hastings wad lock barrel picked up today.

eastbank

i picked up a used 32" hastings wad lock barrel for a remington 1100 today for a very good price, its the first one i have ever seen,it has strait rifleing and is threaded and has a .640 choke in it. it it any good at shooting better patterns or just a passing fad in gadget history? i will try it in my 1100 to see what it will do. eastbank.

Virginian

Passing fad. Nothing wrong with them, just nothing special either in my opinion. That is a very tight choke. I would be surprised if it patterns larger shot well at all.

Bake

I too picked one up a few weeks back. It seamed to be tighter and a more uniform pattern. I noticed that the wad was not spinning as it came out of the barrel.

I'll be using it on my 870 Wingmaster to shoot trap. Its 34" long & if I can't hit them, I'll just poke at them...

fatbill

I myself have never used one, but I know some people who have purchased one and they claim it patterns significantly better and is more accurate. Test it out yourself and tell us the results! I'm curious if its another thumbs up

Virginian

Just curious, exactly what would cause a wad to start spinning in the first place coming out of a smooth barrel? :eek: As for seeing the wad spinning in the air, that's after the shot is long gone and the petals open up and catch air.

Bake

I really don't know what would cause the wad to spin. After the barrel is hammer, drilled, reamed, and honed, there shouldn't be any reason (tool marks) to cause spin. It might be the wad itself, mold marks, flat spots, and any number of possibilities.

I guess the only thing I can do is shoot more and keep filling out the "DOPE-BOOK", and see what is happening to my scores...