Has anyone made replacement barrels for the handy gun?

Willie Lowman

I was just thinking about those neat little .410 handy guns and wondered if any other barrels were ever made for them. Something like .45 colt or .44 special so it wouldnt be a nfa reulated gun.

Just daydreaming at work.

medalguy

If you're talking about a H&R Handi Gun, they DO already require registration as AOW. If you changed the barrel, it would still be a receiver that's registered. Even if you destroyed the original smoothbore barrel, and replaced it with a rifled barrel, the receiver would still require registration because it would be a simple process to replace the rifled barrel with another smoothbore barrel. What's the point?

Bill DeShivs

UNLESS a Handy Gun frame has a short shotgun barrel on the frame, registration as an AOW is not necessary. A registered one can be removed from NFA registration if the shotgun barrel is removed.

David Hineline

A receiver by it'self with no smooth barrel is not regulated at all. If it was registered in the NFA the BATFE should be notified that it is no longer in AOW configuration and to remove from the registry.

If it was never registered and the smooth bore barrel removed it is not regulated.

aarondhgraham

Hello Willie Lowman,,,

There is a modern alternative that just might suit your desire.

Rossi Matched Pair comes with two interchangeable barrels,,,
One is in .22 LR and the other is rifled and chambered for 45 Colt - .410 shot-shell.

It's not as pretty and the Handy Gun,,,
But it might be what you are looking for.

Aarond

Willie Lowman

Wow... Thanks Aarond. That's well, I think I'll look at the T/C catalog.

What Aarond pointed out is a prime example of what I am asking about. As David mentioned (and can be found on the ATF's website) a receiver sans smooth bore barrel is not a NFA item.