Has anyone upgraded Kahr triggers to Elite?

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
I'd like to find out if K-series Kahrs can be upgraded to shorter-stroke triggers. Would I have to send the frame in or the process is simple enough to only require replacement parts?

Coltdriver

I don't know if your Kahr can be upgraded.

However, I had both a P-9 and an MK 40.

The parts to do the upgrade are relatively inexpensive ~$20, they are the trigger, a spacer and a spring.

But getting the trigger pin out requires a pin press. You will not be able to hammer it out with a drift without dinging the gun.

emc

Coltdriver, from your post, were you trying to say that the factory may not upgrade the gun, but either a competent owner, or a gunsmith could do that?

denfoote

As far as I know, the Elite trigger is only available as a factory installed option that is already installed when you buy the gun.
Heck, why not e-mail Kahr and ask them!!
www.kahr.com

Coltdriver

EMC

What I meant was I don't know if the elite trigger is offered on other than the MK or P versions of the Kahr pistols.

If the Elite trigger is offered as a factory option for the K versions then you can buy the parts and install them yourself.

For the P-9 and MK-40 the trigger simply has a different cam profile, there is a slightly stronger trigger reset spring and the spacer is different from the non elite trigger.

But getting that trigger pin out has defeated everyone I have ever talked to that tried to pound it out with a hammer and a drift. And most of those that tried scratched the gun in the process of trying.

If you have a pin press or access to one then getting the trigger pin out is relatively easy and installing the parts is very simple.

Kahr should show the parts on their website if they are available for the K series.

mini14jac

I would love to do a side-by-side comparison of Kahr triggers.
I had a MK9 with the standard trigger.
It was one of the lightest, smoothest triggers of any gun I have owned.

I now have a PM9, which, according to Kahr, has the Elite trigger.
The trigger on this gun is not as light as the trigger on my MK9.
Or maybe it is just a longer pull.
Just a personal preference, but I liked the standard trigger better.
Go figure. :rolleyes:

Coltdriver

mini14jac

The key word is shorter stroke. The elite trigger has a slightly fatter cam lobe that requires less trigger pull to set and release the striker. But to move the striker a greater distance in a shorter stroke has to take more energy.

So you may well be correct that the non elite trigger takes less pull to shoot the gun than the elite trigger does.

Handy

I don't know why anyone would do anything to make a Kahr trigger easier to pull. Its stock trigger is too light as it is for a pocket gun.

MRN

Coltdriver is right. You can call Kahr and the nice folks will send you a new tigger and a couple other parts (bushing, spring ??). It's a bear to get the pin out on most guns, but a decent gunsmith won't charge much.

The elite trigger moves the trigger bar connnection father out from the trigger pivot point - just attaches a little farther out. That means it moves the trigger bar a greater distance for the same trigger pull distance.

In my experience, it doesn't make the trigger lighter. It makes the pull shorter. It feels a lot firmer, less mushy, and breaks quicker and sharper. That's all good. No reason not to do it.

M.

M1911

Oleg:

Yes, you can get K-series cars upgraded to the elite trigger. I had my K40 upgraded at the factory to the elite trigger. It wasn't cheap. IIRC it cost me well over $100. But it does reduce the travel of the trigger. I haven't had the chance to compare regular vs. elite, since both my other Kahrs are elites.

M1911

DPSproles

Elites RULE!

From my understanding, you CAN have them changed by a smith or by Kahr.

IT IS WORTH IT! I love th Elite trigger job. I have never FIRED the two side-by-side, but I have dry fired them and the Elite is one sweet set-up. Probably money well spent (IMHO!)

David