Has anyone ever made a "pocket" 22mag semi auto?

TennJed

I like unique guns and I like small guns. I was wondering if anyone has ever made a 22 mag "pocket" gun? Something the size of the Beretta Bobcat (or smaller)? I don't want this to turn into a "answer to a question never asked " debate. I am not looking for a new CCW, I just like unusual and small guns

silvermane_1

not sure, but i did hear a rumor that some one had a custom Auto Mag 2 with 3" bbl., but i don't think that it would qualify as a pocket pistol.

natman

Unlikely. First, the 22 mag is fairly long, requiring a wider magazine and grip. Second, the 22 mag requires a heavy slide and lots of spring strength to control it. It's a challenge to make any semiauto pistol work in 22 mag, much less a tiny one.

kcub

Just snub revolvers I'm aware of. I used to have a 9 shot Hi Standard Sentinel back in the 70's. Ruger (ugly!) and maybe Taurus(crap) make one now.

Old Stony

Hi Standard made their two shot derringer with pocket use in mind. It had a long double action pull and was really flat. Some makers even made wallet holsters that had a cutout where it could be fired without removing it from the holster.......these are illegal to use most places anymore. The derringer came in either .22lr. or magnum.

PetahW

I had all 3 issue AMT .22 WRM Auto-Mag bbl lengths, and that 3-1/2" handled the best of the lot.

Old Stony

If my mind serves me right...which is not always the case anymore, I think those AMT's were very ammo sensitive, and I seem to remember them recommending Federal ammo only. I seem to remember a problem wherein they had to do strange things with the chambers to slow down the recoil of the spent round, to make up for the lack of recoil spring strength. Please correct me if I am wrong.
I think they had problems with the .30 carbine version also.

Skans

The Grendel P-30 was about the smallest, lightest weight semi-auto .22 magnum made. Keltec makes the PMR 30. Of course, neither of these are pocket guns by any stretch.

BubbaBlades said:
attachment.php

The smaller of these AMTs has a 3 1/2" barrel.
Thanks fer nuttin'. :p

I never knew there was a compact version of the Automag. Now I have to go find one. My wife and my wallet are going to hate you.

Attachments

• AMTAutomags_zps03c659a8.jpg
    AMTAutomags_zps03c659a8.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

natman

The smaller of these AMTs has a 3 1/2" barrel.

Note the unusually wide (front to back) grip to accommodate the long 22 mag cartridge. While the 3.5" barrel version is fairly small, it's still considerably larger than a Beretta Bobcat.

IIRC, AMT had to dimple the chambers to give the expanded case enough grip to delay extraction long enough for the bullet to exit the muzzle.