Has anyone ever shot a S&W M-22 in 45ACP?

Lavan

Yes, I'm talking about the fancy case hardened frame, new one.

If you've shot one, did it hit close to point of aim?
I'm getting tired of looking for a M25 since none exist and I ...do.... want it to be a shooter.

I do NOT want the Miculek barrel lug. It's ugly and I just won't tolerate it.

On the other hand, I won't tolerate the M22 if it doesn't shoot well enough for GOOD plinking.

Thanks.

:)

Webleymkv

I believe that there are a couple of posters here that have the blued version of the M22. While the frame finish is different, I can't think of any reason that the blued M22 would shoot differently than the nickel or case-hardened one.

While I've not shot a M22, I did own and shoot the M21-4 which is essentially the same gun except chambered for .44 Special rather than .45 ACP/AR. Mine shot just fine although its sights were regulated for 200gr bullets rather than the standard 240-250gr weight for .44 Special. The trigger was every bit as good as any other S&W, old or new, I've ever shot or handled.

Nickgunphotos003.jpg

bossman

I love mine. It goes to the range everytime I go. It's as accurate as I am.;) It is a fixed sight but it does good for me. I'd recommend it to anyone. I usually shoot 10 to 25 yards.

5686890305_357683f421_z.jpg

spacecoast

I have one similar to bossman's except it has the Hogue rubber grips, which work well for me. The gun shot low and left when I received it, but I sent it back to S&W and they got it working well. The moon clips are great.

I might be interested in selling mine, I also have a 5" 625-3 and use it far more often. Send me a PM if you're interested and we can discuss.

Ozzieman

I don’t own a 22 but own a Thunder Ranch 21.
If you’re looking for great accuracy I think you’re asking for more than the gun can give. Mine is accurate but the sights on the gun are defiantly NOT user friendly. They are going to do more to take away from the guns accuracy than anything else other than the shooter.
I can hold 5 inch groups at 15 yards but with any of my 24’s I can half that all day long. The biggest thing with mine is what bullet I am shooting. Since all I shoot is my own reloads I shoot 44 SP from 180 to 240 GR so there is a large vertical change due to weight. The 240 Semi wad cutters at about 800 FPS seem to hit closest to point of aim. The attached photo is my 21 with Miculek grips which IMO are the best grips I have ever had on any of my N frame S&W’s
You said that 25’s don’t exist, I was going to say you’re wrong but you’re not.:mad:
I went to S&W’s web site and was surprised that the only classic 25 available right now is the 45 Colt.
Have you looked at the 325? I don’t care for the odd barrel or scandium alloy frame and they are pricey at suggested retail of 1289$

As for the Miculek barrel lug on the M25 JM? I don’t believe that the M22 or 21 or a standard 25 comes with the full length lug. And I totally agree with you on the ugggglyness of it. As far as the case hardened 22 the only one I can find does not have the full length lug. Seen below.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2909296
One other suggestion, since I had never heard of the case hardened 22 till you mentioned it, check and make sure its case hardened and not a chemical process that gets that color. The chemical process is easy to scratch on cheep guns since it’s only the surface that is colored.
My suggestion would be to go with the M 22 1917 with the 5 inch barrel, that's the one I have shot and was impressed with the feel and quality. I didn’t put that many rounds through it so I can’t really comment on the accuracy but I do think it was good enough at 15 yards for a great pinker.

Last edited:

Webleymkv

Originally posted by Ozzieman
Mine is accurate but the sights on the gun are defiantly NOT user friendly.

I've heard this complaint several times but I never noticed the sights on my M21 being more difficult to see than those of any other fixed-sight revolver. Perhaps the nickel frame provides a better contrast against the black front sight than a blued frame does.

Originally posted by Deaf Smith
If it didn't have that dang child lock I'd get one...

Otherwise find an older S&W .45 ACP.

Finding a pre-lock M21 or M22 will likely be both difficult and expensive.

Deaf Smith

So? I have pre-lock 3 inch 24, pre-lock 3 inch 625, pre-lock 629-1, pre-lock 686, 66, etc...

And I know where I can get a 4 inch 57, excellent shape, also pre-lock.

Hunting them down is half the fun to!

Deaf

Webleymkv

Quote:

So? I have pre-lock 3 inch 24, pre-lock 3 inch 625, pre-lock 629-1, pre-lock 686, 66, etc...

And I know where I can get a 4 inch 57, excellent shape, also pre-lock.

Hunting them down is half the fun to!

Your previous post gave the impression that gunshops are awash in pre-lock S&W's in any model you might want for reasonable prices. I was simply pointing out that, with certain models, this is not the case.

Seaman

Ahoy Lavan,

"Yes, I'm talking about the fancy case hardened frame, new one." [Lavan]

One of the finest revolvers ever made...bought it for its looks, (don't care for shiny ss or nickle, but do like blue or case colored). Based on the M1917, it has a shorter lugged 4" barrel, beautiful widened half moon front sight, and wider hammer. Was going to change the grips, but the M1905 style wood works just fine. Altho its an N-frame, it is lighter than a 3" M29.

Shot 1st round at a blank sheet of paper, and then 5 more at the 1st hole. Uses robust S&W moon-clips, very fast reloads. Factory 230 fmj. Result pictured below.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=74963&d=1319896938

Once I got the feel of it, all rounds now go thru the same hole. And since it is 45 ACP, the finest all-round fighting handgun caliber ever, it is a total winner.

"If it didn't have that dang child lock I'd get one..." [Deaf Smith]

Called S&W about the IL, they said if I removed it but later sent it in for service or custom work, they would re-install it. They said I could do whatever I wanted to do, it was my property.

Removed it from all my newer S&Ws. Made up of 5 small parts, 2 springs, 3 metal parts, takes about 15 minutes to remove on an N-frame, about 20 on a J-frame. Removed all 5 parts, lest a part left behind later fall out under recoil and jam up the internals.

Now I don't worry about the lock locking during CCW duty. Peace of mind.

Check your 6.

Last edited:

bossman

Webleymkv said:
Your previous post gave the impression that gunshops are awash in pre-lock S&W's in any model you might want for reasonable prices. I was simply pointing out that, with certain models, this is not the case.

I know what you're saying. I had an uncle that had an original M22 45 acp. I fell in love with that gun and always looked forward to shooting with him. When I got older and was finally able to afford one they weren't to be found. I searched for years with no luck. When S&W brought the M 22-4 back in the Classic line I was all over it.

You also may be onto something with the Nickel plated guns being easier to pick up the sights with. No problems for me with the fixed sights. The biggest thing now is trying to find the best grips for plinking work.

RickB

I got one of the early (2008?) Thunder Ranch M22s, and it shot good groups, but a foot low, and six inches right, at 25 yards. Are newer 22s still having problems?
S&W made a replacement front sight available, but my calculations determined it would bring the POI up only about six inches. Since the front sight is much too wide for the rear notch anyway, I just whittled the height and width of the former until POA matched POI. Depending on the chosen load, the distance, and the shooter, that can be required on any fixed-sight handgun.

Frasier

I have the Model 22 Classic with the 5.5 inch barrel and love it. It's very accurate in single action, however, the double action trigger pull is very heavy and will be taking it in for a trigger job.

DFrame

I have a nickel model 21 and my good friend and shooting buddy has the thunder ranch version. Both shoot great. A target gun it isn't. But what 4 inch fixed sight gun is? We have NO trouble at all ringing the steel out to 25 yards and the actions are very smooth. I refitted mine with a set of Kim Ahrens stocks like came standard on the TR version and never looked back. I love these things. The only (slight) complaint might be the shiny nickel can glare badly if you are shooting in direct sunlight.

gyvel

I have a 22-4 that I shoot mainly for fun. I haven't put it on paper, but it's more than adequate for cans and other similar targets. Haven't had any mechanical problems with it yet.

It's also an attention getter, as people think I am shooting an original 1917.

CajunBass

I've got a Model 21-4 "Thunder Ranch" in 44 Special that is a great shooter. I see no reason to think the 22 wouldn't be just as good.

I hated the grips that came on it, so I replaced them with a set of Hogues. Ugly maybe, but inexpensive, and they work just fine.

100_0385.jpg

Last edited:

Andy Griffith

I had a 4" 22-4 that was stolen from me a while back. It shot better than most 1911's.

I do have it slightly older brother in 5 1/2" in the Heritage series without the lock which is casehardened, and it shoots better than my ability to hold it with good handloads.

timothy75

Personally I think that guns selling points are classic stylings and nostalgia rather than performance. The OP's concerns are well founded since most fixed sighted short barreld guns do have poi issues expecially at longer ranges. I wouldnt expect that gun to do anything better than a colt saa could do. Its a very usefull tool like the colt but not one to pressed into service reseved for blackhawks, m24's and m25's. Again just my opinion but I have been dissapointed by fixed sighted sixguns more than once. Good luck

DFrame

Jolly Roger, I use a 200 grain Round nose Flat point bullet and medium charges of trail boss. Mine is dead on at 15 yards and only slightly different at 25. Even with full house loads it's never more than an inch or two different. Most certainly could handle any social work required of it.