Has any one put an AR together with chosen components?

GCbroker

I've built two, a 16" and a 14.5". Both rifles perform flawlessly.

What have your build experiences been like?

Or are you an off the shelve AR owner?

Wayne

osbornk

Being clueless, I bought the first AR I ever touched off the shelf--YESTERDAY. I figured that never even seeing one, I would be better off buying my first one ready to go out of the box.

ed308

I bought my first AR back in the early 1990s. Classic A2 with 20" barrel. All parts, which included a PWA lower receiver, Colt barrel and etc. The only specialized tool I had was the barrel wrench. No internet or You Tube videos to guide you. Only a Marine Corp's M16 manual as a guide. Somehow I got it together. Sloppy build. Still have it. Haven't shoot it in years. Maybe when I retire I rebuild it and do it right this time.

BigBL87

I bought a complete upper and complete lower, and upgraded piece by piece from there. I don't have the luxury of owning more than one at the moment. If I ever get another AR, though, I'll probably assemble it.

MagnumWill

First one was off the shelf. Buffer tube was installed incorrectly, and the buffer spring retainer wound up inside the lower after some fits and starts.

I build my own now.

bedlamite

First one was a kit, every one since has been a frankengun. Here's my latest:

20160909_125053.jpg

Superior Arms lower, Jewell trigger, Aero M4E1 upper and Quantum handguard, MWDS 6mm Mongoose barrel, Odin Works gas block, Midwest Industries brake, and Viper HST scope on an Aero mount.

Here's the results at 567 yards with winds in the teens, gusts to 25:

20160910_131429.jpg

ETA: After checking notes, I pulled one shot of the 10, assuming it's the one on the upper right, the rest of the group is about 8" wide and 3" high.

Last edited:

FrankenMauser

I bought two "mostly complete" uppers when I got started.

All lowers, and every upper since the first two have been built from parts.
No kits.

As bedlamite put it: Frankenguns.

In one of them, a pistol, almost every single part is from a different manufacturer.

Edit:
Forgot to add:

The two purchased uppers both had issues. (Company doesn't matter -- they folded two years ago.)

One upper that I built had a bad barrel (bad headspace) from Black Hole Weaponry (now calling themselves Columbia River Arms), and, after BHW kept letting me down, ended up with me buying a chamber reamer and finish-chambering the last replacement barrel by hand.

One upper had a bad extractor, but the same problem could have occurred if I had bought a complete rifle or upper from the same company. It was just an assembly mistake (wrong extractor), and the company went above-and-beyond to make things right.

Everything else has been great -- including the absolute 'frankengun' pistol. That hodgepodge has never had so much as a hiccup, even though pistols are supposedly notorious for being unreliable and difficult to get running.
:confused::D

I mostly use blemished receivers. I don't care about cosmetic defects, and I've only had a few where I could even identify the defect(s) -- one of which was just white lettering for the T-marks on a receiver that wasn't supposed to get white lettering.

Otherwise, it's mostly reputable name brands for parts. -Not necessarily 'high end', just reputable and decent.

Last edited:

SDF880

2 lower builds on complete out of box uppers and no issues. The rest have been out of the box but so far I really have not run it any issues with my various manufacturers, PSA, Doublestar, DPMS, Anderson, SIG, and CMMG.

bedlamite - Excellent!!!

mdcmn7

My first AR was a frankengun

Got a "sale" set of stripped upper/lower receivers to start, then picked up the other pieces as my wallet allowed

With all the web forums and you tube videos the build was the simple part.

I found the huge selection of parts/options/styles to be a challenge.

To be honest, wasn't so much the selection as it was the mind numbing reviews and opinions on every nuance of everything that is AR related.

Does it really matter to the average newb if a particular brand of firing pin is going to handle 500k rounds of 5.56 under "combat conditions" in the arctic

Or if the checkering on the butt stock is going to properly shed sand during a rainstorm when your wearing IBA in a swamp

Nope, not really

But there are hours upon hours of threads that discuss it

Maybe I just need to lighten up a bit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mobuck

"Has any one put an AR together with chosen components?"

If that includes digging through the parts boxes for bits and pieces, then YES, I did that 2 weeks ago. Saw a great deal on a barrel config I didn't have and wanted to try so bought the barrel. Rest of the stuff for completing the upper except the front handguard retainer and dust cover pin came out of parts supply. The lower was also an "amalgamation" of take-off/leftover parts from previous projects.
I may even name it "Junk Yard Dog" once I get it running.

rickyrick

My spare parts box could almost be turned into a gun. Actually I think if I had a set of receivers I could probably piece one together. I bet I'd be short a roll pin or two, maybe a bolt carrier (I have bolts) and a gas tube.

DMK

All of my ARs were built from separate components. Not even kits, but parts I sourced from multiple vendors. So I guess they all fit the Frankengun description.

I have three carbines in 5.56/223, three rifles in 5.56/223, one AR pistol in 5.56/223, one carbine in 7.62x39, one rifle in 22LR and one carbine in 9mm (The only one I did buy as a complete upper from Rock River). Most of those have also been through various configurations and parts combinations.

Out of all of the ARs that I've built, I've never had any reliability issues except with the 9mm and the 7.62x39 guns. I mostly have the x39 gun working reliably now (getting good mags was the problem), but I'm still working out feed issues with the 9mm (it may be mags or it may be the PSA mag adapter).

I don't know why folks take issue with home built AR15s. They are really basic to assemble. Just get good quality parts and it's pretty hard to do it wrong.

Last edited:

DMK

The only specialized tool I had was the barrel wrench. No internet or You Tube videos to guide you. Only a Marine Corp's M16 manual as a guide.
The best resource. That is the AR15 service manual. It is my go to reference for torque specs, unless a part manufacturer has a unique requirement.

Last edited:

bedlamite

The only specialized tool I had was the barrel wrench. No internet or You Tube videos to guide you. Only a Marine Corp's M16 manual as a guide.
The best resource. That is the AR15 service manual. It is my go to reference for torque specs, unless a part manufacturer has a unique requirement.

That depends. if you want a mil-spec/duty rifle it's great. If you want a more accurate rifle, standard mil-spec can hinder accuracy. Is says nothing about facing the receiver, clocking the brake without distorting the muzzle, gas port tuning, etc.

turtlehead

The first rifle I ever owned I built. An AR15.

Spent about three months reading on AR15.com and researched and ordered each part separately. Had to buy the tools as well as I didn't know anyone who owned one.

About 3,000 flawless rounds through that rifle so far. Have built a few more since. :)

HALLAUSTIN

Bought 2, built a few. The one I have now was a shelf rifle and I've just swapped out a few parts. I finally feel I've got the perfect rifle (for me, the ranges I shoot, and my intended use). It took mone money than I'd like to admit to figure out what I liked on paper vs what I like while hunting, but I finally got there.

GCbroker

bedlamite, That is one sweet rifle.. I kinda know what that one cost you..
A LOT! Gorgeous.

I've built 2. Both have Ballistic Advantage Barrels and Aero Uppers.
I milled Cerro 80% Lowers I bought from Modulus Arms for both with their jig..
The 14.5" has a ALD single stage trigger, Hogue furniture, the other a 16" Rock River 2 Stage Varmint and Hogue Furniture bla bla bla..

Here's a pic.. changes and additions since this was taken.

oihmy1.jpg

GCbroker

rickyrick

Having the tools to build one is a dangerous game lol.

Wish I could stop now...

Funny!! I want to build a few more myself. A 308 would be nice. Not so sure about the creedmoor.