard barstool works great also.

abf60b87461517e5b02fa50b09cafea8_zpsb95ac6ec.jpg

22b813795e77a0f64349a8c8c1c7ba78_zps76a45205.jpg

leadchucker

The top of my bench is 30 inches off the floor. That standard Office Max chair works okay for me. I want to be above the press enough to have a good clear view down into the shell case to check the charge, when I place a bullet.

DSCN0379.jpg

Beentown71

Nice guys. I appreciate the pics. What mounting hardware did everyone use? I went with long bolts but contemplated lag screws.

Going to look for those brass holders that release a few at a time...have a name brand on them?

GTOne

It's a great idea. I don't have room for them or I'd use them. :)

My press is mounted with bolts and nuts. Lag screws would hold if you had a thick enough bench, but it seems like a shame to use such things to mount machinery like a loading press.

Beentown71

It's a great idea. I don't have room for them or I'd use them.

My press is mounted with bolts and nuts. Lag screws would hold if you had a thick enough bench, but it seems like a shame to use such things to mount machinery like a loading press.

Definitely a great idea. They looked like they were re-purposed but I didn't wanna assume.

My bench is 4 inches thick and why I contemplated lag screws. Waiting for it to warm up/dry out so I can spray it with the same paint I use on kitchen cabinets.

Thanks all.

One thing to note about using the Safety Prime system on the Classic Turret, in my experience, you'll have smoother operation with primers that are not nickel plated. CCI primers have a tendency to flip over easier in the chute. No big deal as I use CCI and Winchester primers interchangeably. ;)

max it

reloading bench height

hi ya,

40" high good for standing and sitting on an adjustable stool
and i can see in pretty good to check for powder.

leadchucker

The most secure mounting will be with bolts through the workbench top, with nuts and fender washers underneath. You can get by with lag bolts threaded into the workbench top if the top is thick enough, and is made out of a decent material that will hold threads well. Four inches ought to be plenty, unless it's cheap particle board.

5 STRING

This is an idea that I came up with a couple of months ago. I wanted to get back into reloading and I wanted to have a decent work bench, with a solid mounted press this time. The work surface is 60" long and 32" wide by 37" tall. My book case is 32" tall by 60" long. The bolts for the press itself are drilled and bolted with 1/4" grade 5 hex bolts, washers and nuts through 2 sheets of 3/4" plywood (glued and screwed), and 2x4's for support under the top, and at the front. I am 6'-2" so It allows me to either stand or sit, whatever my lower back and legs will allow me to.

I could park a log skidder on top of it ....if it would fit...LOL!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0480.JPG
    IMG_0480.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0479.JPG
    IMG_0479.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0477.JPG
    IMG_0477.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 58

dickttx

Look at the bottom photo in Leadchucker's post #7. I don't know if he is the one I stole the idea from, but pushing your handle 3 or 4 inches out of the bottom of the linkage, instead of flush really shortens the stroke of the handle. No material difference in the strength required to operate it.
I like to use a bolt the same diameter as the holes in the press base and drill a hole through the bench the same diameter. You may have to tap the bolts through with a hammer unless you can drill real vertical holes. Buy bolts that are just long enough to go through the top and have room for a large, thick washer, a lock washer, and a nut.