Harrington & Richardson Arms Co. Worcester Ma. ????

Rockrivr1

I just came into possesion of a H&R Sportsman Double Action 22LR CTG Serial #D26902. Does anyone know anything about this company and the revolvers they made. It has a 9 shot cylinder and a breakaway frame in which the ejector pushes out the spent cartridges as the barrel is pulled down.

I can't seem to find out much about it from the web but I do know the thing shoots like a dream. At 30 feet I put all 9 shots pretty much dead center. I have shot a S&W 22 LR for years without that kind of results.

If anyone knows about the company or has any information about this type of revolver, I would appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks,
Troy

C.R.Sam

The D prefix on the serial number should date that as 1943 manufacture.

Old line manufacturer of inexpensive but good guns. 1871 to 1986. A currant company uses the name H&R 1871 but it has no connection with the old company and does not warrenty the older guns.

Parts should be available from such as gunpartscorp.com and others.

Enjoy it.

Sam

Steven Mace

Troy, I believe the handgun you're describing is the Harrington & Richardson Model 999 Sportsman - Second Issue which was manufactured from 1950-1985. This was a top-break action 9-shot DA revolver chamber in .22 LR. The finish was blued with either a 4" or 6" vent. rib barrel, adj. sights and walnut grips. Today, a Harrington & Richardson Model 999 Sportsman in excellent condition might be worth about $155-$195.

Harrington & Richardson began operations in 1871 as Wesson & Harrington located in Worchester, MA. In 1875 the new company Harrington & Richardson was created and was incorporated as Harrington & Richardson Arms Company, Inc. in 1888. In 1973 the company moved to Gardner, MA operating under the same name until 1986 when manufacturing ceased. Then in 1991 a new company was formed, H & R 1871, LLC, starting production again in Gardner, MA. In 2000, Marlin purchased the entire assets of H & R 1871, LLC. Production of of H & R 1871 firearms continues today in Gardner, MA. Hope this helps!

Steve Mace

Steven Mace

Sam, the 'D' prefix would indicate a 1943 year of manufacture. But it is also my understanding that this would mean The H & R Sportsman revolver would be single action? Maybe I'm missing something. Troy, are you sure your Harrington & Richardson revolver is a double action?

Steve Mace

C.R.Sam

Good point Steve. I missed the double action bit.
I think we both been using Fjestad. Just looked in Gunparts (22) pg 216 and they say the 999 was introduced in 1936 and led the line for 50 years.

This is getting interestipating indeed.

Sam

Rockrivr1

Wow, Thanks for the great info on the company. The revolver is stamped Double Action on the left side of the barrel and right under H&R Sportsman logo. The Harrington & Richardson Arms Co. Worcester Ma information is stamped on the top of the 6" barrel.

The serial # is stamped on the inside part of the grip right below where the trigger guard meets the grip. When shooting the gun it will fire using both DA & SA. It has a release lever on the right hand side in front of the cylinder. When the gun is opened you can press the release lever and the cylinder can be removed for cleaning.

The cylinder itself has two Pat numbers lightly stamped on it. They are Pat 1904780 & Pat 2034632. They are put in place one over the other.

It came in what I would have to assume is the original packing box. It's very old wood with what looks to be blue velvet inside with the guns profile carved into the box.

It looks pretty old and I would have to say it's seen limited use over the years as when I came into possesion of it it still had some of the original packing grease in some of the more hard to clean areas.

I unfortunately came into possesion of the firearm when my uncle passed away recently. He used to be a B-29 tail gunner in WWII and spent a lot of time in the military. Some of the things he had between firarms, pictures and war souveniers were just unbeleivable. He actually had a picture from another B-29 of his plane as it was hit by flak and the tail section was ripped from the plane. Being the tail gunner, he was in that ripped away section. I can't even image what that must of felt like.

Thanks for looking into this for me. I really do appreciate it.

Troy

Drakejake

I also have an H&R Sportsman with a D (1943) serial number. It has a one-piece walnut grip with an incised diamond grid pattern. Six inch barrel. On the right side in front of the cylinder and just above where the gun breaks open, there is a lever which releases the cylinder for cleaning. The action scratches the cylinder as it turns. This is double/single action and the single action trigger is very short and sweet.. My lock-up is absolutely tight, no play or rattle. The bluing is very smooth and attractive.

Other models of the Sportsman have a tiny button to release the cylinder and an action that doesn't scratch the cylinder. I am very fond of the Sportsman. Using an HKS speedloader, it is lots of fun to shoot. Load all nine rounds at once, eject the empty cases instantly.

Drakejake

C.R.Sam

Steve......looks like we both found the same discrepency (or omission) in Fjestad. I'm usin 22, what are you using.

Two D prefix guns, both double action, both lever cylinder removal.

Nuther reason why I like to second source stuff.

Or just hang on TFL and get it lebenteen sourced.

DrakeJake.........thanks for adding to the info.

Sam

Steven Mace

Sam, I'm using the 23rd edition of the Blue Book as well as the 24th edition of the Gun Trader's Guide for information on the H&R Model 999 Sportsman. Both indicate the DA version of the Model 999 Sportsman didn't begin until 1950. They tell the same lie?

Steve Mace

Drakejake

I think you are reading the source wrong. The NEW version of the Sportsman 999 began in 1950, so they say. I believe double action Sportsmen were available from c. 1936. A separate single action version of this revolver was available until, I believe, c. 1950. The Sportsman 199 is single action. I don't think you can find a source that states that the Sportsman was available ONLY in single action before 1950. My 1943 Sportsman is marked Sportsman on the left side of the barrel, but there is no model number. I believe this was an early version of the 999, even if unmarked, because the very similar 199 is said to be strictly single action.

Drakejake

Drakejake

An addition to my prior message: See The Gun Digest Book of Modern Gun Values, 11th ed., p. 152. "Model 999, Revolver;double action.....Marketed as Sportsman Model. Introduced 1936; dropped 1985." The differences between the older and newer versions seem to include the presence of a vented barrel rib on the newer ones, while the older ones lack this feature. There are other differences as well.

Drakejake

C.R.Sam

Steve, not common but also not without precedent for two sources to present an error as fact. One way would be if the two pubs both got their information from a third (erronious) source.

Sam

Rockrivr1

Ok, now I'm confused. I appreciate the information on the company but I guess by reading the posts above, the revolver could be made anywhere from 1943 through 1950 or maybe even newer then that.

I guess it will just have to remain a mystery. Still like shooting it though. Wasn't sure if it was something that should see limited use because of it's age or history. Going by the threads though it sounds like this gun was fairly common.

Nothing wrong with having a common, great shooting older revolver.

Thank you for looking it up for me.

glholzer

H&R Sportsman

Hello all,

I have an H&R Sportsman DA .22 as well. It is D ser# prefix (1943).

In Walter Roper's 1945 "Pistol & Revolver Shooting" book he covers this topic.

In 1933 at his urging, H&R began making .22's revolvers in 1940 (A prefix).

The originals were SA and later from public demand the DA's.

Also the later Ultra Sportsman had a short cylinder & speed action with ltwt hammer w/short throw like the USRA's.

I also have three of the USRA SS target models made from 1928-41, ser# 336, 537 & 2999. The last is the best with the heaviest barrel like my Sportsman. I found it with box, target and cleaning rod!

I love these H&R's, hope I was some help.

Regards, Glenn

Crimper-D

Got 2 of the prewar 999's, serial# indicate both were made in 1938

Both have one piece handchecked walnut grips and both are DA's.
There is a 9-round speedloader avilable. Good sporting/target revolvers. :)

Pappy John

Could one of you gentlemen with the reference books give me a year of manufacture for my 'Sportsman'? It's number is 453XX with no prefix. Overall in very good condition with the exception of some honest holster wear in the blueing at the muzzle. A fine shooter.

fralanca

I have a similar gun with different serial number prefix

I have an H & R Double action 22 long rifle that is almost identical to the ones described by the other members, only mine has the serial number of N5172 stamped in the bottom of the handle. It has what appear to be plastic yellow grips. I am assuming it is newer than the ones that the other members have, but I have no real information on it.

Frank

DaveRust

H&R Sportsman .22 cal revolver

Hi, I'm new to the list, so I may be asking something that everyone knows but me. I have a .22 Cal H&R Sportsman revolver that my dad left me. The pivot screw has lost out. I tried Numerich Arms for a replacement and was not successful in find the part. Its the screw in the hinge just ahead and below of the chamber. I have tried several substitutes and can not find the proper thread. Do anyone know where I might get a replacement. Its a nice old pistol, however, it has one problem, the hammer may or may not stand cocked until the trigger is pulled. It has been known to go off on its own.
Thanks for any help
DaveRust

allen820

I have an old H&R Sportsman .22 DA with no prefix on the seriel # and no model number on the gun. My grandfather bought it used. He died in 1952, and was quite ill for a period prior to that. So without doubt, the gun was manufactured earlier than 1950.

And the gun is very accurate. It has loosened up a bit over the years, and spits lead and powder out the sides these days, but still groups tight at 20-25yards. Cool old gun.

Allen