Has Ruger quit making the No. 1 in stainless ?

WIN1886

I have a Ruger No. 1 chambered for the 45-70 cartridge which is stainless and with laminated stock purchased a few years ago ! I recently happened to browse the Ruger website and there are no listing of any stainless versions of the No. 1 and they are limiting the cartridge choices to a few ! It looks like the popularity of the No. 1 is fading or what ?

44 AMP

Staff
Or what...

Ruger, like most companies, doesn't produce everything, all the time. Many variations are limited runs. OR "seasonal" runs, meaning the production is only done once in a while. Sometimes years go by between production runs of particular variants.

The website may even be listing guns they haven't built in years, if they have them already built and ready to ship, they'll be listed as available, whether they are actually building any at present, or not.

All the dropping of a particular variant off the site means is that they aren't listing it. Usually means not in current production. MAY mean they won't ever make any again, but when it comes to guns, I never say never....

Paul B.

Ruger has gone to making the #1's as limited editions only. A pox on Ruger. :mad: Only one or two models a year IIRC and at the end of that product year, no more. Might be a limited number of each model as well like 500 or maybe 1,000. I'm glad I already have the #1A in 7x57 as this year's run is probably sold out. :(
Paul B.

Slopemeno

That's sad- the #1 is a great rifle, and I'd love to pick one up...the Tropical version.

Oh well- there's always the used rack, right?

tahunua001

the number 1 is largely a limited edition rifle. they manufacture in batches. each year the introduce new chamberings and configurations while cutting others, this has always been the case. there is a 300 weatherby mag no 1 in my LGS right now and I have never seen one listed on their sight and I've been lurking there on and off for about 3 years now. at the last gun show there was a no 1 similar to what you describe in 7mm rem mag which I also have never seen listed. my brother has a ruger NO1 in 475 linebaugh which was only offered during 2012.

I'm hoping someday for a NO1 international in 6.5 swede or 45/70 but until 2014 all they have is 7mm mauser.

WIN1886

Limited runs...I seem to remember when you could count on some of the variations of the Ruger No. 1 to be more or less standard with at least a few different chamberings in each one . I guess I went to the Ruger website thinking I could still find a varmint version w stainless barrel chambered for the .223 Remington w 1:9 twist !