Hastings vs. Briley vs. Carlson's

dw

I was just wondering if there is a diffence in the quality of these different choke tube brands. I need them for a 12ga Beretta 391. Thanks for your time
dw

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Briley's a name brand, much more than Hastings. But the Hastings tubes I've owned have been concentric and on the mark.

PJR

Not having owned Carlson I can't comment about them but I do own Briley and Hastings and both are quality products.

The only caution I would offer if you are buying for a 391 is to test the aftermarket choke in the gun. Beretta manufacturing tolerances are not always consistent. My Brileys fit my 682 perfectly, were a little loose on a 390 I owned for a while but wouldn't fit into another Beretta over/under when I loaned a couple of chokes to a friend who'd forgotten his.

DOCSpanky

I have Carlson's, they are top notch without the top notch price.

Nice pieces, very nice patterns.

I think 15% of a Briley is buying name.

Bought some Hastings however that were garbage. Threads came all messed up. Poor quality control.

I think this will all be a subjective deal though. We all have love/hate stories for any product you can find. Its all a matter of putting you hands on them.

DOC

Chuck Graber

I have a set of Brileys that I really like. I have 4 12 ga. Berettas and all the chokes work well in all of the guns. They all mike out very consistently and work well at the pattern board.

I have not tried Hastings or Carlson but have been thinking about buying a Hastings extended black finish choke for steel shot.

Chuck Graber

Sundance

Slightly off the point, as you asked about choke tubes, I thought I might mention my experience with a different Hastings product. I have a Hastings 24" fully rifled slug barrel with cantilever scope mount on my Remington 11-87 Premier 12 gauge. It is topped off with a Leupold 2-7x32 shotgun special scope. I use it for those slug only deer hunts in Tennessee. I can put all my slugs through overlapping holes at 125 yards with this setup. I call it my 12 gauge sniper rifle. If this barrel is indicative of all Hastings products, I highly recommend them. I have but one beef on Hastings. "MADE IN FRANCE." :barf: