Have 260 rem and 270 win, what next (Alaska on my mind)?

Tawaliga

My whole life I have only hunted whitetail deer, but now I am dreaming of sheep hunts in the mountains (where there are grizzly bears). Maybe elk, moose, etc....but the grizz is in the back of my mind.

I would be with a guide 1x1, so not sure if they typically carry bear medicine or not?

Should I get something bigger or just save my pennies for the hunt and gear? Have seen many threads about 260/270 is enough for everything but grizz, "swedes use 6.5 for moose", "jack o'connor", etc.......but the grizz thing is enough to keep me thinking about larger bores.

What is your advice and if you recommend I get another caliber, specifically what caliber and why? FYI, not interested in .30-06...no offense to the round or anyone else, it's just a personal thing where that caliber reminds me of someone, and I'd rather not have one.

I have thought about .338 win mag and 300 WSM....but have also seen negative comments on those as well in reference to grizz/brown

5whiskey

Either .300 or .338 will do in a pinch for grizzly. Anything more than those calibers and it will be overkill for anything else in North America and will have a limited practical use... Unless you just want something bigger. If so that's your God given right.

35 whelen would also be a decent choice. It will not be as super flat shooting but it packs quite the punch.

If you're just looking only for S/D against a grizzly I think in 99.9% of cases a .270 round will shoo it off in a hurry. I wouldn't count on it to make a clean kill. I don't want a maimed animal wandering off, but that beats you being eaten. Many have also suggested that bear spray is at least as effective as a firearm. So... There are grizzly defense options that don't include buying a new firearm. But it would be a great excuse to get one if that's what you want:D

kraigwy

You been shooting the 260, and the 270, so chances are you know how to shoot those rifles.

Now you're going hunting in Alaska and thinking of getting a heavy mag. that you don't have much time behind?

Not smart in my opinion. I'd go with the 270 Win in a heart beat. I lived in Alaska for 22 years. There is nothing there you cant take with the 270 with proper bullets. I've seen a native on St Lawrence make a clean one shot kill on a polar bear with a 220 Swift, and I've seen a guy moof 5 shots out of a 375 H&H on a caribou which had to be put down by his hunting partner using a 308.

You said you have a guided 1 on 1 guided hunt. One of the main jobs of a guide is to keep you from being eatin.

But, if I was going on a guided hunt, ANYWHERE, and was seeking adive on what gun to take, I'd ask the guide who was taking me out.

MrBorland

If you've got time to get proficient with a bigger gun, maybe read up on the .375H&H.

I've got a .260Rem & 7mm-08 for deer. When thinking of something bigger, I'm thinking of skipping the .30 cals and going straight to a .375H&H (or .375 Ruger). Certainly powerful enough for Alaska, ammo is plentiful, and it's a very versatile round if you reload - to the point that many .375H&H fans would choose it as their primary hunting rifle, even in the lower 48.

Shot placement is everything, though, so a good shot with a .270 beats a lousy shot with a .375.

jmr40

Grizzly and brown bear are related, but inland grizzly aren't all that much bigger than black bear. The brown's only live along the SE coastal areas and you're looking at $20,000-$30,000 total for a brown bear hunt. The 270 you have is more than enough for inland grizzly and it doesn't sound like you plan to hunt the brown's.

In your case I'd just take the 270 and load it with heavier than standard bullets just in case of a bear encounter. Something like a 150 or 160 gr Partition. It's still shoot flat enough and be a better choice on a bear than the usual 130 gr bullets.

A 375 is versatile enough to be used for the other game, but is bigger than needed. If I were hunting other game in the same areas where the really big bear lived then I'd seriously consider it.

Tawaliga

Thanks for the replies

Trip has not been booked yet...will be in 2018 (when I turn 40)

I talked to 2 guides yesterday. Both said .270 or higher is fine for everything but brown bear, and that the guide will carry bear medicine.

I guess it comes down to do I want an excuse to buy another rifle or not.

Wyosmith

The 270 and the 375H&H are probably my 2 favorite calibers. I have a 375 that's on it's 2nd barrel and a 270 that is on it's 3rd barrel.

The advice KraigWy gave is excellent. You are likely to do best with the rifle You know the best and shoot the best. I would never talk you out of the 375, but you need to use one for fun and "rabbit shooting" for a while before you are totally comfortable with it.
Yes, a 375 is going to be better than a 270 at close range at a bear, but that is unlikely to happen. What is very likely to happen is to get the shot of your dreams at a sheep and that is going to be at 150 to 350 yards in a steep place. Footing may be unsure and shooting position may be less than perfect. ALL those factors will favor the 270 over the 375.

If I were you I'd probably buy a good 375H&H and start using it for fun, but for your first hunt in Alaska take your old 270. Use 150 or 160 grain Nosler Partitions and you'll do just fine.

I have killed and seen killed more elk than I can easily count in my life and one thing I can tell you is that seeing them shot with various calibers and bullets and from the 270s to the 300 mags, I can't see much difference in how fast they die.
Elk are not Grizzlies, but no one can tell you they are not big and tough. I have seen many many elk killed with various 300 mags and about 10 killed with 338 mags. I have seen about 30 killed with the 270 Winchester.

Overall, the difference in effectiveness between the 270 and the 300s and even the 338 was small enough for me to not be able to tell. I would go so far as to say there was no difference at all. All were very effective, but the extra power of the 300s and the 338s didn't seem to make any difference on the elk in comparison to the 270s, 30-06 and 7MM Mags. Good bullets make a lot more difference than the shape of the brass shell.

kraigwy

I guess it comes down to do I want an excuse to buy another rifle or not.

Now this is a different subject altogether. Any excuse to get another rifle is a good excuse and reason enough to get one.

I hate the term "NEED". Slaves are given what they NEED, freemen get what they want.

Dufus

Since I have a 375H&H, I would use that.

But, in your case, I would vote for the 35 Whelen. It is a lot more versatile than a lot give credit to. Coupled with the correct bullet, it can be amazing.

natman

It's not clear if you plan on hunting grizzly or not. If your intent is to sheep hunt but you're concerned about running into a grizzly, take your 270. It's perfect for sheep.

If you're planning on hunting grizzly, then I'd think about something heavier.

T. O'Heir

"...when I turn 40..." Exercising yet? There's a great deal of 'up' where Yogi lives.
"...I want an excuse..." You don't need an excuse. You're a big kid. Big kids only need reasons. "I want one." is a reason.
"...Grizzly and brown bear are related..." Yep. A Brown eats a lot more protein and gets a lot bigger. However, you really have to reason to worry about either. Yogi is not hiding behind every tree waiting to pounce in Alaska either.
Oh and an Alaskan non-resident Griz hunting licence runs about $750US.

Bear are a serious matter when on a charge. A big boar or a big sow more often than not its hard to change their minds once its set on> you. And their fast. Faster than most fellers think thru and on any terrain. Frankly: I'd sooner have a ton & 1/2 of terminal energy >bullet. Than a puny deer size bullet weight when tangling with any North American bear species.

Blindstitch

If your goal is self defense you're best off with a hand gun because there's no way you're going to carry two rifles or a rifle and a shotgun that can make that quick defense shot.

And even then if the bear is determined that he wants you a gun might not put it down till well after all the damage is done. Adrenaline does crazy things for people and animals.

On that note your 270 will do all you need. But if you have money to burn a 300 win mag with reach out and touch animals.

flyer898

I do not hunt much. I have a .375 H&H and love it. I have never killed anything with it and probably never will. But I like shooting it. Trajectory with a 270 grain bullet is about the same as a 30-06 with a 180. It just gets there with have again the umph. And it is fun! I agree with the previous comments to use it as your fun gun for a while before a serious hunt.