Hard to operate a 742 action (maybe)?

jfrey123

So a Scheels just opened here in Reno, and it's pretty neat because it's the first store with all the rifles out in the open, ready to fondle. I handled one of the new BAR's with a chrome looking action, and it felt smooth and super easy. I can slide it with my pinky for heaven's sake!!!

Made me think about my Remington 742. By comparison, the 742 is a sticky, gritty feeling piece of junk action. Takes a LOT more effort to rack this action vs a similar design on newer guns.

How say you folks, should the Remington 742 action be as light as a feather like the BAR I felt earlier today? Or has this rifle always been harder to rack than others with similar actions?

*Thanks for the cleaning advice, but I'm looking for more of an overall opinion on the action itself. I always do a good cleaning on it already :) )

Last edited:

crowbeaner

Use Gunscrubber and shoot the inside of the receiver where the rails are just above the mag cutout. Dry and wipe it out with a clean used T-shirt so you can see that all the gunk is gone; you don't need to drown it, just use the spray tube to concentrate the spray where it needs to go. A drop or two of RemOil on each side for lube will suffice; anything heavier will attract powder residue and gunk; not good for the receiver. I use a light spray of white lithium grease on the action spring that runs along the gas tube; not a great amount, but enough to coat the tube and a bit on the spring. Cycle the action a couple times to spread the lithium along the spring and make sure it's lubed the entire length. Too many people overlube or underlube the action on a Remi semi and it CAN cause problems. Cleanliness and a thinner oil than say Hoppe's will help especially in cold weather. DON"T USE WD40! You will ruin the gun and have a major teardown headache! Just be sure the bolt lugs and the inner lugs in the receiver are clean of any gunk and here again a drop of Remoil is sufficient. I use a Q-tip dipped in Hoppe's to do this. If you have a plastic pick like the ones Midway sells, trace aroung the lugs with it to make sure there isn't any caked up gunk. CB.