Have a .357 and .44 Magnum... what should be my next gun??

evenflow80

Totally serious here....

I have a 3" Ruger SP101 .357 and a Taurus Raging Bull .44 Magnum 6.5" barrel:

http://s789.photobucket.com/albums/yy173/karemsdsu/Guns/

Now I really need suggestions about what I Should buy next. I'd say my budget is around $800 max, maybe $900 if I do something REALLY nice and special for the gf. This could be any kind of metallic object that goes BOOM. It can be a rifle, a shotgun, a revolver, a semi-auto, ANY kind of gun. Recommend a brand, a configuration, caliber, specific model, all that.

Umm just no .500 magnum, not really interested in that....

Very serious here, will take suggestions very seriously as I'm not sure what to get next...

Havamal

45acp or 308

Para GI Expert 45ACP or save your cash for a Springfield M1A 7.62mmx51 rifle.

If your cash flow's real good then get an O/U 12 gauage... Skeet, Trap, and Sporting Clays are the most fun a shootist can have with gun powder.

The sensiable choices are to buy a 22LR revolver and a 22LR bolt-action carbine if you want to get really good with firearms.

rep1954

Ruger Single Six 4 5/8" barrel it comes with a 22lr cylinder and a 22 Mag cylinder. You could also look around for a Colt New Frontier 22. dont forget the Ruger Mark 3 semiauto also in 22lr.

SilentHitz

For $800 you could get a RIA tactical 1911, AND a .22 conversion kit for it...something to think about anyways. I love being able to shoot .45acp and .22 from the same platform.:D

shafter

Those who tell you to get a .22 are offering you great advice. Any of the Rugers are great. The good thing about getting a .22 is that they are usually inexpensive enough to allow you to get a second gun!
If it has to be another pistol than you just got to get a 1911. You'll probably never regret it. However if you would like to get a rifle how about a lever action in 357 or 44? It would go great with your revolvers.

An investment in reloading would be a great idea as well. Shooting will get a lot cheaper.

gwnorth

9mm is not a bad choice, IMO. The ammo is still quite inexpensive to practice with (I see ball 9mm in my area for as low as $12/50rnds) and JHP options are also good SD rounds, so you could do more with it then just plink.

I have two 9mm - SIG P226R (older Blackwater edition from 2008) and a CZ P-01. The CZ is much better suited to carry then the P226, but the P226 is just one of the finest shooting weapons I've ever used. The CZ is also a wonderful pistol and more compact then the P226. For $900, you could pick up a CZ P-01 (or PCR, very similar gun but without the rail mount), a couple of extra mags and a fair bit of ammo.

gak

+++1 on the .22LR ideas. All other choices mentioned--or that could be--are relatively redundant with what you have, especially in a 3 gun (for now) battery. I'd suggest a nice CZ bolt, or a gently used Ruger 10-22, the used part being that former metal parts are now replaced by cheaper plastic and not as nice wood. Other choices, nice used Remington Speedmaster (22 auto, tube fed rifle). You can get much cheaper autos new now, but probably not the quality or character. Either these rifles--or followed by--a Ruger Single Six .22 single-action revolver. Just because "everyone should have one."

Speaking of which, next: something like an M1 Carbine. Light, fast, handy, hi cap (depending on where you live), great HD--esp with modern SP ammo--easy for the gf, and fun plinking. Ammo no longer inherently cheap as its plentiful "war surplus" years are over, but like other cal's am noticing it show back up on shelves. For your upper price range, can find a very decent GI carbine (CMP or even otherwise, non-import Inland, etc.) with some patriotic history that you can pass on heirloom style down the road.

Speaking of "everyone should have one"--a Winchester 94 or Marlin .30-30 if you do any hunting (see comments later as well). Like everything else, there are better eras and worser eras, so do your homework here (in the rifle section) or elsewhere.

Next up, .357/.44 Mag lever carbines (Rossi or Marlin) to match your current revolvers.

Past that, a decent (Springfield etc) 1911 .45 as others have mentioned or decent modern/hi cap 9/40. But, as I said, for now these latter two or three are somewhat redundant, relatively speaking, with what you have right now, given IF you can only have three guns right now.

Depending on your hunting proclivities, next up could be a nice CZ, Rem, Ruger, Savage, Win (etc) bolt 7mm-08 for med-sized game (deer etc). Gentle enough for your gf to get used to but with enough "pow" for anything under elk in the lower 48. Classic, short-action round. Move up to 30-06 if you want to hunt the above but have more flexibility for the larger critters.

Last edited:

Hog Hunter

If its for the misses to cary id go with a duty style 9mm like a M&P or Glock in a compact, on the otherhand if just adding to the collection and want another wheelgun id go with a smith and wesson .41

Stevie-Ray

Those who tell you to get a .22 are offering you great advice. Any of the Rugers are great. The good thing about getting a .22 is that they are usually inexpensive enough to allow you to get a second gun!
If it has to be another pistol than you just got to get a 1911.
Couldn't have said it better.

Hook686

Go to the Civilian Markmanship Program (CMP) website and seek out a USGI .30 M1 Carbine. Easy shooting for the lady and a lot of fun. I think it sure beats a .22, and I doubt any more expensive.

I think for $800 one could probably end up with an USGI M1 Carbine and a Ruger Blackhawk SA revolver in .30 Carbine.