Hardest Gun to Clean How Much Solvent????

Master Blaster

How many chemicals do you use in the cleaning process?? What about ventilation??

I read the gun cleaning procedure comments that George Hill made in an earlier thread.

George, the last step in your chemical fog process should be see pink elephants and little green elves and pass out.

Do you clean outside??? Does this alarm your neighbors.

Huffing solvent inside with my wife and kids is not an option. I use solvent amounts that would fit on a Q-tip.
The Q tips and dirty patches go in a water filled cofee can with a lid.

I would have to say that the hardest gun to clean is a .357 revolver after you have fired 100 rounds of .38 and then 50 rounds of .357. the crud in the chambers takes me a week and 4 cleanings to remove. I wised up now I shoot the .357 first then the .38.
This avoids baking the .38 crud on with the heat of the .357 rounds.

A small amount of shooters choice left to sit on a problem spot seems to remove lead fouling with a good brushing.

How do you clean your guns Do you use a lot of chemicals???

Do family members complain???

[This message has been edited by Master Blaster (edited April 29, 2000).]

denfoote

I use that evil tool of Satan...Hoppes #9!! ;)
I soak the patch by dipping it into the bottle. :eek:
The windows are open, and an exaust fan is on. :)
My girlfriend thinks that it smells nice. :) :)
The hardest gun to clean is still my Ruger MK-II. :mad:

------------------
BOYCOTT SMITH AND WESSON!!!
Defend the Constitution from the foreign threat!!!!

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
Master Blaster - You came real close to angering me... but I am in a good mood.
So what if I have to buy a cleaning solution more frequently? Who cares?
Why does this bother you?
Well Ventalated Area... The fumes are not enough to equate to "huffing".
Do you take me for a moron?
I am lazy - I like to enjoy shooting, but I hate to clean up. As a result I have found shortcuts that work for me. My guns are quite clean as a result. At the same time - I give pause to examine all the parts and give attention to the details... for I am no fool.

My method is different than yours - deal with it.

Pink Elephants? Gimme a break.

Long Path

I found a sale on one of my favorite gun-cleaning kits at Auto-Zone: 2 large cans of brake cleaner for $3.00.

Yes, I have to use it outside. But then, I would if I were cleaning my brakes, too...

At that price, I can be super liberal (! Scares me to say that! :)) with my stuff, and still get 3-5 guns per can cleaned.

Don't be steamed at Master Blaster, George; there's a difference between obstinance and silly; MB was merely being the latter.

panzerfuehrer

M60 machine gun. WAY too many little nooks and crannies. :D Never liked the CLP the Army uses on them either.

I buy Hoppes by the quart for my own weapons.

------------------
Panzerführer

Die Wahrheit ist eine Perle. Werfen sie nicht vor die Säue.

Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those that don't.

VictorLouis

Do a search here, and under G&A for MPro7. Odorless, non-toxic, and does just fine on anything re:handguns, incl. carbon and lead.

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
I have been using the Mpro-7 stuff fro some time now and Militec as well each for different things. They are great products...
But they all share the same quality - they work better when on the gun and not in the bottle.

Desert Dog

Winchester model 1890 target .22... You CAN'T get the action completely clean... You don't disassemble it either... :eek:

------------------
.45 Super... Fat and FAST...

"No provision in our Constitution ought to be dearer to man than that which protects the rights of conscience against the enterprises of the civil authority" - Thomas Jefferson

Dr.Rob

Staff Alumnus
when your guns are really cruddy.. or WET.. remove grips and immerse in deisel fuel.. shake rattle and roll (this will get all the water out, dissolve old cosmolene and loosen powder and lead fouling) remove... air dry... then clean as normal.

normal cleaning:

Wipe off excess powder/primer residue with a shop towel over externals.

Disasemble and wipe down each part with a shop towel (less black gunky solvent this way) clean as normal using hoppes #9 and GI Patches and bronze brushes

Turn on the fan and the no smoking light is on.

--------------------------------------

I hate cleaning my marlin 995.. you can't take it apart.. can't clean it from the breech.. can't get a decent tool into the chamber/receiver.. forced to spray powder solvent into action and let it run out repeatedly. Cotton swabs and q-tips add to the clean up.

Dr.Rob

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
Thats why I like the sprays... Gun Scrubber or other such cleaners to blast out the gunk in those hard to reach areas.

animal

Hey Master Blaster

WW2 era Mil. surplus bore cleaner !! It smells sooooo wonderful and will clean anything. :D

If you're really THAT worried about the smell, try Cascade and Jet Dry in the Dishwasher. :p

Hardest gun to clean? My Erfurt P-08 (I'm terrified of scratching the little sweetie) :eek:

[This message has been edited by animal (edited May 03, 2000).]

Tree Rat

Apply Shooters Choice Bore cleaner with a spray bottle to entire gun. Scrub with brushes, patches, Q-tips, plastic scrapers.
Degrease with Simple Green/Water mix and blow dry with LOTS of shop air. Rem-Oil all internal and external metal and thin out with more shop air. Lube with Tetra Lube and Grease. Especially effective for H&K and Glock firearms. Simple-Green degreases metal leaving a satin clean. Much better than those harsh spray cleaners. Tree Rat.

jthuang

I'll chip in a vote for MPro7 as well. Back when I lived at home in the sticks, I would go out to the patio to clean my guns, no big deal. Now that I'm in an apartment in Philadelphia, I can't do that any more.

MPro7 works well but remember the keys are agitation (brushing) and dwell time (the time it sits on the dirty gun).

HTH,

Justin

------------------
Justin T. Huang, Esq.
late of Kennett Square, Pennsylvania