Has anyone ever...

James Montes

Built there own 1911 from scratch? Is it difficult? What type of tools does one need? Any good books or manuals out there worth getting for guidance/direction? Is it worth the time? I have numerous catalogs that have everything from 1911 frames on down; Would I benefit by trying to build one myself? What are the pros and cons?

[This message has been edited by James Montes (edited December 19, 1999).]

t-wheel

This is advertised in Gun Parts catalog--Quote--build your own 1911a1 we are offering you the opportunity to build your own 1911a1 automatic. The kit comes in two ways-with or without the frame.The kit consists of all parts needed.And all of the parts interchange with the military.All new.Final bluing is necessary. INSTRUCTIONS ARE INCLUDED.KIT WITH FRAME $325.00--WITHOUT FRAME $255.00 TELEPHONE (914)679-2417 OR WWW.GUNPARTSCORP.COM --HOPE THIS HELPS.

Jim V

CONS:
You may not save any money.
You may have to stake the grip screw
escutcheons and the slide stop/thumb
safety tube. More tools to buy.
You may have to do some minor tool work
it everything does not fit just right
(slide to frame.)

PROS:
You will know how a 1911 goes
together.
Your family will know where you are while
you are working on the pistol.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

Kframe

It's a heck of a lot easier to Red-Loctite the grip screw bushings, rather than stake them.
The Red-Loctite is that semi-permanent type.
The blue works too but sometimes if the screws get too tight the bushings will back out too.
I used the Red stuff when I put mine together and have had no problems.
-Kframe

Oh, yeah. You might want to post this down in The Smithy. If you ask the Moderator can transplant the whole thread down there for you. Just a thought. -K

[This message has been edited by Kframe (edited December 19, 1999).]

Mikey

James,

I've done it twice so far. Whether or not it's worth it depends on what you want to accomplish. It is not very difficult if you have good reference material and a coach (at least the first time). I can't help with the books since I was lucky enough to have a couple of smiths help me with guidance.

The actual tools needed are not extensive or very expensive - several good files for medium to fine cut, especially small triangular and half round type. A Dremel tool helps but is not absolutely necessary. You'll need some very fine sandpaper (auto body type) from 320 grit all the way to 800 or 1000. I even use 1500 grit for polishing parts. Some tools are real cheap - like popsicle sticks and chop-sticks. I use the first as a sanding block for the breech face or other small areas and the oriental type works great for sanding slide stop lugs or driving pins without marking them.

Is it worth the time? Depends on you. You MUST take the time to do it right. It can get tedious and sometimes frustrating. You have to go slow and learn when it's time to put it down. Like Jim V said, you WILL learn how EVERYTHING on a 1911 works and fits together. That's why I originally built my first one.

A tip - buy as many "drop-in" or "pre-fit" parts as you can. They don't actually drop in but the fitting required will be much less. The slide and frame are the most expensive parts and many suppliers offer them in fitted sets. This ain't a bad way to go on the first one - unfortunately, I wanted Caspian for my first and they don't do slide/frame fits but they will install the plunger tube and grip screw bushings. Another tip - get a piece of glass about 1/4" thick and at least 8" square to use as a work surface when sanding flat parts. Lay the sandpaper on the glass and work to part on the paper - keeps flat stuff flat.

Also like Jim V said, you really won't save much, if any, money. If you build a true custom piece with fitted everything and premium grade parts you'll spend close to $800 or $900 on parts alone!

If you like a challenge and you want a real custom gun AND you just have to how it all works - go for it. If you just want a real nice 1911 to shoot - spend the $1100 to $1500 it takes to buy a "custom package" gun from one of the major players like Wilson, Baer, Nowlin etc.

Mikey

Grayfox

I considered this once. I intended to build a custom .45 to my specific desires with the best of everything.
Parts alone would have cost $1600. You can buy a Wilson or Baer already built for that.
If you really want to tinker with a .45, buy an old clunker at a gunshow or something and use it as a base to build on. You can still have a very nice pistol at a much cheaper price.