Hardest hitting handgun you have shot?!?

SD_Chop

Just curious to know what the hardest hitting handgun you have shot. How much recoil, what did it feel like? Just a short run down of the details

WillBrayjr

Ruger SRH in 454casull. The recoil didn't hurt but it sure was stout. My teeth rattled and the SRH almost jumped right out of my hands.

Socrates

.45 Linebaugh Seville. 360 grain bullets for 1550 fps.

Loads went 38 inches in Cape Buffalo.

51 foot pounds of recoil.

On a regular basis, can shoot 325's at 1550. 43 foot pounds of recoil. Niether seems much different from the other.

Try and alternate with shooting 22lr, so I don't start pulling my shots. Find the 325's at 1350, or 260's at 1450 fps, much more sane.

At this kind of recoil level, 12-24 rounds is a days shooting for the big gun.

Just bought a .500JRH Maximum, and, a .475 Linebaugh Freedom Arms revolver. The 420 grain LBT, at 1520 max load, is supposed to generate 71 ft-lbs of recoil.:confused: :eek:

S

azredhawk44

454 Casull from a Freedom Arms.

A beast when I shot it, but I was a rookie shooter then. After owning a 44mag for a couple years, I'm itching to try again.:D

fairview mick

Hardest hitting hand gun

For me it was the first handgun I ever fired. One of my employees had a Ruger Super B/Hawk, 8&3/8 inch bbl. He had some hand loads and we were at a picnic in the boonies. I held the gun with my right hand and was way too close to my forehead, also held it very loosely. Hammer put a nice hole in my forehead, of which I have a scar some forty years later.

Eghad

The biggest thing I have shot was a 44 mag back in the 80s loaded up pretty perky, if you shot enough the recoil didn't bother you. I havent had a chance to shoot the big uns thay have these days. However, back in the 80s in IMSHA there wer' some Contenders and other bolt handguns that shot some pretty sadistic wildcat rounds....:eek: Once was enough for me.

Last edited:

tinman

I shoot the 500S&W mag and a Taurus 454 cassull "Raging Bull". Ballistically, the 500 wins hands down, and recoil wise also. The 454 is a sharp, obnoxious, but managable recoil, whereas the 500 is just obnoxious. When I first got the 454, I went to the range and loaded up all 5, and squeezed off a second round trying to hang on to the recoil of the first. I guess I was anticipating the massive recoil. I didn't have the same problems with the 500, although it's like holding out a brick. My wife will, and likes, to shoot the 500, but will not shoot anything but 45lc in the 454.

Mike in VA

Not counting a Contenter in a serious rifle caliber, I'd say it's a toss-up between a friend's Magnum Research BFR in 450 Marlin (10" barrel) or my own Ruger Vaquero (7 1/2" tube) shooting a Grizzly 300 gr. hardcast @ 1250 fps (hold on tight, use both hands). IIRC, the Ruger hurt more than the BFR, which considerably outweighed the Vaquero. Either would be an operative definition of torque & recoil in a handheld device -:cool:

Edward429451

I paid six bucks to shoot a FA 454 Casull, two times. It was worth it. It's a fantastic revo. This was a few yrs back when they were newish and I just had to shoot this 'twice as powerful as a 44 maggie' gun.

That recoil was memorable and I'm not so hot to buy one anymore for that reason. Plus I know it wont really do anything my 44's will with the appropriate loads.

Love that FA craftsmanship though. (If it was only a couple/three hundred cheaper...maybe. Oh well I can make my SBH hurt too.):D

Minator

One of those new I think its the .460 from S&W, I rented it at the range with some pretty stout hunting loads on the second shot it almost went out of my hands.:cool:

Mark54g

Shot a .44 Automag, 500 S&W and Ruger 480. The Ruger kicked the hardest by far. The 500 was soft by comparison, but I was shooting ligher loads out of it.

phrkshw

my poor ruger vaquero gets subjected to 45 Long Colt Magnum +Ps. hahahaha - its literally a hand cannon. fun to shoot at the range, you make all kinds of new friends

Phxdog

Launching 700 grainers out of a 4" 500 Magnum provides as much recoil as I ever want to experience in a handgun. Ridiculous, actually. I better hit what I'm aiming at with the 1st shot; for some reason I seem to anticipate recoil on the 2nd shot.:eek:

I usually shoot light reloads out of the 500: a 350 grain plated flat nose at about 800 fps & 500 ft. lbs at muzzle. Hardly any recoil and more punch than my 45 ACP.

I have a Thompson Contender in 45/70. With hot loads that can also be quite a handful.

Ruger .454casul Alaskan

I have shot the S&W .500 and the some other pretty big cannons but none were as impressive as the Alaskan. That 2.25" barrel made it a monster. Unfortunately it made it uncomfortable to shoot also. A few shots in and my teeth were even hurting. The recoil was unpleasant but tolerable. The boom from the firing was the worst part.

Top_Notch

My friend's brother had a T/C Contender that he loaded his own for, and they were hot reloads. I shot the gun about 10 times just because it was so much fun. The palm of my hand had a bruise on it for days afterwards. Not my type of gun that I would spend my money on, but fun nontheless. It was a real attention getter at the range.